Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Direct Play on LG Plex: When?

Hi there, I open this post so that everyone can stay informed about the most wanted feature:

GET RID OF TRANSCODING.

As many people I own a NAS(Synology DS214play in case you guessed) as a media center and storage center, and a smart TV of WebOs 1 generation, everything is hooked up in cat 6 cables, so direct play compatible formats should not be an issue.

I even handbrake every file to h264 aac 480p webOptimized non anamorphic, so it MUST work on direct play.

Even better would be if subtitles were rendered locally and not triggering full transcode too.

And as all people outside US and Commonwealth might prefer to have subtitles when watching I think this aspect really deserves attention.

This fact of triggering transcode is preventing many friends to jump on Plex.... please Fix This!!!!!!!!

Comments

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,324 Plex Employee

I'd love it too. Container and codec support is out of our hands on TV devices. The NetCast TVs are super playback platforms. The webOS TVs are super run-time platforms but don't have the same playback compat based on my testing. I haven't tested webOS 2.0 to see if they've added support.

Try this to transcode never on you webOS TV:

• Select "Original" Local Quality
    • Ensure your files are MP4 H264 Level 4.1 or less
    • Enable Dolby Digital AC3 to direct play videos with AC3 audio. Do the same for DTS yet I'm not certain webOS supports DTS. It might.
    • Web Optimized and anamorphic don't come into play for direct play on TV devices
    • Always disable subtitles. We're working on not requiring transcoding for subtitles. Our web app does this today for some formats. The TV app needs to adopt and test.
    • Always use the default audio track.

Totally not perfect, especially regarding subtitles and audio tracks.

• Luca WeltertLuca Weltert Members, Plex Pass Posts: 85 Plex Pass

This indeed is very competent and polite, I'm really glad to hear from you!.

I'll try with your settings to see if they get the job done. It would be a huge improvement.

By the way, which format support non trasncoding with subtitle on web app? We are struggling with this aspect, and I would be more than glad to reconvert everything to a compatible format if then I can have subtitles on and off without triggering transcode.....

Gosh.... I tried playng the Knick both with TX3g and srt... on web interface it triggers transcoding.........

Please please please let me know what combination actually does not trigger transcode...

Oh... there was a little toggle to enable... I found it at last..... switched to automatica instead of always, and the magic happens....

And the android client does it too with srt.

Just wondering if there is a way to enlarge the subs when not transcoded.

Otherwise totally fine....

Come on now.... let's add it to WebOS TV and it will be triumph!!!

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,324 Plex Employee

:)

The web app shows a subtitle size which should help you out. Did you find this: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200289408-Plex-Web-App-Settings?

Soft subtitles will be a huge win when we bring it to TV. There's only a couple of us working on it; we're trying to get there as fast as we can. :)

It will indeed... finger crossed.....

Yes I've changed the expected dimension of the subtitle, but it seems to only affect burned subs, while soft srt stay with small font. No big problem, but maybe one thing to check for the Android team.

• sesteresestere Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass
    edited June 2015
    mseeley wrote on June 12 2015, 10:52 PM: »

I'd love it too. Container and codec support is out of our hands on TV devices. The NetCast TVs are super playback platforms. The webOS TVs are super run-time platforms but don't have the same playback compat based on my testing. I haven't tested webOS 2.0 to see if they've added support.

My UB850 (webOS 1.3.2-3844) seems to be able to play mkv's with dts tracks in it (at least when i play it over usb) when i try to activate the dts option in plex it's not working (in 2.4.10 the audio went silent, in 2.4.11 the movie won't start Edit: on 2.4.13 it's playing again without sound)

• lwalker86lwalker86 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    mseeley wrote on June 12 2015, 10:52 PM: »
    • Enable Dolby Digital AC3 to direct play videos with AC3 audio. Do the same for DTS yet I'm not certain webOS supports DTS. It might.

Totally not perfect, especially regarding subtitles and audio tracks.

Hi

The inbuilt smartshare app and PlayZ run DTS fine. My entire library is DTS based so if you could find out how to make it work in the plex app, thatd be great :)

• landtlandt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

mseeley,

Quick question: My LG Plex client Direct Plays/Streams everything (which is great!) except when there are internal/external subs. And yet, the SmartShare app (DLNA) is able to play internal subs without transcoding (external subs are not selectable for me).

Is this normal or is there a way to get the LG Plex client to Direct Play/Stream a file that has internal subs too? (I realise external subs are a work in progress).

Are there any other clients that I could buy that would be able to do this?

Thanks for any information!

Soft Subs is the next BIG step (maybe the noly one we really need) in the client.

If you want to switch to an unofficial client the Playz app does soft subs.

I really reallyhope the test phase Mseeley worte about will finish this summer and we all we will be at a peace of mind then.....

• Gasz2Gasz2 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Hello, I am a new plex pass user, I use a WebOS 2014 LG TV. If I use de DLNA client or PlayZ app, I could see all the videos from Plex Media Server installed on my NAS without transcoding.

When I try to use Official Client, many files say that could not be viewed because my NAS do not transcode video. An some files are transcoding audio when is not needed. Is a stupid question because my TV could handle the video and audio, so could you enable an option on LG TV Official client to force DirectPlay ?

Please, do it. Let the user choose. Thanks.

Mseeley We are all looking at you to realize our dreams and expectations... any update? Please, just even "I'm on it, be patient" would be better than silence! FInger crossed....

• vpdsimoesvpdsimoes Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

Luca im with you on this. So you all if i run a #D movie from smart share from my Synology +1512 no problem watching, using plex the movie doesnt start. Im with you on out with transcoding for LG

@Gasz2 said:
    Hello, I am a new plex pass user, I use a WebOS 2014 LG TV. If I use de DLNA client or PlayZ app, I could see all the videos from Plex Media Server installed on my NAS without transcoding.

When I try to use Official Client, many files say that could not be viewed because my NAS do not transcode video. An some files are transcoding audio when is not needed. Is a stupid question because my TV could handle the video and audio, so could you enable an option on LG TV Official client to force DirectPlay ?

Please, do it. Let the user choose. Thanks.

Did you change the quality settings?

@Luca Weltert said:
    Mseeley We are all looking at you to realize our dreams and expectations... any update? Please, just even "I'm on it, be patient" would be better than silence! FInger crossed....

In the main thread, based on his comments, it seems an update is coming this month or next.

We'll absolutely look into enabling more direct play formats. When I force direct play myself the TV doesn't play the video. So, there's something special about PLaYZ or the TV isn't capable of playing the media.

I'm certain someone will one to correct me, I just stating my observation.

• Gasz2Gasz2 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

PlayZ identify itself as a Mac Book PHT client as I could see on the source code.

XPLAY (another unofficial client) manages to also play the file as is (with subs without transcoding). However "as is" also includes not transcoding incompatible audio streams :/

@Gasz2 said:
    PlayZ identify itself as a Mac Book PHT client as I could see on the source code.

That's a good tip. Thanks!

• horst789horst789 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

same problem on my LG 4k OLED UHD, plex will transcoding from NAS, but its lagging... why direct play dont work? with samsung 4k its works well...

... workaround with the inoffical XPLAY app works all fine !