Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

5.1 on Android TV

SoongSoong Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does anyone know if this is possible? I just got a new TV running Android (a Sony) and the Plex app only ever outputs stereo. 

Comments

• MichielMichiel Plex Ninja Posts: 858Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

We are aware of this and are talking to Sony/Google about this issue. Thx for the report :)

• DesmondoDesmondo Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue....only ever get stereo back out to my soundbar whether I use ARC via HDMI or optical cable.

Thing is I get the same problem with Netflix also so not sure it's a simple Plex issue? It might be something deeper inside AndroidTV?

• chenkschenks Posts: 734Members ✭✭✭

Android TV does't support 5.1/DTS passthru.

it's an OS limitation at the moment.

• DesmondoDesmondo Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    That was my first thought and it's a crazy thing to say the least. What is the point in these media rich TV's not being able to do it?
  • SoongSoong Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah I'm well gutted. I bought a Sonos Playbar and it didn't work on my old TV as I was using a Chromecast through HDMI. I was told my TV couldn't pass DD5.1 through HDMI and that I should get a TV with Plex built in. 

So here I am with a new TV with Plex built-in and I still can't get 5.1  :( If my girlfriend ever finds out how much I've spent on no end result she will change the locks.

no TV's come with plex built-in.

what tv did you buy, and is it Android TV plex or smart tv plex?

neither come with plex "built-in" and you still need to manually install plex.

first rule - always investigate what is supported before you buy anything.

Well, yeah, Android TV. I mean Plex in the TV so not going through HDMI which I thought was the whole issue in the first place.

edited June 2015

well you had 2 issues really.

1) your original TV didn't do 5.1/DTS passthru (quite common really)

2) your new tv has androidtv and the androidtv OS doesn't support 5.1/DTS passthru (not a plex issue).

two very separate issues - but with the same end result

i have a nexus player and i've been told many times on here that 5.1/DTS passthru is not supported.

are you saying that it is supported? that goes against what everyone says on here and on xda-developers.

• IanDBirdIanDBird Plex Employee Posts: 2,291Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey,

Just wanted to shed some light on what current is/isn't possible, and some of the issues we're trying to tackle. With the release of Android Lollipop, Android is now capable of supporting both AC3 and eAC3 in passthrough mode via HDMI. Since Android TV is based on Android Lollipop, this means it is actually supported (note: DTS is not natively supported).

As the OS has the capability, it then takes a bit of time before this is possible via the various video playing libraries that applications are built upon. The one that we use has recently introduced AC3 and eAC3 passthrough support, although still has a number of issues around using it. The biggest issue we face at the moment is that it doesn't work with Sony's new Android TVs. However, we have been talking directly to Sony about our findings and i'm hopeful that we will be able to get something working in the future. I can't give any timescales because I really don't know. But I can say that we are testing on our the Sony devices, and we are very keen to fully support these. We'll do whatever we can to make it a great Plex experience...

Ian

so why does everyone say that it doesn't support 5.1 passthru then at an OS level?

i have seen this stated in numerous different locations - one of them being here.

is DTS likely to be supported in the future?

a modern media player should support 5.1 and DTS at a bare minimum IMO.

edited June 2015
    IanB! wrote on June 16 2015, 7:04 PM: »

Hey,

Just wanted to shed some light on what current is/isn't possible, and some of the issues we're trying to tackle. With the release of Android Lollipop, Android is now capable of supporting both AC3 and eAC3 in passthrough mode via HDMI. Since Android TV is based on Android Lollipop, this means it is actually supported (note: DTS is not natively supported).

As the OS has the capability, it then takes a bit of time before this is possible via the various video playing libraries that applications are built upon. The one that we use has recently introduced AC3 and eAC3 passthrough support, although still has a number of issues around using it. The biggest issue we face at the moment is that it doesn't work with Sony's new Android TVs. However, we have been talking directly to Sony about our findings and i'm hopeful that we will be able to get something working in the future. I can't give any timescales because I really don't know. But I can say that we are testing on our the Sony devices, and we are very keen to fully support these. We'll do whatever we can to make it a great Plex experience...

Ian

Great stuff, thanks!

Is the HDMI passthrough issue the same thing I'm facing? As I'm not actually using any of the HDMI sockets? Either way, glad to hear the issue is on the radar.

chenks wrote on June 16 2015, 7:38 PM: »

so why does everyone say that it doesn't support 5.1 passthru then at an OS level?

i have seen this stated in numerous different locations - one of them being here.

is DTS likely to be supported in the future?

a modern media player should support 5.1 and DTS at a bare minimum IMO.

I imagine that is all down to licensing costs. 

Selfishly I don't mind as my Playbar doesn't support DTS anyway.

all i want to know is, if i connect my nexus player to an amp, play an MKV h264 1080p DTS file, what happens.

does it play in stereo? does it transcode the audio to something else?

does it direct play the video? or does it transcode that too.

• hertzsaehertzsae Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    chenks wrote on June 16 2015, 7:38 PM: »

Because people repeat things they hear. In this case they are repeating something that was once true, but no longer is. You should be skeptical of anything you hear on this forum that isn't from a developer. And if it is from a developer, be aware of the context. A developer could have easily said that Android TV doesn't support 5.1 passthru and they would be correct if the post was written a year ago.

problem is that input from the developers is sparse at best.

i know they can't reply to everything, but it's common that a thread reporting wide spread bugs will receive no comment from any developer.

my question remains unanswered though.

• IanDBirdIanDBird Plex Employee Posts: 2,291Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Soong - if you're using an optical connection between your TV and Soundbar, the television should still be able to output multichannel audio. However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, this isn't current working for a number of apps running on the new Sony devices. You'll see only stereo output when running Plex, Play Movies, Amazon Prime, etc. Hopefully Sony will fix in a firmware update...

Chenks - Android can output e/AC3 and we hope to support that soon. At present, all multichannel output will be transcoded to 5.1 AAC which the Android TV will either output via a multichannel audio device, or down mix to stereo if you don't have an audio setup which can handle it. As for DTS, it isn't supported natively by Android and is therefore not supported by the video player our application utilises. As to whether this will be added in the future, I hope so, but it's entirely dependent on Google...
  • dbeyzadedbeyzade Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sony's built in Android video app does pass AC3 from my plex server using DLNA to the amp over optical so clearly it can work. However Sony have got the aspect ratio all messed up which kinda ruins the experience. So at the moment the choices are surround sound and wrong aspect ratio (sony app), or correct aspect ratio and no surround sound via plex app.

Netflix also has the same issue. Still at least as the Sony app is working it means it is definitely possible!

dbeyzade wrote on June 23 2015, 11:51 AM: »

Sony's built in Android video app does pass AC3 from my plex server using DLNA to the amp over optical so clearly it can work. However Sony have got the aspect ratio all messed up which kinda ruins the experience. So at the moment the choices are surround sound and wrong aspect ratio (sony app), or correct aspect ratio and no surround sound via plex app.

Netflix also has the same issue. Still at least as the Sony app is working it means it is definitely possible!

Ha, yeah I discovered this last night. Weirdly the aspect ratio is fine when you start but goes weird if you exit and come back in. It fixed itself for me by pressing the subtitles button on the remote.

• dbeyzadedbeyzade Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the tip about pressing the subtitle button - I will try this later thanks! Its so infuriating things just don't work out the box though!

Hello again.

I just noticed the latest update has the following:

• [Android TV] (e)AC3 Passthrough support.

Is that what will fix this issue for me or is it something unrelated? And if it is the fix then is there something specific I need to do on the Android TV to make it work as it doesn't seem to have done anything for me.

Thanks!