Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Difficulty adding "Documentaries" category.

johnny121bjohnny121b Members, Plex Pass Posts: 46 Plex Pass

Is there some reason PLEX wouldn't properly scan a share named "Documentaries" that's categorized as "TV Shows" ?

Is PLEX somehow limited to one category that's configured as TV Shows?

I already have a TV folder that's very completely populated, and PLEX scans it very well.  All TV shows in their own sub-folders. 

I already have a MOVIE folder that's very completely populated, and plex scans it very well.

I have a /movie/HALLMARK folder, categorized as MOVIE folder, again, scanned well.

I have /movie/CLASSIC SCI-FI folder, another MOVIE folder: successful

I have a /movie/BUSTER KEATON folder....works fine.

etc.etc.etc.  You get the idea- several shares, using the MOVIE category.  All work fine.

Until yesterday, I only had ONE TV category, but I waned to segregate the rather LARGE collection of non-indexed documentay videos I've amassed.  I've accepted the fact they'll never be as cleanly integrated into my collection.  The infrastructure just doesn't exist to automatically populate their information.  And I'm fine with that, but I wanted to gather them all in one place, so that when I'm in the mood to watch an obscure documentary, I can just select that category and cherry-pick a show.  Easy-enough....I thought.

I copy about 100 of the documentaries into the sub-folder /tv/Documentaries, create the category in PLEX, point it at the folder....It never populates....says there's 0-items in there.

I change the folder name to /tv/Docs, reconfigure PLEX...same result.

I delete the category and re-add it....same result.

I delete the category AGAIN and re-add it, THIS TIME choosing the cateogry HOME MOVIES....BANG!  PLEX instantly begins adding the files...same folder, same place, same files, but PLEX never saw them until I chose HOME MOVIES instead of TV SHOWS while creating the category...

Why?

Comments

• Jon PanozzoJon Panozzo Members Posts: 5
    johnny121b wrote on May 1 2015, 1:17 PM: »

Is there some reason PLEX wouldn't properly scan a share named "Documentaries" that's categorized as "TV Shows" ?

Is PLEX somehow limited to one category that's configured as TV Shows?

I already have a TV folder that's very completely populated, and PLEX scans it very well. All TV shows in their own sub-folders.
    I already have a MOVIE folder that's very completely populated, and plex scans it very well.
    I have a /movie/HALLMARK folder, categorized as MOVIE folder, again, scanned well.
    I have /movie/CLASSIC SCI-FI folder, another MOVIE folder: successful
    I have a /movie/BUSTER KEATON folder....works fine.
    etc.etc.etc. You get the idea- several shares, using the MOVIE category. All work fine.

Until yesterday, I only had ONE TV category, but I waned to segregate the rather LARGE collection of non-indexed documentay videos I've amassed. I've accepted the fact they'll never be as cleanly integrated into my collection. The infrastructure just doesn't exist to automatically populate their information. And I'm fine with that, but I wanted to gather them all in one place, so that when I'm in the mood to watch an obscure documentary, I can just select that category and cherry-pick a show. Easy-enough....I thought.

I copy about 100 of the documentaries into the sub-folder /tv/Documentaries, create the category in PLEX, point it at the folder....It never populates....says there's 0-items in there.
    I change the folder name to /tv/Docs, reconfigure PLEX...same result.
    I delete the category and re-add it....same result.
    I delete the category AGAIN and re-add it, THIS TIME choosing the cateogry HOME MOVIES....BANG! PLEX instantly begins adding the files...same folder, same place, same files, but PLEX never saw them until I chose HOME MOVIES instead of TV SHOWS while creating the category...

Why?

Wouldn't documentaries be classified as movies, not TV shows?
    Using Tapatalk
  • jmckeejmckee Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,801 Plex Ninja
    johnny121b wrote on May 1 2015, 1:17 PM: »

Why?

It depends on what you have the documentaries named as if you don't have them named as a TV Show (Documentary 1.S01E01) then plex won't add them as Plex looks for TV Shows in a TV show library.

I have 3 TV Show libraries with about 8 different sub folders.

• johnny121bjohnny121b Members, Plex Pass Posts: 46 Plex Pass

That was what I thought....originally.

