If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to install a manual update

beaglebossbeagleboss Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How specifically do you install a manual update on the AS-302T?  I can download the 32bit update but I have no idea where/how to install the files on the NAS.

Thanks

Comments

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Posts: 2,434Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you open the App Central app in the ADM, one of the choices on the left is to manually install.  You browse to that folder/file you downloaded and then click upload.  After it gets down uploading to the NAS, you should see a warning about possible damage, etc.

If you are installing Plex you should be GTG.  There are a few others I have installed this way as well.  They go fairly straight forward.  When you are donw with the manual install any settings you had in your previous version of software should be there.

• ejbytesejbytes Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

@MikeG6.5 Hi Mike -- I am new to Plex. I am giving it a spin and I just got a Western Digital DL4100 NAS (Network Attached Storage/server) and downloaded into "Apps" this Plex software.

But It is prompting me for a manual upload. I understand instructions, but your message is encoded in jargon I am not familiar with. App Central app in the ADM? GTG?

In my NAS, there is an apps tab, and when I select update, it gives me a download file (*.bin). No install information at all. I have used commands in DOS and Linux before, I have done unpack installs, but what you are saying here doesn't make sense to me because it's all new to me. I'm new to server technology, but know my way around Windows and commands pretty well.

I have downloaded the "WDMyCloudDL4100_plexmediaserver_09124.1192-9a47d21.bin" file. I have the other *.exe file for my PC, but don't know and cannot find out how to install this *bin file to my NAS.

I am running Windows 7, My NAS is Intel based, it's Western Digital. So maybe what you are stating is specifically biased? Can you explain please?

---------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE --------------------------------------------------------------

I figured it out. Of course I can't wait for a total stranger to get back to an old post :-/
    FYI: WD NAS DL4100 - "Plex manual update"
    Download the *.bin file.
    Log into the NAS server (in this case the WD DL4100), select the "Apps" tab.
    In the Apps tab, click the '+' icon to "add apps". There is a small link on the bottom right here, "To install an app manually click here". Select the saved *.bin file and update.

@MikeG6.5

GTG = "good to go", ah got it. I used to see "g2g" for that.
    ADM = Application Download Manager? Try to google ADM, there are a thousand acronyms that fit :(

This post is on the Asustor NAS forums, so it's using an acronym specific to the platform. ADM is Asustor's Device Manager software, used to access Asustor's web front end for their NAS. App Central is the Asustor App Store, even though most apps there are free or bought from the vendor, not Asustor.

There is a specific WD forum for Plex, I believe, and any questions you may have about the device, install or operation of Plex on your NAS would be more appropriate in that forum. There are a lot of Asustor specific topics covered in this forum that either won't work, or might break your NAS.

HTH

• bildur1bildur1 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Unfortunately my update keeps failing when using the instructions provided here by MikeG6. Does anyone know if removing the Plex app and reinstalling it will remove any of the contents?

• gregsburnsgregsburns Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow. "ADM", "GTG", these mean absolutely nothing to me. I have no idea what you're talking about, and I have no idea about how to manually install a Plex update on my NAS. Is there anyone who speaks plainly?

@MikeG6.5 said:
    If you open the App Central app in the ADM, one of the choices on the left is to manually install.  You browse to that folder/file you downloaded and then click upload.  After it gets down uploading to the NAS, you should see a warning about possible damage, etc.

If you are installing Plex you should be GTG.  There are a few others I have installed this way as well.  They go fairly straight forward.  When you are donw with the manual install any settings you had in your previous version of software should be there.

edited April 2017

@gregsburns said:
    Wow. "ADM", "GTG", these mean absolutely nothing to me. I have no idea what you're talking about, and I have no idea about how to manually install a Plex update on my NAS. Is there anyone who speaks plainly?

WOW! Read the whole thread, these were already covered by other posts I've made in this thread..... I assume at least a minimum skill or knowledge level even when I dummy things down. Let me see just how simplified I can make it..... This is ASUSTOR SPECIFIC and not for other manufacturer's devices! You have been WARNED! Go to your DEVICE SPECIFIC forum for instructions on how to install if you don't have an ASUSTOR NAS!

GTG = Good To Go Not explaining this any more....

NAS = Network Attached Storage or Network Accessible Storage. Asustor makes several models of NASes. There are other manufacturers out there, if you don't have an Asustor NAS you can stop reading right now. This is Asustor specific and dummied down to stupidity.

ADM = Asustor Device Manager: The web interface used to access and configure you Asustor NAS. Without this interface you can't do anything with the NAS at all. It's usually accessed via a web browser with a location similar to this: https://your.nas.ip.here:8001 or http://your.nas.ip.here:8000.

It will ask you for your account and password. You set this password when you set up the device with the Asustor Control Center application you should have installed to your desktop from the included CD. If you haven't set your password yet, the password is defaulted to "admin" without the quotes.

This interface usually has a set of applications and applets that you use to configure or maintain your NAS. One of those is "App Central". If App Central isn't installed on your NAS' ADM interface you aren't logged in with an administrator's account. Call someone with this access or ship it back for a refund.

App Central = The Asustor specific Application Store. Used to install new applications from within the ADM. Without this interface you would need to use WinSCP or another Shell client to access your NAS. Applications approved by Asustor or written by them are available in this store. The approval process is 4-6 months or longer so applications in the store are generally much older than various vendor's current builds are.

