Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

reFocus for Plex/Nine (BUG REPORTS)

El MassmanEl Massman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 585
edited August 2010 in Refocus
Please use this topic for reporting bugs only. Any comments you want to make regarding how amazingly awesome this skin is should be directed HERE.

Many thanks,

Marc

Comments

• bushdbushd Members Posts: 191
    with my tv shows on episode level with the "big list" view, the episode summary is not scroling with the rest. it looks funny and confusing :D
  • El MassmanEl Massman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 585
    bushd wrote on 31 August 2010 - 12:11 PM:

with my tv shows on episode level with the "big list" view, the episode summary is not scroling with the rest. it looks funny and confusing :D

Yeah, that's known. We can't put a textbox into a list to they have to stay outside and out of the animation. I'll look at animation them separately. I totally forgot, thanks!!
    take your time. :D I guess you're quite busy with all those skins the next few days ;)
  • sandman4suresandman4sure Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 788 Plex Ninja
    reFocus for XBMC shows the small plot outline for movies in the Slide viewmode
    Like for this movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1022603/

the small plot underneath the movie is
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An offbeat romantic comedy about a woman who doesn't believe true love exists, and the young man who falls for her.[/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]And when I press info I will see the whole plot.[/font]
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]This is much better for this view: no scrolling of text and stuff like that.[/font]
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Can you enable that?[/font]
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Thanks[/font]
  • noodlesoupnoodlesoup Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    Thanks for spending the time trying to port over the refocus skin from XBMC, I can imagine the time spent doing this. It is by far my favourite skin I used in a long time.

I do have a few questions though as a lot of the skin has changed in the changover and as such has lost a lot of its polish and simplicity. This may be due to having only ported over some of it and if so I understand completely how long these things can take.

My favourite thing about the refocus skin was the very minimal home screen putting the emphasis on your screen saver images or fan art of your media. The home screen now is nearly fully covered up by large banner buttons for tv, movies and music. Is there anyway way in the options to turn these banners off and go back to how it was in the original skin with just small text off to the side, like in the following image?
    [img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 1.png[/img]

Secondly the list menu's for both the movie and the tv show episodes don't look as polished as they did before. The TV show episodes list goes the full width and shows the full episode summary. And the Movie list only shows the title and the running time of each film. Again i've attached a couple of images showing the layout in XBMC.

[img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 3.png[/img]
    [img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 5.png[/img]
    [img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 6.png[/img]

I'm sorry if this comes across incorrectly as I and everyone here appreciates the amount of effort that goes into putting these skins together and porting them across from XBMC, but I was so excited to hear that refocus was getting ported to Plex as I was struggling with XBMC just to use the skin to be a bit dissapointed in the way it has changed.

I would like to learn the ins and outs of the skinning so if you would like to PM with the files that I could modify to get the skin to how I would like it that would be appreciated. I am a software engineer by profession so the understanding is not an issue just the time needed to learn it is.

Thanks for listening
  • henrikroxhenrikrox Members Posts: 41
    Just a small bug.

It seems refocus doesnt display any video information flags, no 480/720p/sd/hd whatever

changed back to the original plex 9 skin and the video flags does show
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,901 Plex Pass
    Can I just say, judging by the above screens, that what El Massman has done is for the best in regard to Plex Nine. He took the simplicity of the skin, and added more to it to give it that Plex edge. These ports aren't necessarily suppose to be like the original, it's an interpretation. I personally, like a little flare in a skin, and Marc has captured that so well! IMO the homescreen above is kind of boring...but now it is inviting, fresh, and new. Same goes with the other views too. Major props to the original skinner, no disrespect whatsoever. But, I think i speak for many when i say this, reFocus for Plex rocks :)
    noodlesoup wrote on 31 August 2010 - 01:28 PM:

Thanks for spending the time trying to port over the refocus skin from XBMC, I can imagine the time spent doing this. It is by far my favourite skin I used in a long time.

I do have a few questions though as a lot of the skin has changed in the changover and as such has lost a lot of its polish and simplicity. This may be due to having only ported over some of it and if so I understand completely how long these things can take.