I felt my post was getting long-winded, so I didn't include the fact- that my /Documentaries/ sub-folder WAS originally under /movie/   but it never would populate (even changing category from 'movie' to 'tv show'.....so I moved the folder & files from underneath /movie/ to /tv/ ......no change.  In desperation, I created a 'Documenatries' share in unraid and moved the folder completely outside of both the /tv/ and /movie/  trees......and THAT'S where my story begins.

J_McKee wrote on May 1 2015, 1:29 PM: »

It depends on what you have the documentaries named as if you don't have them named as a TV Show (Documentary 1.S01E01) then plex won't add them as Plex looks for TV Shows in a TV show library.

I have 3 TV Show libraries with about 8 different sub folders.

Sounds reasonable.  But I was never able to get it to see them under MOVIES either.  They're now in their own folder, in their own share, completely apart from both categories' folders.  I even named the category "Docs" just in case "Documentaries" was somehow cursed.

johnny121b wrote on May 1 2015, 1:36 PM: »

Sounds reasonable.  But I was never able to get it to see them under MOVIES either.  They're now in their own folder, in their own share, completely apart from both categories' folders.  I even named the category "Docs" just in case "Documentaries" was somehow cursed.

Inititally I had mine in my movies folder as well.  I only moved it to consolidate after I switched to FreeBSD and had a bigger pool instead of individual drives... But an example I have is:

\media\TV Shows\Documentaries\Carl Sagan's Cosmos\

| - Cosmos.S01E01.avi

| - Cosmos.S01E02.avi

| - Cosmos.S01E03.avi

etc

In this case the TV show library is pointed to my Documentaries folder (It must point 1 level above your actual show folders but what it is named is irrelevant)

J_McKee wrote on May 1 2015, 1:39 PM: »

In this case the TV show library is pointed to my Documentaries folder (It must point 1 level above your actual show folders but what it is named is irrelevant)

All the more reason I wouldn't want my Docs collection under TV show.  My ORGANIZED documenatares (Cosmos, inlcuded!) are properly nestled under /TV/ and indexed quite well.

The share/category I was creating...is for those documenataries at aren't part of an organized series, that don't show up on thetvdb, that PLEX will never be able to automatically describe....my documentary ghetto.

johnny121b wrote on May 1 2015, 1:46 PM: »

All the more reason I wouldn't want my Docs collection under TV show.  My ORGANIZED documenatares (Cosmos, inlcuded!) are properly nestled under /TV/ and indexed quite well.

The share/category I was creating...is for those documenataries at aren't part of an organized series, that don't show up on thetvdb, that PLEX will never be able to automatically describe....my documentary ghetto.

But how are they named?  If you make up a name 'Fake Documentary' and place a file in there with proper naming it will still show up in a TV Library even without being in theTVDB they just wont have any metadata.  The only way it will not show up in a TV library is if you don't have them named as a TV Show.  

J_McKee wrote on May 1 2015, 1:53 PM: »

But how are they named?  If you make up a name 'Fake Documentary' and place a file in there with proper naming it will still show up in a TV Library even without being in theTVDB they just wont have any metadata.  The only way it will not show up in a TV library is if you don't have them named as a TV Show.  

Sorry- I think you misunderstood me.  My post (immediately after your first) was in response to Jon.  Your first post actually cleared-up some of my confusion on the naming requirements for TV shows.  It also shed some insight into the implications of selecting TV Show vs Movie category.  I wasn't aware it influenced PLEX's expectations when scanning.  I thought I was just choosing the icon used to represent the category on home screen.  I was focusing on the implications of physical location- not the menu selection I was making.  Thanks for that insight.

johnny121b wrote on May 1 2015, 2:36 PM: »

Sorry- I think you misunderstood me.  My post (immediately after your first) was in response to Jon.  Your first post actually cleared-up some of my confusion on the naming requirements for TV shows.  It also shed some insight into the implications of selecting TV Show vs Movie category.  I wasn't aware it influenced PLEX's expectations when scanning.  I thought I was just choosing the icon used to represent the category on home screen.  I was focusing on the implications of physical location- not the menu selection I was making.  Thanks for that insight.