App Central has 2 panes. One on the left and one on the right. Menu choices are on the left side, and applications or groups that fit those choices appear on the right. The menu choice we need to manually install an app designed for Asustor but hasn't been approved through their slow approval process will be "Manual Install" It is the third choice down on the left hand side.

Manual Install: A menu choice on the left side of App Central (See above) used to install applications that haven't been through Asustor's slow approval process. On the right pane it presents you with a pair of buttons. One is "Browse", the other is "Upload". "Upload" will be greyed out until you have browsed to a file previously downloaded on your computer.

Browse: One of two buttons on the "Manual Install" pane of the App Central Apllication on Asustor's ADM interface. Used to find a file downloaded to your computer in preparation to upload to the NAS for installation. When a file has been chosen, the path and file name will appear in the blank line to the immediate left of this button. Having a valid path and file name in this line enables the "Upload" button on the Manual Install right side pane.

This only checks that the file exists. It doesn't check to see if the file is correct for the version or model of NAS or ADM you have. That gets done only during the upload phase and only after the file is completely uploaded into the NAS' cache memory.

Upload: Sending the file located with the "Browse" button to the NAS for installation. This button will be greyed out until a valid path and file name is entered in the line to the left of the "Browse" button listed above. After the file is uploaded, it is checked to make sure it is a valid application file for the NAS model and for the version of ADM the NAS is running. If it is not the NAS presents an error saying the file is invalid and the installation fails.

If it IS correct for the model of NAS and version of ADM the NAS is running, this will present you with a warning screen which tells you basically you are responsible for installing applications that may or may not break your NAS. If you put a check mark in the box to continue the install, obviously, you can continue with the install. If not, you can cancel it and this whole document was a complete waste of your time reading it.

===================

I had assumed that people with a NAS would at least have a basic understanding of some of the specifics of the make and model of NAS they purchased and how to access it from their computer. Obviously this assumption has been incorrect. I had also assumed that when people enter a thread on a forum and have questions that they would SCROLL UP to see if those questions had ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. Again, perhaps I assumed too much.

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 10,344Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@MikeG6.5 Sounds like you need to create a FAQ's page. If you do, then I can 'pin' it for you.

Leave out the advertising though ;) :))

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

@trumpy81 said:
    @MikeG6.5 Sounds like you need to create a FAQ's page. If you do, then I can 'pin' it for you.

Leave out the advertising though ;) :))

Leave out the ADVERTISING?!?!?! Are you KIDDING ME?!?!?!

This is the Asustor sub-forum, not the Western Digital or some other manufacturer's device forum. I have a few things that would be nice to have pinned. BUT they are Asustor specific, as I have almost no experience with other models to write anything about. In fact, I have no idea what the ADM is called with other company's NASes... :) I'm not even going to TRY writing something for other company's equipment unless someone is willing to donate the box and the drives to make it happen....

It SHOULD be common sense that anything in this sub-forum is going to be Asustor specific. It's the Asustor sub-forum for crying out loud... A friend of mine no longer calls it common sense, because he says that if it were so common there would be more people having it than not. He now calls it NORMAL sense. Normal people have it and others don't.

So, Andy, thanks for the offer, but I can't keep out the advertising. Pin what you want or not. You can pick or choose from the various posts I have in this forum. I've got a lot of good info here that hopefully doesn't get buried before someone really needs it. If you find something here valuable, then, by all means tell me if you want it cleaned up a bit and I'll work on it.

• b_1332b_1332 Posts: 1Members

@ejbytes said:
    @MikeG6.5 Hi Mike -- I am new to Plex. I am giving it a spin and I just got a Western Digital DL4100 NAS (Network Attached Storage/server) and downloaded into "Apps" this Plex software.

But It is prompting me for a manual upload. I understand instructions, but your message is encoded in jargon I am not familiar with. App Central app in the ADM? GTG?

In my NAS, there is an apps tab, and when I select update, it gives me a download file (*.bin). No install information at all. I have used commands in DOS and Linux before, I have done unpack installs, but what you are saying here doesn't make sense to me because it's all new to me. I'm new to server technology, but know my way around Windows and commands pretty well.

I have downloaded the "WDMyCloudDL4100_plexmediaserver_09124.1192-9a47d21.bin" file. I have the other *.exe file for my PC, but don't know and cannot find out how to install this *bin file to my NAS.

I am running Windows 7, My NAS is Intel based, it's Western Digital. So maybe what you are stating is specifically biased? Can you explain please?

---------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE --------------------------------------------------------------

I figured it out. Of course I can't wait for a total stranger to get back to an old post :-/
    FYI: WD NAS DL4100 - "Plex manual update"
    Download the *.bin file.
    Log into the NAS server (in this case the WD DL4100), select the "Apps" tab.
    In the Apps tab, click the '+' icon to "add apps". There is a small link on the bottom right here, "To install an app manually click here". Select the saved *.bin file and update.

@MikeG6.5

GTG = "good to go", ah got it. I used to see "g2g" for that.
    ADM = Application Download Manager? Try to google ADM, there are a thousand acronyms that fit :(

very helpful. thanks!

bh

• skavianiskaviani Posts: 2Members

hi everyone, i am using an asustor as3202t and adm 2.7.1.rft5 and tried to do Manual update as advised by @MikeG6.5 but as you can see in Picture it accept only apk files and nothing else, (not able to upload anything other than APK files)

any idea what am i missing?!

• skavianiskaviani Posts: 2Members

sorry ignore post, i used Microsoft edge which downloaded zip file, checked Chrome and download the same file in APK.. :o

@MikeG6.5 thanks for the heads up.... ;)