If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

QNAP TS-231 Plex disconnecting issue

bsimonianbsimonian Posts: 4Members

I recently bought a QNAP TS-231 to house all of our TV shows and movies on a NAS that's accessible throughout our LAN. Previously I had a Mac mini with an external hard drive but it was time for a change after it started causing me some issues.

I have all the media transferred in shared folders and have installed Plex on the QNAP. Plex seems to run well after I added the shared folders for each of TV shows and Movies, it updates the database, etc, grabs all the metadata, and is accessible across the LAN, over WiFi on various devices such as the Roku3, Android phone, iPad mini, etc. The problem happens at random intervals where the media server simply disconnects. When trying to access it, I get an error that the "site" does not exist. During this time I check the NAS to make sure it's operating fine and it is.

The only way I've found that I could get Plex to work again is by going into the App Center on my QNAP, Selecting the Plex Media Server and setting it to OFF. After it takes a few seconds to turn off I then set it to ON and once it's back on, it works fine. Now obviously this is not an ideal situation especially if I'm not around and my wife is trying to watch something.

Anybody else experience this issues and how have you resolved it? Any setting and such that I should be looking at? I've looked through all the screens I can think of and can't find anything related to this.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• drewbiedrewbie Posts: 1,121Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Sounds like it might be crashing, would need logs to look into it more. Have a read of the FAQ's for how to get the logs Q12 https://forums.plex.tv/topic/138453-qnap-and-plex-faqread-me-first/#entry852845
  • bsimonianbsimonian Posts: 4Members
    drewbie wrote on June 1 2015, 5:04 AM: »

Sounds like it might be crashing, would need logs to look into it more. Have a read of the FAQ's for how to get the logs Q12 https://forums.plex.tv/topic/138453-qnap-and-plex-faqread-me-first/#entry852845

So I've figured out that the logs are located at "/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/PlexMediaServer/Library/Plex Media Server/" but I have no way to access that directory. Any other way I can get the logs out of it somehow?

Thanks

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,674Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    You can use something like Putty or WinSCP to connect to that folder to get the logs
  • dane22dane22 Posts: 10,563Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    bsimonian wrote on June 1 2015, 3:48 PM: »

So I've figured out that the logs are located at "/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/PlexMediaServer/Library/Plex Media Server/" but I have no way to access that directory. Any other way I can get the logs out of it somehow?

Thanks

Check the pinned FAQ

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• bsimonianbsimonian Posts: 4Members

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm not too familiar with how to use command prompt for Telnet but I was able to access the directories via WinSCP's GUI and have found the logs. However, they don't seem to have logged anything since before today which is weird so I'll just let it run for a few days and then post the logs after a "crash" recurs. 

• rphaugrphaug Posts: 15Members ✭✭

bsimonian this sounds like exactly what's happening to me and a few other people, I'm on a TS-431.  Check my other thread

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/161066-constant-plex-server-issues-on-ts-431/

• bobalaskabobalaska Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am new to both QNAP and Plex on 231 and have had same issue.

• baymubaymu Posts: 1Members

Having the exact same issue with my TS-251.

And now on my 231 the QNAP app does not appear on my log in page with others.  I can go to appfinder, and open it from there.  And yes, I have tried all 3 display settings in app finder.

bobalaska wrote on June 6 2015, 7:39 PM: »

And now on my 231 the QNAP app does not appear on my log in page with others.  I can go to appfinder, and open it from there.  And yes, I have tried all 3 display settings in app finder.

This is more an indication of your QNAP has crashed....

I suggest a manual firmware install, followed by a reboot, and if that doesn't help, to contact QNAP support....

/T

Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

dane22 wrote on June 6 2015, 9:07 PM: »

This is more an indication of your QNAP has crashed....

I suggest a manual firmware install, followed by a reboot, and if that doesn't help, to contact QNAP support....

/T

Would you mind explaining manual firmware install, please?  Assuming you mean QNAP firmware, I have version 4.1.3, which is latest on QNAP auto update through firmware update in control panel.  There seems to be a 4.1.4 available from QNAP website, but I have been hesitant to install (and curious why it is not available through control panel).  If you mean reinstall Plex manually, I know how to do that, I think.

• pcprozpcproz Posts: 1Members

I'm having the exact same issue. I watched several videos yesterday, tried accessing it to day to watch more and was not able to access it.

I have the latest firmware (4.1.4) installed on my QNAP. This is really irritating. It's obviously not just me or my system. I bought the QNAP for the very purpose of using it for a video server. I had a tower running Win 7 with Plex for some time and it worked great. But a tower uses a lot more electricity and produces a lot more heat, so I wanted to get a smaller machine. Hence the NAS. I have other NAS servers that I use for file storage and backup, but if this QNAP/Plex thing turns out to be another basic file server, I'm going to be very disappointed with both.

@pcproz said:
    I'm having the exact same issue. I watched several videos yesterday, tried accessing it to day to watch more and was not able to access it.

I have the latest firmware (4.1.4) installed on my QNAP. This is really irritating. It's obviously not just me or my system. I bought the QNAP for the very purpose of using it for a video server. I had a tower running Win 7 with Plex for some time and it worked great. But a tower uses a lot more electricity and produces a lot more heat, so I wanted to get a smaller machine. Hence the NAS. I have other NAS servers that I use for file storage and backup, but if this QNAP/Plex thing turns out to be another basic file server, I'm going to be very disappointed with both.

What model of QNAP are we talking about here?

/T

• Jlesher714Jlesher714 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just got the T-231 and im having the same issue.. It wont connect. If I uninstall and reinstall Plex only connects that first time then, the samething all over again. Frustrating !!!

Guys and girls in this thread

You are all mentioning the QNAP models TS-231, so first of all please make sure that you have the TS-231 model, and not TS-231+ model, since that model is not supported.....

Secondly, to get to the bottom of this, since neither Plex nor I can reproduce it, we need stack-traces....
    (Got a few so far, but sadly not enough to digest what is causing this)

In order to get stack-traces, I need some of you to respond back to me, and I would prefer somebody that can navigate on a Linux box, and if that's not an option to you, then I'll guide you, but as said, prefer somebody with basic Linux skills.

If one or more of you are up to the task, then let me know here, and I'll then PM you some files and instructions to follow.

Best Regards

Tommy

• ZeusLewisZeusLewis Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Hey Tommy,

I'm in desperate need of help with this issue also so I'm in. I've used Putty and WInSCP on other devices and also with my last QNAP - Send me the instructions and I'll get you info from my TS-231 which is also having this exact same problem (I just bought this unit and I have 2 days left to return it...if we can't figure out this Plex issue).

Thanks!

Z

If so, then I suggest you return it, unless you have faith :-)
    (If so, then respond positively here, and I'll create a PM for you)

In no way can we grap a stack-trace, getting it to devs, and get a fix.....
    We are talking about a much longer time period here

/T

OK... I've decided to stick with the TS-231 so if you are still up for working with me, I can try to get you the information you need to help us all with this issue.

Thanks again T.

I've been testing different combinations to try to narrow down what might be causing Plex to crash. I disconnected my External Backup Drive (Which I have set to run on a nightly schedule) and Plex did not crash for 72 hours!! I re-connected the drive tonight and Plex crashed within a couple of hours.

I was wondering if others here have an external drive plugged into their TS-231 and if so, maybe try running with it disconnected and see what happens.