Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexPy - Another Plex Monitoring Program

Comments

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,562 Plex Employee
    melrhombus wrote on June 24 2015, 12:42 PM: »

Is there a way to get more logging?

Right now all the log shows are the two errors I posted then just what appears to be updates/ping message

I'm using the same settings in this and the other plex watch UI... no problems in the latter aside from posters not loading sometimes

The logging is already quite verbose at the moment, it should log any connection problems. The other two errors you received are actually not even related to PlexWatch, it's just some legacy code in there that I haven't removed yet  :rolleyes:

Check for me if you get anything displayed when you go to:

http://localhost:8181/get_pms_sessions_json

and

http://localhost:8181/get_recently_added_json?count=1

Just obviously replace localhost:8181 with whatever your host and port is.

• melrhombusmelrhombus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 209 Plex Pass
    DrJohnZoidberg wrote on June 24 2015, 12:54 PM: »

The logging is already quite verbose at the moment, it should log any connection problems. The other two errors you received are actually not even related to PlexWatch, it's just some legacy code in there that I haven't removed yet  :rolleyes:

Check for me if you get anything displayed when you go to:

http://localhost:8181/get_pms_sessions_json

and

http://localhost:8181/get_recently_added_json?count=1

Just obviously replace localhost:8181 with whatever your host and port is.

Ah I thought they were it trying to connect to PMS

I'll check these messages after work and get back to you

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,562 Plex Employee
    melrhombus wrote on June 24 2015, 2:06 PM: »

Ah I thought they were it trying to connect to PMS

I'll check these messages after work and get back to you

I've pushed an update which fixes that "error". Also removed a bunch of debug logging, so it should be easier to find any errors when they do pop up.

• gjosanggjosang Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

Nice! Really cool project.

Got it running fine. But i have som problem with the deamon..

Cant seem to find the init script in /opt/plexpy i am running on ubuntu.

Server: Intel i7, 32GB DDR3, 60GB SSD (Fedora 22 Core)

PMS: Ubuntu 15.04 LTS server, running as vm (KVM) 2 CPU, 4GB 

Storage: Asustor AS-604T 4x3TB Raid5 (media and vms over nfs)

Clients: 1x Chromecast, 4x Mobile Devices,  4x WebClients

gjosang wrote on June 24 2015, 5:42 PM: »

Nice! Really cool project.

Got it running fine. But i have som problem with the deamon..

Cant seem to find the init script in /opt/plexpy i am running on ubuntu.

Yes, I actually noticed today that I didn't include it. I will add it in a bit later.

In the meantime you can just run:

python PlexPy.py -d

Thanks man! 

Thats good to hear i almost started thing i was blind or something.. 

I used python PlexPy.py -d for the start, dont want to have a constant ssh connection..

Anyways thanks :-)

• melrhombusmelrhombus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 209 Plex Pass
    DrJohnZoidberg wrote on June 24 2015, 4:48 PM: »

I've pushed an update which fixes that "error". Also removed a bunch of debug logging, so it should be easier to find any errors when they do pop up.

I just updated and now it works O_o

Something between now and 7 commits ago according to the log

• katarkatar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 35 Plex Pass
    Plexpy don't need Apache, MySQL correct??? Only need Python?? And where is the database in folder plexpy??
    katar wrote on June 25 2015, 11:52 AM: »

Plexpy don't need Apache, MySQL correct??? Only need Python?? And where is the database in folder plexpy??

PlexPy is a web front-end for PlexWatch. PlexWatch provides the database (sqlite) and PlexPy just reads this data. PlexPy only requires Python 2.6/2.7 to run (doesn't work with Python v3).

I intend to remove all dependancy on PlexWatch in the future but that is quite a large task so won't likley be anytime soon.

• Patschi95Patschi95 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 55 Plex Pass

I just set up PlexPy on my Plex media center (based on Ubuntu) and I really like it so far. It looks quite nice and the performance/speed of the site is also great. Keep up the great work! :)

I made some screenshots of the site, if someone is interested in:

Home site

[attachment=52213:2015-06-26_234509-ddq1s.png]

Some graphs

[attachment=52211:2015-06-26_234043-t65pg.png]

Overview of a serie/film

(Description is in germany because they are in PMS too)

[attachment=52212:2015-06-26_234141-s2kw2.png]

More details about one episode:

(Removed the description to keep it spoiler-free. Great episode by the way!)