Ahh sorry then, didnt mean to keep dragging it on. =D

But just another helpful tip if they are named like a TV show then the movie scanner won't scan them in. 

• Doom187Doom187 Members Posts: 1

This is super belated, but I just ran into the same problem with Discovery Channel's How Beer Saved the World. After scratching my head for a bit, I tossed the video into FileBot. While it struggled with naming, it stumbled on it's origin channel. I typed Discovery Channel Documentaries, and it popped up with the match from TheTVDB. The main file is still in TV.

TV\Discovery Channel Documentaries\Season 1\ Discovery Channel Documentaries - S1E184 - How Beer Saved The World.avi

You just have to specify the channel the documentaries came from. I hope this helps someone.

• vinchi007vinchi007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Can Plex create a solution to this problem? Documentaries are Movies and multi-episode Shows, we need to have some sort of merged approach or allow us to enable all available (movie & tv) scanners in the library.

• PLEX6FCPLEX6FC Members Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have recently added some vintage clips of Farnborough airshow from various years in the 1950's. These are short 10 minute clips. Technically they are a series, one for each year, but they don't appear in TheTVDB.

I also have other DVD documentaries that are hour long movies effectively.

NOTE: Most of these videos will not appear in TheTVDB, or any other online database. They are not mainstream / popular media.

This documentary requirement does not fit with the PLEX library model of either a TV show, or a Movie. it's somewhere in between...

If I build my Documentaries library as TV shows, the long DVD documentaries do not appear, but if I build it as Movies, it does, but the shorter series of clips all appear as individual movies, not grouped by a folder as such for you to click into to see the episodes as you wold a TV series.

Cheers, Scott.

• jasondunnjasondunn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass
    edited February 23

I found this thread because I have the same problem. Some documentaries are TV shows, some are "movies" insofar as they are one-offs. It's a little surprising that after all this time, Plex hasn't solved for this problem - it's not like documentaries are some rare, niche type of video content...

And now that I've tried adding them as "other videos" as the category, yikes, what a mess that is. Almost seems like having a TV Documentaries and Movie Documentaries - two separate libraries - is the only option.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,709 Plex Pass

I have found that all my documentaries that are single episodes (Not part of a series like through the wormhole or the universe) work fine in a library set up as movies. They will not get found in a library set up like TV shows.

The converse is also true. If the documentaries are part of a series and named like a TV show series and in a library set up as TV Shows, they work fine. But single episode documentaries do not display in a TV show type library.

This is successful 99% of the time.

• kiwiteakiwitea Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I have been very frustrated with this. I have done a work around to somewhat organize but it is not at all what I would like and takes a lot of time and effort. I have 2 folders for documentaries/tv factual and have them directing to the appropriate metadata filter. Unfortunately it is not always readily apparent what will be seen as a movie and what as a tv show (regardless of being a one-off). I would really like to be able to just have a Documentaries folder and these be listed - I really don't want to go through series for this stuff but it seems the only way for Plex to recognize the files

• vinchi007vinchi007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I am also looking for the best solution. Plex - please listen to the users. We need to have the ability to turn on both agents "Movies" and "TV Shows" in a single library. This would solve the problem with Documentaries and Cartoons.

As I see how this is built, making a change like that would be a MAJOR overhaul to the entire PMS system.

Don't forget how movies and tv shows are displayed differently within the PMS and all the other related functions..

• fernanluyanofernanluyano Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I run into the same problem. My solution is to create 2 separate libraries: Documentaries(series) and Documentaries(singles). The series one as a tv show, and the second one as movies. That did the trick.

edited May 22

@fernanluyano
    That is EXACTLY how I solved this issue. Works fine for 99% of all titles being DL'ed by Plex Library Updates..

I thought I mentioned this before like that.
    I just assumed it did not work for @johnny121b

• ridleyrumpusridleyrumpus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@fernanluyano said:
    I run into the same problem. My solution is to create 2 separate libraries: Documentaries(series) and Documentaries(singles). The series one as a tv show, and the second one as movies. That did the trick.

Did you leave both types in the same physical location on your server? Or move everything to Doc.Series and the other to Doc.Singles?