If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Premium music features :(

andyclimbandyclimb Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was so excited...  but then it didn't work.  

Apparently advanced features from grace note are available on freebsd... 

Does anyone have any ideas of a workaround? Or know more specifically what they are talking about?  

A

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,397Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/205744257-Getting-Started-with-Plex-Music

Many features, including premium ones like VEVO music videos, will work on FreeBSD.

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• plex4freenasplex4freenas Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So what features are the ones that do not work?

Unsupported Media Server Platforms

The following platforms are not supported for Premium music libraries:

• FreeBSD
    • Synology (PowerPC)
    • Thecus (PowerPC)
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,397Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Gracenote features: premium metadata, fingerprinting, and Plex Mix.

Time to come to the dark side? We all run Linux with ZFS ;)

• rlobbinsrlobbins Posts: 189Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    elan wrote on April 30 2015, 7:15 PM: »

So these features will never be added to the FreeBSD builds.

• jhidenfelterjhidenfelter Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm crushed!  I updated on my FreeNAS box and none of the features were there...  I'm seriously considering switching to another platform, I really wanted the mix feature.  I'm wondering if Linux or Windows would be a better fit, thoughts?

• rlobbinsrlobbins Posts: 189Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jhidenfelter wrote on April 30 2015, 10:43 PM: »

I'm crushed!  I updated on my FreeNAS box and none of the features were there...  I'm seriously considering switching to another platform, I really wanted the mix feature.  I'm wondering if Linux or Windows would be a better fit, thoughts?

Yeah I was thinking of switching, but the hassle of moving and migrating my Plex install (database is up to 200gb now) is going to be a project in it's self. I also noticed on my FreeBSD install I don't see clients to start playing things on like I did with my linux install. I guess I will just keep using Spotify for my music and just using Plex for one off stuff that Spotify doesn't have. Was really excited for the update because music is awful in Plex, but it isn't worth the hassle for one feature.

• compcentralcompcentral Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Will gracenote ever be supported in FreeBSD?  What makes this so different than any other platform?

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,970Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    compcentral wrote on May 1 2015, 12:53 PM: »

Will gracenote ever be supported in FreeBSD? 

It depends on if Gracenote creates a library that can be used on FreeBSD.

compcentral wrote on May 1 2015, 12:53 PM: »

What makes this so different than any other platform?

There's a lot of things that make it different, but in this case it is that Gracenote doesn't have any libraries that run on FreeBSD.

• compcentralcompcentral Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I guess I'll have to install some other flavor of Linux in a FreeNAS jail to make this work.  Any other suggestions?

Are there any guides out there for migrating a plex install to another computer?

• TerranPhilTerranPhil Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bummer. I just upgraded Plex on my FreeNAS build and was hoping to test out the new music feature, the the GraceNote ones in particular. I did not know Linux and ZFS was an option until now and the thought of changing so soon after building this FreeNAS setup doesn't sound to appealing.

• undervillainundervillain Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    elan wrote on April 30 2015, 7:15 PM: »

I'm actually pretty disappointed to see this response.  We all have our reasons for running the platforms that we run, and FreeBSD is a lot more to me than just "Linux with ZFS".  In any case, put me down as another FreeBSD user who's disappointed by the feature not working, but I understand that you're somewhat limited based on what Gracenote will make available.  Hopefully if there's enough support, that will give you some leverage to make it easier to negotiate for a FreeBSD-compatible library being built/ported/licensed/whatever-is-holding-it-up.

In the meantime, is there any indication that this might work in a Linux jail?  That's the only acceptable alternative for me.

• arionlarionl Posts: 108Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    undervillain wrote on May 1 2015, 8:46 PM: »

I'm actually pretty disappointed to see this response.  We all have our reasons for running the platforms that we run, and FreeBSD is a lot more to me than just "Linux with ZFS".  In any case, put me down as another FreeBSD user who's disappointed by the feature not working, but I understand that you're somewhat limited based on what Gracenote will make available.  Hopefully if there's enough support, that will give you some leverage to make it easier to negotiate for a FreeBSD-compatible library being built/ported/licensed/whatever-is-holding-it-up.

In the meantime, is there any indication that this might work in a Linux jail?  That's the only acceptable alternative for me.

In the same boat here. I'd consider Linux + ZFS if there was something equivalent to FreeNAS but I've looked far and wide and there isn't (OpenMediaVault is closest, but only with community/beta ZFS support). I guess we're in that weird zone where we want more than the consumer NAS devices (like the Drobos and Netgears) but don't have any interest in maintaining a system by hand that should just be an appliance. I used to do everything by hand with Linux (storage and firewalls) but I've moved to pfSense and FreeNAS..

As far as a FreeBSD jail for Plex, from what I've read on the FreeNAS forums there you can only run a 32-bit jail bit I see there are 32-bit Linux Plex downloads still available so it might be worth a shot if this ends up being a long term feature gap..

P.S. I submitted a "Support Issue" on Gracenote's web site asking for a FreeBSD SDK :)

undervillain wrote on May 1 2015, 8:46 PM: »

I'm actually pretty disappointed to see this response.  We all have our reasons for running the platforms that we run, and FreeBSD is a lot more to me than just "Linux with ZFS".

I apologize for disappointing you, obviously you have your reasons for running FreeBSD, and I respect those. (You might be interested to know that I personally was the one who ported the server to FreeBSD in the first place.)

There's not a lot we can do here at the moment. Gracenote doesn't provide the libraries for FreeBSD, and a new port sounded incredibly expensive when we chatted with them about it.

• j_r0ddj_r0dd Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is sad sad news. I just switched to FreeNAS as my NAS for numerous reasons. Plex is a must for me and my family and these music changes are something I am extremely thrilled about. I hope this isn't a trend of the direction of the FreeBSD port. I understand the fault lies on Gracenote, but to be in that list with PowerPC kind of stings a bit....

j_r0dd wrote on May 2 2015, 1:36 AM: »

I understand the fault lies on Gracenote, but to be in that list with PowerPC kind of stings a bit....

Hey, you're going to make the people with PowerPC-based NAS devices feel bad :)

• undervillainundervillain Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    arion wrote on May 1 2015, 9:13 PM: »

I submitted a "Support Issue" on Gracenote's web site asking for a FreeBSD SDK :)

That's a good idea, I'm going to do the same.

elan wrote on May 1 2015, 10:06 PM: »

I apologize for disappointing you, obviously you have your reasons for running FreeBSD, and I respect those. (You might be interested to know that I personally was the one who ported the server to FreeBSD in the first place.)

There's not a lot we can do here at the moment. Gracenote doesn't provide the libraries for FreeBSD, and a new port sounded incredibly expensive when we chatted with them about it.

Thanks for your response elan, and I'm sorry if I was a little harsher with my post than I should have been.  That wan't really my intention, but it's been a long week here and I'm definitely a little worn down by it (definitely looking forward to streaming some media off of my Plex server!).

Hopefully Gracenote will provide FreeBSD compatible libraries at some point in the future.  If you find yourself needing a guinea pig to test them out, I'd certainly be willing to help in that way.  And if I do manage any success with the linux jail, I'll be sure to post about it.

• hungarianhchungarianhc Posts: 155Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sigh... this sucks. Really sucks. My primary use-case for my FreeNAS build is plex server. Ugh. Okay well if someone finds a dandy way to get a Linux jail running, report back.

• BodgeITBodgeIT Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Another FreeNAS user, another PlexPass owner shedding a tear!

• FritvetBEFritvetBE Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Too sad to read all this :(

• michaelkroesmichaelkroes Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Has anyone looked at the linux compatibility layer on FreeBSD yet?