If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REQ] IP Camera Channel

RaptorConRaptorCon Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The request has been made before but those requests are old (2013 and 2010) regarding Blue Iris and or CCTV.

Has anyone recently looked into or is interested in developing a channel that:

- takes the input from

IP cameras or a third party application such as Blue Iris which has already performed the integration work of the IP camera into html format

RaptorCon

Comments

• johnpwilton@gmail.comjohnpwilton@gmail.com Posts: 3Members ✭✭

+1 for this. I've been hoping and wishing for years for an IP cam channel. I run several at my house, and Plex is almost always up at work, would be nice to have a quick channel to check in on the castle.

• Nobodyin303Nobodyin303 Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for this as well.

• ashmcalisterashmcalister Posts: 42Members

+1 for this

• mydutchcloudmydutchcloud Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Will there ever be an ip cam possibility?
    Lets hope for it
  • capolinomcapolinom Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for this as well.

• poisedforflightpoisedforflight Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

I'll throw in a vote as well.

• mchristianmchristian Posts: 40Members ✭✭

Do any of the plus 1's use IPTV?  Seems like there would be a way to achieve this thru that plugin.

Samsung UN40EH5300
    LG 65LM6200

• RaptorConRaptorCon Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I assume you mean IPTV such as provided by AT&T as a service? If that is the case then this would not be helpful to myself (and probably not others) as the reasons services like "Plex" have been so popular as they have delivered on features the customers want (demand) that the big boyz are never willing to provide.

I know AT&T partnered with some third party security companies a few years back but that is no different that the services I have now with my own equipment just with the additional massive fees (compared to $0.00 now) and contracts, as well their equipment, installation fees, etc... And that still does NOT get us a Plex channel to watch our IPTV cameras.

I know I (and probably the others that have requested a Plex channel) already have several cameras, a camera server/multiplexer/dvr/web interface or a mixture of one or all of what I have listed. It would just be nice to have it all in the same app/interface that we use for our other home media services (photo/video/movies/TV/music). I'm even thinking going one step further and hoping they get a simple file server and web service so I can get rid of my SharePoint server. Of course then I (or we) will just request messaging, instant and SMTP, and voice/video conferencing capabilities as well, then some high availability load balancing while we're at it... :D

RaptorCon

• gustavoasgustavoas Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Copying here a request I've done in another location, maybe this is a better place since it's not a central function of Plex:

This has been asked several times but I could not find an official feature request. I have a few security cameras and it would be great if I could access them through Plex. I have plex clients running in all TVs, smartphones and tablets, having the IP Cam streaming through plex would give me an All in One solution, instead of opening different apps or typing the address in my browser. All cameras have specific IP addresses that could be recorded in PMS so that it would be easily accessed everywhere!

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/175733/get-ip-cameras-as-channels#latest

• RaptorConRaptorCon Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

One person here with $100.00 for a channel interface to the Blue Iris Camera Server Application (http streaming). Of course a channel that supported 100's of IP and web based cameras would suffice as well, but why not let the Camera App folks deal with those headaches and just give us an interface to the Blue Iris Camera Server?

RaptorCon

• Jeremywesley@gmail.comJeremywesley@gmail.com Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for a channel to support IP webCamera

• fooledyasfooledyas Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also would be interested in such a channel

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,694Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The problem here is that there is not one standard for ip cameras. You can't create a generic "ip camera" channel. And since not that many channel devs have ip cameras, the request remains open I'm afraid.

• vincent.vallee@gmail.comvincent.vallee@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for this, a feature I really miss from Kodi

• rog667rog667 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 would love to see ability for Plex DVR to record video streams from IP cams. Useful for cams that have motion-activation, used for security.

• JamesMcBrideJamesMcBride Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 just something that would accept a stream url (that works in ffmpeg) would be perfect for me.
    I use zoneminder (on the same box as plex) and it would be so useful to be able to see the ZM streams in plex (TV and mobile clients)

• firminhofirminho Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not sure if it will help, but I'll throw in a +1 as well.

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,694Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@firminho said:
    Not sure if it will help, but I'll throw in a +1 as well.

That doesn't help B) Only someone who owns such a camera will be able to figure out how to get to the video streams and create a channel for it.