[attachment=52214:2015-06-26_234728-psqsj.png]

PlexPass Life-Time
    My plex setup
    HomeServer with virtualized Plex Media Server on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS: HP MicroServer Gen8 | Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2 @ 3.30 GHz (Turbo-Boost) | 2x 8 GB Kingston ECC - DDR3 1600 | VMware HP-ESXi 5.5 U2 (MicroSD-Card) | 2x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120 GB (RAID1) + 2x Sandisk SSD 32 GB (RAID0) (Cache) | 4x 4 TB Western Digital Red (RAID5) | HP Smart Array P420 FBWC/2GB
    Mobile phone: OnePlus One
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1"

Just a tip for people who would like to run plexpy at startup:

The easiest way possible, just add a cronjob.

In my case: 

@reboot python /opt/plexpy/PlexPy.py -d &

• WeeflixWeeflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 238 Plex Pass
    Is it possible to install Plexpy as an unraid docker?
    Nomadore wrote on June 27 2015, 4:17 PM: »

Is it possible to install Plexpy as an unraid docker?

I've never worked with Unraid or Docker before so not really sure. A quick Google shows that Headphones (which PlexPy's core is based off) does run.

Maybe somebody more familiar with these technologies could help out.

DrJohnZoidberg wrote on June 27 2015, 6:16 PM: »

I've never worked with Unraid or Docker before so not really sure. A quick Google shows that Headphones (which PlexPy's core is based off) does run.

Maybe somebody more familiar with these technologies could help out.

You can run plexpy in docker container.
    If I get time this weekend, I will upload a prebuild container.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,416 Plex Pass

A few quick thoughts on PlexPy after working with it now for a week or so...  (Ok, more than a few...)  :)

First one is, PlexPy doesn't take the names of the users from the PlexWatch config.pl file to use for display names.  It takes the names from Plex itself, which we all know can be cryptic, convoluted or just plain nonsense, trying to figure out who is who.

Next thought is, every time I restart my NAS, or in some instances, just update PlexPy, I have to go back into the configs for it, to set the default port it uses for web access.  PlexPy defaults to 8181.  Since I have another service running on that port number, PlexPy can't start.  When I edit the config.ini file I have to re-input port, db locations, etc. to get it working.  It would be great if this config didn't always get over-written all the time or imported some of those settings when the file gets updated.

I would like to see some stats on the now playing info displayed.  What the bandwidth used is, what the speed of transcode is, use the bif files for placement in the active stream.  I know parts of this has to come first from plexWatch itself, but thought I would throw it out there when you get to redoing that in python. 

DrJohnZoidberg, I think you did the short lived sync module for plexWatchWeb, didn't you?  Are there any plans to include the work you did for that within PlexPy as well?  I LOVED that feature.  That way I could see everyone that was using my media, no matter how they were using it.  Synced or streamed, it was displayed on one screen or another.  Maybe a bit more information could be displayed with this, though, such as how long it took to prepare the synced file, what resolution, etc.  How many sync jobs a given user has queued would be nice, too, if that info can be gotten somehow.  Then we could see who is hanging the server on a failed sync all the time.

The last 30 days graph is great!  I love it!  But, would like to see a running total in the calendar month, too. 

Over-all I'm very happy with how this works.  It displays information that is useful to a server admin very neatly without the need to have a web server running.  Keep up the great work!

Mike G. wrote on June 27 2015, 8:08 PM: »

Over-all I'm very happy with how this works.  It displays information that is useful to a server admin very neatly without the need to have a web server running.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks for your input, love it when things are explained so well :)

Will answer some questions of yours:

First one is, PlexPy doesn't take the names of the users from the PlexWatch config.pl file to use for display names.  It takes the names from Plex itself, which we all know can be cryptic, convoluted or just plain nonsense, trying to figure out who is who.

Yep, unfortunately there isn't really a "clean" way to do this. I'm thinking of just having a completely separate option where you can set this in the web GUI. It would be separate from the PlexWatch ones though, but my plan is to make this a full replacement for PlexWatch so I can do things my way.

Next thought is, every time I restart my NAS, or in some instances, just update PlexPy, I have to go back into the configs for it, to set the default port it uses for web access.  PlexPy defaults to 8181.  Since I have another service running on that port number, PlexPy can't start.  When I edit the config.ini file I have to re-input port, db locations, etc. to get it working.  It would be great if this config didn't always get over-written all the time or imported some of those settings when the file gets updated.

This shouldn't happen. What OS are you using? PlexPy saves everything to a config.ini file which doesn't reset unless you delete it. I'd be interested to know why this is happening.

I would like to see some stats on the now playing info displayed.  What the bandwidth used is, what the speed of transcode is, use the bif files for placement in the active stream.  I know parts of this has to come first from plexWatch itself, but thought I would throw it out there when you get to redoing that in python. 

