If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost

tonyamazingtonyamazing Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass

Hi,

A quick Google search yields no results for the error message that I'm getting.

SdrnAv2l.jpg

On my Android TV (Nexus Player) I get an error stating "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry." This is happening on all of the videos that I have tried so far (I only purchased the device a few days ago).

The audio track sometimes loops whilst the picture is frozen before this happens. I can imagine the "littering and" scene from Super Troopers would be confusing if this happened at the exact spot.

Playback resumes perfectly fine when clicking Retry. I can also click the back button and resume from the regular interface. This error happens as often as every few minutes.

I have a HTPC in my living room running Plex Home Theatre that has no problems. The Nexus Player is replacing a bedroom laptop also running Plex Home Theatre. The server is a basic HP N36L. The server is terrible at transcoding; everything is direct play.

The app was updated a couple of hours ago (which seems to have addressed some of the 1080p playback issues Edit: No it hasn't. My Avatar rip is still choppy).

Is anyone else experiencing this error?

http://i.imgur.com/SdrnAv2.jpg

Thanks.

Best Answer

• halfluckhalfluck Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Fun being a guinee pig isn't is :mellow:

I was experiencing the same issue for the first time last night, I think the version you are running has introduced this bug.

There was an update this morning that looks like it could fix the issue?

Plex for Android v4.2.3.358

Plex for Android Google Play ~ download page

Plex for Android APK ~ here (Plex Pass required)

Will be available on the Amazon App Store really soon

FIXES:
    - Fix regression where Manual Connections weren't used.
    - Fix crash while performing device reachability tests in the background.
    - Correctly show playback notification after connecting to a remote that is already playing something.

Answers

• halfluckhalfluck Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Fun being a guinee pig isn't is :mellow:

I was experiencing the same issue for the first time last night, I think the version you are running has introduced this bug.

There was an update this morning that looks like it could fix the issue?

Plex for Android v4.2.3.358

Plex for Android Google Play ~ download page

Plex for Android APK ~ here (Plex Pass required)

Will be available on the Amazon App Store really soon

FIXES:
    - Fix regression where Manual Connections weren't used.
    - Fix crash while performing device reachability tests in the background.
    - Correctly show playback notification after connecting to a remote that is already playing something.

• tonyamazingtonyamazing Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass

Girlfriend watched a couple of episodes of a TV show and said that it didn't crash, so it looks like the update has fixed the issue. Will report back if otherwise.

... now on to that 1080p problem.

• shomie911shomie911 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 2015

I'm getting this issue even after installing the latest update on both the Server and my Android device.

It plays the video for at most a minute then gives the error and then only plays for 15-30 seconds after pressing Retry.

Has made my Plex Server useless. Payed for the original Android app multiple times on all my devices, then they switched to the subscription model and now I'm paying for the Plex Pass as well, so not too happy about the recent issues.

• LooRLooR Posts: 2Members
    I use Plex for more than a year whit my setup, everything runs mostly fine but for around 1 or 2 weeks i have the same issue here now, playback stopp on every bigger video after some minute(debends how big) whit "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry". So v4.2.3.358 fix nothing.

On the server i can see that the Plex Media Transcoder task disappear after some minute but no crash report or other log entry.
  • hpkahpka Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also affected, everything similar to what others have posted.

Anyone found a fix yet?

* Plex Media Server installed on OpenMediaVault 2.2.1 64bit on an Acer Travelmate 6593 (Intel C2D 2.26ghz + 4GB RAM)

* Raspberry Pi Model B 512mb ram running Rasplex - My step-by-step guide to running Rasplex from a USB Stick

* Chromecast 1 & 2
    * WD TV Live Streaming
    * PS3
    * Sony BRAVIA TV

* Two 2012 Nexus 7s, iPhone 6 and LG G4

* Nexus Player (in the first batch of preorders)

• AndyASAndyAS Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Exactly Same thing happens to me too, Plex Media Server on a Synology Nas streaming to a Nexus Player. Happens almost daily.

• defendidefendi Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here as of tonight with my Amazon Fire TV.

• defendidefendi Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I reinstalled. Now I just have trouble restarting videos in the middle. It looks like that problem and the former one only happens when it needs to transcode the file.

• zombu2zombu2 Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

same here Amazon firetv none of my videos will play
    it first says your connection to the plex server is too slow then connection lost

EDIT:
    Turning the experimental player off and running the normal one has fixed the playback for me but resume still does not work

• TripledropTripledrop Posts: 168Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seems like I have the same issue, either get that message, or one saying my network connection isn't fast enough for the file I'm playing. Only since yesterday...

Plex, please help

• BurnjackBurnjack Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here. Turning the experimental player off and running the normal one has fixed the playback but this doesn't work sometimes.

• jrm125jrm125 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Happening to me too.

• i_satani_satan Posts: 6Members

Looks like I chose the wrong week to get both the Fire stick & Fire TV. Both now crashing. If it snorted sorted soon both are going back. I only bought these for Plex and it's now broken. Sort it out please Plex.

Turning off experimental player fixed the playback, but resume still doesn't work on the normal player

• innomaninnoman Posts: 147Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I turned off experimental player and some stuff started working but other didn't. There is just strange behavior all the way around with the latest update. Direct Play fixed some issues, not others.

• artbatistaartbatista Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Latest 2-3 version are broken. I fixed that by installing 4.2.3

Come on Plex staff, where's the support?!

• zaphinathzaphinath Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

After the update for the fire tv I get this same error message. I have rebooted both the server and client. Have the latest versions on both. Uninstalled and reinstalled the client. Plex staff please address this issue.

• RJCSYS.PlexRJCSYS.Plex Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

install Kodi/titan skin/plexbmc v4 addon
    makes a Great replacement for the broken plex app on firetv
    and...you get access to playlists

• tomorrowsmantomorrowsman Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here -- just over the last few days getting this new "connection to the server has been lost" error. Aggravating to no end. Are we just fucked on this?