Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Web Star Rating System

hideandzhhkhideandzhhk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Hello. 

Currently the Plex Web App uses a 5-star rating system and it's not very good. 90 % of my library currently has a 3 star rating, pretty much everything is mediocre in other words. When I connect to Chromecast I see a much better rating for all content because it uses a 5-star system with half star increments, I think the Web App should do the same. 

I added three pictures, the first two are Apocalypse Now and Kagemusha, two movies with 8-8.5 star rating on iMDB, in the Plex Web App however both these movies have 3 stars - It's just misleading. The third picture is a terrible movie (but I keep for sake of appearances), Paranormal Activity 4 which has about 4.5 star rating on iMDB, it's got 2 stars in the Plex Web App, also, somewhat misleading. 

I couldn't find any topics on this here so I'm making this thread.
There are some threads over at /r/Plex, but using an extension for Chrome which I have to allow to view and modify my data on all websites I visit just to fix a rating isn't really something I want to do. 

Thanks for reading.

Tagged:

Comments

• vrillvrill Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass
    edited January 2016

This is sorely needed and a real mystery as to why this outright misleading system hasn't been exchanged for something more useful, or to take more sources into account for a weighted score.

Take the movie 45 Years (2015) for example:
    IMDb: 7.3 (6 155 votes)
    RT: 98% / 78% / 3.8/5 [7.6/10] (6 317 ratings)
    TMDb: 4.8 (67 votes),

In Plex Web (and iOS), this movie gets 2/5 stars (or 48% in the app) because it takes the ratings from TMDb, making it look much worse than what the majority of viewers (99.5%) actually think. I can't see a way to change the Agent(s) to take the more balanced ratings from IMDb or RT.

A limited-release movie like Band of Robbers (2015) has almost a thousand ratings on IMDb and RT combined, but has no stars/rating at all in Plex because it only has 3 votes over on TMDb.
    @elan @ericmatthys

• achmetinternetachmetinternet Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

+1 to change it.

• pmhparispmhparis Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Haven't gotten into rating my videos heavily yet but when I do, having more granularity than just 5 stars will be necessary.

• Zoolook13Zoolook13 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1

+1 yeah change is sorely needed, please make it configurable, current system is unusable.

• jmcv8700jmcv8700 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

+1 to change it.

LG OLED55E6V & WebOS 3

• K6NW56MK6NW56M Members Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Change it. (bump)

• lezardonlezardon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 93 Plex Pass

yes, please do it more accurate

My devices: Synology DS2415+ (5 WD red 3TB, 2 WD red 6TB, 4 Samsung 1TB) , Synology DS508 (5 WD red 3TB), Synology DS112j (1 WD 3TB), Panasonic TH-42PV8H, Mac mini late 2012, Apple TV2, Apple TV3, Vortexbox on SSD Crucial M550, Hackintosh on P5Q+Radeon 5850, Inspiron 3521 running Windows 10, Sennheiser RS220, DAC iBAsso, WIFI network ac with 3 Airport Extreme, ethernet network CAT7, Sonos system.

• KoramchadKoramchad Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

No updates on this? We should be able to choose our rating provider. IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes at least...

• beckfieldbeckfield Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,687 Plex Pass

@Koramchad said:
    No updates on this? We should be able to choose our rating provider. IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes at least...

You can choose the rating provider. Edit your Movie library, go to Advanced tab, and scroll down to where you can select the Rating source. But that's not what the OP is about.

• eygrabereygraber Members, Plex Pass Posts: 222 Plex Pass

@beckfield said:

@Koramchad said:

You can choose the rating provider. Edit your Movie library, go to Advanced tab, and scroll down to where you can select the Rating source. But that's not what the OP is about.

Is there any way to do this for TV shows?

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,193 Plex Employee

In the recent web release, we've separated the critic rating (Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb, etc) from the 5 star rating used for user ratings. The critic rating will show a percentage (0-100) except with IMDb.

• eygrabereygraber Members, Plex Pass Posts: 222 Plex Pass

@ericmatthys said:
    In the recent web release, we've separated the critic rating (Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb, etc) from the 5 star rating used for user ratings. The critic rating will show a percentage (0-100) except with IMDb.

I don't see any tv rating from IMDb

• lock571lock571 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 324 Plex Pass

I'm still very confused about the rating system in 3.0.0. I've selected "Rotten Tomatoes" as the rating source under "Plex Movie settings" in agents. However, none of the percentages are close to the rotten tomatoes ratings. They are all somewhere around 70%. I tried rescanning the library and they didn't change.

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,193 Plex Employee

@lock571 said:
    I'm still very confused about the rating system in 3.0.0. I've selected "Rotten Tomatoes" as the rating source under "Plex Movie settings" in agents. However, none of the percentages are close to the rotten tomatoes ratings. They are all somewhere around 70%. I tried rescanning the library and they didn't change.

What's the order of your agents look like? Have you done a "Refresh All" after making changes?

• wsavonawsavona Members, Plex Pass Posts: 74 Plex Pass

I have made sure my agents are in right order and done a refresh all for good measure, still getting an arbitrary percentage that is neither the rotten tomatoes critic or user rating just like lock571 :(

Could you look at ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Metadata Combination/com.plexapp.agents.imdb/Movies.xml (that's the path in OSX)? If it has a line that says <agent>com.plexapp.agents.themoviedb</agent>, could you try deleting that line and then doing a Refresh All?

• wsavonawsavona Members, Plex Pass Posts: 74 Plex Pass

Yas!! That worked, thanks @ericmatthys!

• lock571lock571 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 324 Plex Pass

@ericmatthys said:
    Could you look at ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Metadata Combination/com.plexapp.agents.imdb/Movies.xml (that's the path in OSX)? If it has a line that says <agent>com.plexapp.agents.themoviedb</agent>, could you try deleting that line and then doing a Refresh All?

Yep, that did it!

• SoEleqanTSoEleqanT Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

+1 to change it, please make it configurable.