My favourite thing about the refocus skin was the very minimal home screen putting the emphasis on your screen saver images or fan art of your media. The home screen now is nearly fully covered up by large banner buttons for tv, movies and music. Is there anyway way in the options to turn these banners off and go back to how it was in the original skin with just small text off to the side, like in the following image?
    [img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 1.png[/img]

Secondly the list menu's for both the movie and the tv show episodes don't look as polished as they did before. The TV show episodes list goes the full width and shows the full episode summary. And the Movie list only shows the title and the running time of each film. Again i've attached a couple of images showing the layout in XBMC.

[img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 3.png[/img]
    [img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 5.png[/img]
    [img]http://tonydilger.com/downloads/image 6.png[/img]

I'm sorry if this comes across incorrectly as I and everyone here appreciates the amount of effort that goes into putting these skins together and porting them across from XBMC, but I was so excited to hear that refocus was getting ported to Plex as I was struggling with XBMC just to use the skin to be a bit dissapointed in the way it has changed.

I would like to learn the ins and outs of the skinning so if you would like to PM with the files that I could modify to get the skin to how I would like it that would be appreciated. I am a software engineer by profession so the understanding is not an issue just the time needed to learn it is.

Thanks for listening

Those are all really good points. It's not come across incorrectly at all, don't worry. :) I plan on adding an option for a minimal home view again. The new version was an attempt at better incorporating the new library sections. I totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea though and I do want to stay as close to Jeroen's original vision as possible. Just know it will require more scolling to get to where you want to go. :) As for the list view, it was just incredibly hard to get working right from the off. I tried to focus on what I considered to be the main views and left a semi working list until a time I could get back to it and clean it up. It doesn't help that the skin's now based on an outdated copy of reFocus! Good news is I will be revisiting the list view and implementing it in the original way and I do fully intend to start adding in all of Jeroen's updates. It was just a case of getting over the initial porting hurdle.

Thanks,

Marc
    El Massman wrote on 31 August 2010 - 11:42 PM:

Those are all really good points. It's not come across incorrectly at all, don't worry. :) I plan on adding an option for a minimal home view again. The new version was an attempt at better incorporating the new library sections. I totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea though and I do want to stay as close to Jeroen's original vision as possible. Just know it will require more scolling to get to where you want to go. :) As for the list view, it was just incredibly hard to get working right from the off. I tried to focus on what I considered to be the main views and left a semi working list until a time I could get back to it and clean it up. It doesn't help that the skin's now based on an outdated copy of reFocus! Good news is I will be revisiting the list view and implementing it in the original way and I do fully intend to start adding in all of Jeroen's updates. It was just a case of getting over the initial porting hurdle.

Thanks,

Marc

Thanks for the reply Marc.

Please PM me if you need a hand doing any of this. as I've had a crack tonight and managed to get the home screen looking very similar to how it used to be. I assumed that the skin was a bit of a WIP, and looking at what you have done porting it across I am very impressed (I tried it for plex 8 and just gave up in the end).

Thanks again.
    edited August 2010
    oops double post. the site is a little slow tonight for some reason ;P
  • henrikroxhenrikrox Members Posts: 41
    el massman, i actually love the new banners on the home menu.

however, is there a way do you think in the future do change out the dog picture and the picture of the yellow chairs, kinda want some more "home theater" pictures. Those banners would be even more awesome if i could add my own custom background and change out dog/chairs
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,901 Plex Pass
    henrikrox wrote on 31 August 2010 - 06:00 AM:

however, is there a way do you think in the future do change out the dog picture and the picture of the yellow chairs, kinda want some more "home theater" pictures. Those banners would be even more awesome if i could add my own custom background and change out dog/chairs

You can :) Go to your media manager --> Customize Section --> Choose Background Art.
    edited August 2010
    henrikrox wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:00 PM:

you can change these via the Media Manager for each section ...

Edit: I see, Russ was faster :D
    edited August 2010
    henrikrox wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:00 PM:

Hey, you need to go to Media Manager and select "Customize Section > Choose Background Art". It's all in the release thread. :) Thanks for trying it out!

