Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Install Plex Client on Raspbian

FfleandroFfleandro Posts: 14Members ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Rasplex

I'm wondering if I can install the same Client that is installed on Rasplex on another Distro, say Raspbian?

I'm trying to install the Plex Media Server and the Client on the same Raspberry Pi.

Thanks for any help.

Tagged:

Comments

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,732Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2015
    Ffleandro wrote on June 16 2015, 12:00 AM: »

I'm wondering if I can install the same Client that is installed on Rasplex on another Distro, say Raspbian?

I'm trying to install the Plex Media Server and the Client on the same Raspberry Pi.

Thanks for any help.

Look at this topic, the tenth below yours: https://forums.plex.tv/topic/167336-rasplex-and-media-server-on-one-pi-2/ or this https://forums.plex.tv/topic/163964-plex-pms-plex-client-raspberry-pi-2/

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • FfleandroFfleandro Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    NedtheNerd wrote on June 13 2015, 7:49 AM: »

This is not possible due to the underlying OS for Rasplex.

I understand that, but that was not my question. I'm not trying to install Plex Media Server on a Rasplex partition, I want the other way around.

I believe that Plex Home Theather had to be compiled in some way for the ARM architure. If somehow I could install it in a Raspbian partition, I would have more freedom to install other things on that partition, for instance, a Plex Media Server.

dlanor wrote on May 25 2015, 5:14 PM: »

A working setup could probably be achieved by installing PMS on one of the generic Linux distros for the RPi2, and then adding Kodi and the PlexBMC addon together with a Plex oriented skin  (like Amber, Night or Titan). This should allow fairly well featured Plex client functionality (though not PHT compatible).

Why can I install Kodi and not PHT?

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,732Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Ffleandro wrote on June 16 2015, 12:48 AM: »

I understand that, but that was not my question. I'm not trying to install Plex Media Server on a Rasplex partition, I want the other way around.

Which is what the second link implies.

Ffleandro wrote on June 16 2015, 12:48 AM: »

I believe that Plex Home Theather had to be compiled in some way for the ARM architure. If somehow I could install it in a Raspbian partition, I would have more freedom to install other things on that partition, for instance, a Plex Media Server.

Why can I install Kodi and not PHT?

You can't install Rasplex on Raspbian, Rasplex is Plex HT built on top of OpenELEC, the two are instrinically linked together as one joint OS/client

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • FfleandroFfleandro Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Is it technically possible to port it to Raspbian? If no, why?

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Ffleandro wrote on June 17 2015, 7:38 PM: »

Is it technically possible to port it to Raspbian? If no, why?

It should be 'possible' to port "Plex Home Theater" to any OS, including Raspbian. But that has simply not been done.

And while it is 'possible', that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be practical. It certainly wouldn't be easy...

It's one thing to make a port that works well as the main application of a  dedicated media player OS.

It's another thing to make a port that works well as a generic X-window application multitasked with others.

What we have for the RPi is RasPlex, which in its porting has had many changes and adaptations to work well with OpenELEC.

This means that many of those changes and adaptations are completely unsuitable for a generic Linux distro like Raspbian

So someone intending to port PHT to Raspbian might be better off starting from PC PHT sources, though also studying some of the ARM-specific modifications of RasPlex.

Best regards: dlanor

• waxingsatirical@gmail.comwaxingsatirical@gmail.com Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Old thread but with over 12000 views I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there looking to solve a similar problem as Ffleadro.

I want to use a raspberry pi as a HTPC, preferably as a plex client to make use of all of the available plex channels. But I would also like to be able to use the same pi to do some basic desktop stuff, browsing the web, remoting onto my other machines, using a file manager etc etc..

Closest I've got is running KODI on raspian with the plex add-on, but the add-on doesn't support channels.

If I could just run rdesktop from Rasplex that would be an alternate solution, but I can't find a way to do that.

Anyone have any ideas?

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 368Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@waxingsatirical@gmail.com said:
    Old thread but with over 12000 views I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there looking to solve a similar problem as Ffleadro.

I want to use a raspberry pi as a HTPC, preferably as a plex client to make use of all of the available plex channels. But I would also like to be able to use the same pi to do some basic desktop stuff, browsing the web, remoting onto my other machines, using a file manager etc etc..

Closest I've got is running KODI on raspian with the plex add-on, but the add-on doesn't support channels.

If I could just run rdesktop from Rasplex that would be an alternate solution, but I can't find a way to do that.

Anyone have any ideas?

I dual boot for that so I can run rasplex and raspbian from the same SD.

• Nibb31Nibb31 Posts: 1,233Members ✭✭✭✭

You would need a version of OpenPHT compiled for Raspbian.

Unfortunately, there is no such package ready-made, so you would need to compile it yourself, which is going to require a lot of black magic because finding the list of prerequisites is nearly impossible.

The same is true for PMP by the way.

No other way.