If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What exactly is a .plexapp file?

I'm a fairly expert Python developer, but a total newbie when it comes to Plex plugin development. I thought I would play with them, though, and I notice these .plexapp files. The installer takes care of unpacking them for me, but I'm wondering what they really are -- tarballs? zipfiles? I can't find documentation for them.

Comments

• jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    They're zips of the plug-in bundle, with a bit of additional info for displaying in the installer (name, author, version, etc), with the final zip data XORd (IIRC) so browsers like Safari don't try to be clever and unpack the file themselves. You can create them with the AppMaker application, linked to in a post pinned in this forum.
  • wisnoskijwisnoskij Posts: 24Members ✭✭

How does one use this XORd zip? It seems like my archive manager does not itself look for XORed data (not that I would ever expect it to).

• czukowskiczukowski Posts: 141Members ✭✭✭

I realize this is a very old thread, but could anybody shed some light on the AppMaker application or what's happened to it?

I was only able to find this non-working link to the old forum: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php?/topic/10180-plex-app-maker/

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,716Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Forget about the appmaker and .plexapp files, it's old stuff from way back when Plex was a Mac-only app.

• czukowskiczukowski Posts: 141Members ✭✭✭

@sander1 so there's no function anymore that supports installing packages this way, even in Mac edition of Plex?

The reason I'm asking is because I've been interested in different ways of installing Plex plug-ins and how to generate the installers automatically for the respective target platforms.