EDIT: Beaten two it by 2 people! The forum's crazy slow today.
    sandman4sure wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:18 PM:

reFocus for XBMC shows the small plot outline for movies in the Slide viewmode
    Like for this movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1022603/

the small plot underneath the movie is
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]An offbeat romantic comedy about a woman who doesn't believe true love exists, and the young man who falls for her.[/font]
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]And when I press info I will see the whole plot.[/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]This is much better for this view: no scrolling of text and stuff like that.[/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Can you enable that?[/font]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Thanks[/font]

Marc,

Can you tell me where to alter the XML to change it so it will show the small plot in Slide viewmode?
    Or is this information maybe not being added to the database by the new IMDB 'scraper' ?
  • MartinAylaMartinAyla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 848 Plex Pass
    First, thanks a lot for porting the best XBMC skin to Plex :)

But, I must say that I agree with NoodleSoup.

I really like the simple home menu, that Jeroen made, and I was actually expecting this port to mimic the original reFocus as much as possible.

PS. the "HD" overlays on posters in list view doesn't look like the grey ones I see when I use reFocus in XBMC, they are white and a bit hard to see, will that change, so they look like the ones from Jeroen's latest version?

Again, I really appreciate all the work on this and sorry for sounding negative, I just really like all Jeroen's choices when it comes to reFocus :)

/Martin

Martin wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:59 PM:

First, thanks a lot for porting the best XBMC skin to Plex :)

But, I must say that I agree with NoodleSoup.

I really like the simple home menu, that Jeroen made, and I was actually expecting this port to mimic the original reFocus as much as possible.

PS. the "HD" overlays on posters in list view doesn't look like the grey ones I see when I use reFocus in XBMC, they are white and a bit hard to see, will that change, so they look like the ones from Jeroen's latest version?

Again, I really appreciate all the work on this and sorry for sounding negative, I just really like all Jeroen's choices when it comes to reFocus :)

The original home menu will be added as an option. There just wasn't enough time to get everything out the door before release. :) As for the HD icons, the option to use custom flags was added last minute. I pushed an update a couple hours ago which should enable them for you.

Don't worry about sounding negative. You guys are all being really constructive and helpful. Comments like these will help to make the skin better for everyone.
    sandman4sure wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:48 PM:

Marc,

Can you tell me where to alter the XML to change it so it will show the small plot in Slide viewmode?
    Or is this information maybe not being added to the database by the new IMDB 'scraper' ?

Hey, I must have overlooked this post. Sorry, I'm finding the forum quite hard to navigate today. If you got to myvideo.xml and search for this...
    <control type="textbox" id="8">
    				<posy>60</posy>
    				<width>960</width>
    				<height>120</height>
    				<align>left</align>
    				<aligny>top</aligny>
    				<label>$INFO[ListItem.PlotOutline]</label>
    				<textcolor>text</textcolor>
    				<font>normalLow</font>
    				<visible>!IsEmpty(ListItem.Plotoutline)</visible>
    			</control>
    			<control type="textbox" id="8">
    				<posy>60</posy>
    				<width>960</width>
    				<height>120</height>
    				<align>left</align>
    				<aligny>top</aligny>
    				<label>$INFO[ListItem.Plot]</label>
    				<textcolor>text</textcolor>
    				<font>normalLow</font>
    				<visible>IsEmpty(ListItem.Plotoutline)</visible>
    			</control>

You should be able to change what you need. It's already configured to use plot outline unless there's no plot available though. It may be you need to change the order in which content is grabbed within Media Manager.
    I think that small plot outline is not available. Have added a topic in the Bug section.

Thanks
  • puithovepuithove Members, Plex Pass Posts: 407 Plex Pass
    edited September 2010
    *** Crash bug ***

Plex crashes when trying to set weather locations in reFocus. Tried same operation with other skins and it works fine. With reFocus, crashes every time. This is true whether accessing the weather locations through the "settings" or directly from the weather screen.

Steps to recreate:
    Go to Settings
    Go to Weather
    Change area code 1 (brings up zip-code entry dialog)
    Enter zip code 22551, press enter key - expect to see the location selection dialog but instead - CRASH.

Tried other zip codes of course - all the same. I think I see the location selection dialog for an instant before the crash.

*** Weather not displaying ***
    In addition to the above, weather info does not display for the locations that are already configured.

*** Thanks ***
    Thanks so much for doing the port - love the look of reFocus. I believe this will be my favorite by a longshot out of the current Plex 9 skins.