Stats are interesting. Everyone wants to see something different. Bandwidth is not really something that I could implement reliably as Plex doesn't log bandwidth usage. Transcode speed is definitely something that can be added and the bif images code is actually already written and hasn't been implemented yet.

DrJohnZoidberg, I think you did the short lived sync module for plexWatchWeb, didn't you?  Are there any plans to include the work you did for that within PlexPy as well?  I LOVED that feature.  That way I could see everyone that was using my media, no matter how they were using it.  Synced or streamed, it was displayed on one screen or another.  Maybe a bit more information could be displayed with this, though, such as how long it took to prepare the synced file, what resolution, etc.  How many sync jobs a given user has queued would be nice, too, if that info can be gotten somehow.  Then we could see who is hanging the server on a failed sync all the time.

Yep, I wrote the sync module but it was terribly written :D Plex doesn't make it easy though to reconcile everything as I have to call multiple services to get all the info I need which slows things down. This is however something that will make it into PlexPy soon-ish I hope.

The last 30 days graph is great!  I love it!  But, would like to see a running total in the calendar month, too. 

I realised after I had done the graphs that you couldn't see monthly totals. Definitely something that's going to be fixed.

• JamminRJamminR Plexhibitionist Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,468 Plex Pass
    Mike G. wrote on June 27 2015, 8:08 PM: »

What the bandwidth used is

Mike, all, Just an addition to what Dr. Zoidberg said already in previous answer post;

Tens, if not hundreds, if not thousands of Plex server owners have been wanting this and other feature INCLUDED IN PLEX a long time.

Not only what is used, but to control server usage limits. I can ask every friend I have to set remote streaming quality to 2 or 3 mbps on their clients, but it doesn't do me a bit of good if they don't and suddenly more than 1 want to watch a 5mbps rate quality video from my server at the same time. (I can only upload at 5-6mbps)

The best request thread I've seen for features like this so far imo is this one. = [Very Popular] Show who is streaming what and when (This link requires PlexPass)

Make sure to "LIKE" the first post (Click the LIKE button). More likes = more votes. Adding "Yes! +1" reply in the thread post doesn't really count (though it does help bring it back to top of recent thread list)

Plexwatch, PlexNotify, PlexwatchWeb and PlexPy and a few others are partially due to what people want in that thread.

Though I love the community projects, I'm still disheartened that the Plex developers haven't allowed me to view the information these projects provide without having to install additional packages and maintain them.

Until the Plex devs add the rate and control info, not even the community projects can add them.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.8.1
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - PlexPass subscriber!
    ISP: ~6mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,416 Plex Pass

This shouldn't happen. What OS are you using? PlexPy saves everything to a config.ini file which doesn't reset unless you delete it. I'd be interested to know why this is happening.

This is on my Asustor NAs, which runs a flavor of Linux (with BusyBox front end, if that makes sense...)  I will start looking more closely to the file creation dates, etc.

but my plan is to make this a full replacement for PlexWatch so I can do things my way.

In that case, you can do something like what they did with config.pl, with user id's in the config file and manipulate them there.  Also, if someone wants to use some sort of notification scripting, the web gui can do the lion's share of the configs, without having to edit the file directly.  that's COOL!

Mike, all, Just an addition to what Dr. Zoidberg said already in previous answer post;

Tens, if not hundreds, if not thousands of Plex server owners have been wanting this and other feature INCLUDED IN PLEX a long time.

Yep, I know it's an existing request, and I know these tools are to bridge the gaps for the features requested and still missing from Plex.  In fact, I have requests I made several months ago about server side tools.

Tools, Tools, Tools.  and then Controls!!!  Looking at the information is only part of the problem.  Once we get the info, we need the controls to limit, curtail or restrict abuse of OUR systems.

Right now everything is controlled by the client, and not the server.  In an IT world, this is completely bass ackwards...  In a client/server environment, well, it's even worse.

The server should be dictating to the clients how to stream the media, when the media is available and what restrictions are placed on what types of media.  Parts of this work in Plex, parts work if you set things up the way Plex wants you to do it, and others are just plain missing. 

Just pushed update to enable BIF thumbs. It might be a bit buggy, haven't test too much but seems to be working.

To enable just go to settings -> Plex and PlexWatch -> Enable BIF thumbs.

• johnod1983johnod1983 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass

I have plexwatch configured and Plexpy was easy to get going. 

I see "now playing" and "recently added" 

But I see this error 

DatabaseError: file is encrypted or is not a database

In the settings page this is what I put for the plexwatch database path

C:\PlexWatch\plexwatch.db