If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Sony Bravia with OperaTV

So I recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL-42W706b and the OperaTV Store has a Plex app. But when I enter the app, it says it's exclusive for Plex Pass users. Is there a way to buy the access to the app without the Plex Pass? And does the app even work well?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• newborn2k13newborn2k13 Posts: 1Members

The plex app for sony bravia using opera tv store is still in its developmental stages, hence it is only available for plex pass users initially for beta testing purposes. I have used the app myself after paying for 1 month plex pass subscription and the app works just fine. It may not be as feature rich as plex for samsung ( which uses a far superior processors for its TV's) but it serves the purpose. 

• Overdrive95Overdrive95 Posts: 2Members
    newborn2k13 wrote on May 7 2015, 5:44 AM: »

The plex app for sony bravia using opera tv store is still in its developmental stages, hence it is only available for plex pass users initially for beta testing purposes. I have used the app myself after paying for 1 month plex pass subscription and the app works just fine. It may not be as feature rich as plex for samsung ( which uses a far superior processors for its TV's) but it serves the purpose. 

Any idea how long it will take to be released to public? Would be really nice to know.

• leonogueirapintoleonogueirapinto Posts: 1Members
    This app is not working at all, even if you have a plex pass account (that´s my case).
    It successfully connected to my plex media server (I can see the thumbnails of my media library), but unfortunately the app crashes every time I try to watch any media. It crashes during buffering stage.
  • vasiliy.gurevvasiliy.gurev Posts: 445Members, International Forum Moderator ✭✭

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/144616-plex-%D0%B2-opera-tv-store/

molodoy wrote on March 6 2015, 7:45 AM: »

Вобщем купил plex pass на месяц, попробовать.

--

Что-то не очень мне понравилась работа plex интерфейс подтормаживает, фильмы, сериалы и прочее отображается только постерами, нет возможности выбрать вид списком.. Два раза ТВ вообще завис когда листал фильмы, пришлось от розетки отключать((

--

ТВ подключен по wifi, может отсюда и тормоза конечно.. Сегодня подключу проводом и проверю еще раз!

--

Подключил проводом, проблемы остались...

Generally I bought plex pass for a month, to try.
    -
    Something not really I liked operation of plex the interface brakes, movies, series and other is displayed only by posters, there is no opportunity to select a look the list. Two times of TV generally I hung up when went through movies, it was necessary to power off ((
    -
    By TV it is connected on wifi, can from here and brakes of course. Today I will connect a wire and I will double-check!
    -
    I connected a wire, problems remained...

It is translated by means of the translator.

• MarkFaceMarkFace Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Hi there,

So I'm a "Free" user and also spotted the Plex app on my "Sony KDL-32W705B" , and it says it will be free for me to use "soon".., so i'm really excited, and I simply can't wait to use this :P

So i was just curious for the release date anyone? 

Loving Plex btw!

Greetz from the Netherlands!

bye 

• BogerFlixBogerFlix Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Also the Plex app on the Sony TV requires everything to be transcoded. If they allowed direct play of whatever my TV could handle. (pretty much anything, except Vc-1 and Truehd) I would resub for the App.

• gshortegshorte Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a lifetime plex membership, bought it in part so that I could use the Plex client on my Sony TV.

I have issues with play back also. It buffers every 10 seconds or so. very disappointed.

I don't really understand why there should be a problem, using plex as a DLNA server I can play the same context back on the same TV without issue (is transcoding the issue? I tried changing the settings with no success).

I use a qnap nas box as the server, it has enough power to transcode and playback content using HDMI connected to an older (non smart) tv.  

IS there a problem with the Sony plea client?

• CLOUDPLEXTVCLOUDPLEXTV Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Recently shared with some friends who owns a Sony Bravia latest smart TV... and they purchased PLEX PASS and was a total disappointment because it keep crashing... Now i'm being blamed for tricking them to purchase a incomplete app. I think better to remove the require PLEX PASS it's bad for publicity image. Keep it free like Samsung Smart TV but a simple notice is in BETA. Just my two cents it is bad for business.

• Fincham99Fincham99 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is a lot to like about Plex, but it is not the one stop shop that I would like.

When I bought a new Sony KD-65X8500B ie 4K, TV connected to my PC in the study via Ethernet I thought the issues of video buffering and lack of definition when showing photos would vanish, but alas not.

I use the Opera TV app because I prefer to use the TV remote to navigate and of course the great UI Plex provides. However, despite changing the quality setting I cannot sit back confident that what I am watching is not going to stop at some stage, which completely spoils the viewing experience. As commented by 'gshorte' above using Plex as a DLNA server provides playback without issue. Hooking up our laptop using Plex Media Player or Plex HT via HDMI cable similarly does not cause any issues.

So why not spend the $$ and have a dedicated HTPC? We then get back to the (lack of) remote control navigation issue and the second, and probably the biggest, issue I have with Plex in general ie the lack of definition when playing back photos. I have a Nikon D7000 camera and have thousands of high quality ie sharp photos, which when played on the TV look great, but played back either via the Opera app, Plex Media Player and Plex HT the photos lack definition - why is that?

So to summarise; I view my photos via the TV and the Plex server, I view my videos/movies using the Opera TV app for that great Plex UI and ease of navigation, and if the Opera app starts buffering I revert back to the Plex server on the TV. One day I hope I can view both my photos and videos on the Opera TV app and when that day comes I will be a very happy man - what about it Plex?

• rhinoman01rhinoman01 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For balance, the app works great for me with a wired network connection on my KDL55W755C

• Hillside16Hillside16 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a same issue as ashorte:-
    have a lifetime plex membership, bought it in part so that I could use the Plex client on my Sony TV.
    I have issues with play back also. It buffers every 10 seconds or so. very disappointed.
    I don't really understand why there should be a problem, using plex as a DLNA server I can play the same context back on the same TV without issue (is transcoding the issue? I tried changing the settings with no success).
    I use a qnap nas box as the server, it has enough power to transcode and playback content using HDMI connected to an older (non smart) tv.
    IS there a problem with the Sony plea client?

How do I find the solutions??

• mequsujomequsujo Posts: 8Members ✭✭

To fix image quality issue in your Nikon D7000:

• Make use of a high resolution.
    • Turn on image stabilization.
    • Use good technique to hold the camera steady.
    • Be cautious about shooting in high contrast situations.
    • Work with the camera's ISO setting

If still issue exits then check Nikon D7100 Manual for help.