Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post here for more information https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/319354/well-be-moving-the-forums-to-discourse-heres-the-scoop/
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox One Plex App Update News

1202122232426»

Comments

• SpasmSpasm Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 13

@jmckee said:
    The simple way is to find where your Profiles folder is (Typically inside of your Resources folder inside of the Plex install directory) and edit the Xbox One.xml file. Near the bottom you will see these lines:

<TranscodeTargetProfiles>
    <VideoTranscodeTarget protocol="*" context="all">
    <VideoCodec name="*">

Change the VideoCodec name= from * to h264. This will apply these limitations only to the h264 codec and allow HEVC to ignore them when the server decides to remux/transcode. You may also need to restart the server after changing this setting. In my testing the files were crashing within 20-30 seconds of starting playback.

This worked perfectly. My 10-bit HEVCs are now direct streaming great. Thanks!

Took a while to find the profiles, so let me save you Synology folk some time, they're stored by default in:
    /volume1/@appstore/Plex Media Server/Resources/Profiles

Now that I'm down in the weeds, I'm gonna backup the original profile and experiment. I see a few things I'd like to change.

Edit: I was able to restore VideoCodecName back to * then change this line:
    <TranscodeTargetProfiles>
    <VideoTranscodeTarget protocol="*" context="all">
    <VideoCodec name="*">
    <Limitations>
    <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" />
    to
    <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="10" />

Works like a charm. Thanks again.

• Kuzuri_616Kuzuri_616 Posts: 6Members ✭✭
    edited January 15

@jmckee said:

@Kuzuri_616 said:
    Anything like what I'm trying (MKV and / or HD audio) causes the whole thing to transcode.
    So unless someone can show me otherwise, it looks like that has not changed with this update.

@shpankey said:
    Oh ok, gotcha. Thank you jmckee! :)

Here is the playback I promised you two:

I really appreciate all your input on this, however that still isn't addressing my one and only issue.
    4K HEVC MKV, specifically with HD audio is causing the video to transcode instead of direct stream, and it sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem.
    To reiterate, I fully understand that all HD audio will transcode, but it seems that HD audio is also preventing 4K HEVC video from direct streaming. Although it's possible this is actually a 10 bit issue and not an HD audio issue, I won't know that for sure without an example of 4K streaming properly with HD audio.

Both of your examples still use AAC or AC3 audio, which at least are really good trouble shooting steps to be able to eliminate the video alone as the problem. So thanks for that.

At this point it's more of a curiosity than a problem. I need Plex to implement direct play of HD audio, and until they do I won't fully be able to properly play what I want anyway, even if I solve the video issue.

• brandor7brandor7 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Without Live OTA and DVR this is all pretty meaningless.

• cuzz1369cuzz1369 Posts: 270Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@brandor7 said:
    Without Live OTA and DVR this is all pretty meaningless.

For you....

Using Tapatalk
  • jmckeejmckee Posts: 5,063Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@Kuzuri_616 said:
    4K HEVC MKV, specifically with HD audio is causing the video to transcode instead of direct stream, and it sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem.
    To reiterate, I fully understand that all HD audio will transcode, but it seems that HD audio is also preventing 4K HEVC video from direct streaming. Although it's possible this is actually a 10 bit issue and not an HD audio issue, I won't know that for sure without an example of 4K streaming properly with HD audio.

I actually did address your specific issue in that exact post that you quoted and Moussa responded after giving additional information.

@jmckee said:
    With HEVC 10 the current server profile automatically imposes an 8-bit limit on all video codecs. Testing with the developers and all of my 10-Bit samples actually fail to playback via direct streaming, only my 8-bit samples work. There is away to get around the 8-Bit limit, but it is at your own risk (It won't break anything, but can cause some files to fail to play that other wise would).
    @moussa said:
    To add onto @jmckee's comment, we're shipping an updated client profile for the Xbox One hopefully in the next release after PMS v1.11.0 to avoid transcoding files with certain characteristics.

@Kuzuri_616 said:
    I need Plex to implement direct play of HD audio, and until they do I won't fully be able to properly play what I want anyway, even if I solve the video issue.

Plex won't be able to implement direct play of HD Audio. Decoding of new codecs is fully in Microsoft's hands as Plex can only use the decoders available in the media player framework.

The closest plex will be able to do will be Audio Passthrough which will require a device connected to the Xbox One that will support decoding the audio format (IE a Home theater receiver or sound bar). Which is something that Plex is looking at implementing.

(The reason I differentiate between Direct Play of audio and Pass through is because Pass through does require additional hardware while fully direct playable would need nothing additional. As long as you have a receiver capable of playing back the audio format the difference won't be noticeable at all, and if you don't have the hardware you might get core audio playback or your might get no audio)

• ukaussiukaussi Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jmckee said:
    The closest plex will be able to do will be Audio Passthrough which will require a device connected to the Xbox One that will support decoding the audio format (IE a Home theater receiver or sound bar). Which is something that Plex is looking at implementing.

(The reason I differentiate between Direct Play of audio and Pass through is because Pass through does require additional hardware while fully direct playable would need nothing additional. As long as you have a receiver capable of playing back the audio format the difference won't be noticeable at all, and if you don't have the hardware you might get core audio playback or your might get no audio)

Passthrough would be ideal for me and many others I assume who have used receivers for years. Patiently waiting to watch 4K movies on my 4K projector :neutral:

• elitemikeelitemike Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

"The closest plex will be able to do will be Audio Passthrough which will require a device connected to the Xbox One that will support decoding the audio format (IE a Home theater receiver or sound bar). Which is something that Plex is looking at implementing."

I'm not sure why you would do this any other way. These formats are useless without an external decoder. Please make this happen sooner than later :). Even the audio settings in the xbox state that you need a decoder.

• shpankeyshpankey Posts: 309Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, passthrough is all I'm looking for myself. I prefer it that way.

@elitemike said:
    I'm not sure why you would do this any other way.

The simple explanation is because with pass-through it's all or nothing. And when it comes to passthrough there isn't any follow on support Plex can give. If there is a specific aspect of the audio causing a problem (such as bit rate, channels, etc) Plex can't do anything. With decoding in the player when an error occurs Plex can detect that and look at automatically switching the audio to transcode to a supported format.

These formats are useless without an external decoder.

Some people like to keep the original HD audio tracks even if they don't have a receiver for them for future proofing. It's easier to store the original track now and let the server transcode it then it would be to re-rip an entire library of bluray's later on.

Overall though the benefits of having pass-through are well ahead of the possible side effects. Development for this feature couldn't start until the app was moved to the new framework and the last update again updated the players to allow additional support options for more features. (Such as allowing direct streaming of HEVC vs always transcoding)

@shpankey said:

It's coming.™

• elitemikeelitemike Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jmckee said:

@shpankey said:

It's coming.™

Hopefully it would be a well defined option toggle.

• mcrommertmcrommert Posts: 535Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jmckee said:

@shpankey said:

It's coming.™

Sounds good - well that means Microsoft is about to allow it for apps which will immediately make my xbox my main streaming box

Finally

PMS: Windows 10 1709 - ASROCK H77 - 40tb pool Stablebit Drivepool & 16tb Google Drive Stablebit Clouddrive
    Main: Xbox One Plex & Roku 3 - Bedroom: Roku Stick (2017)

Also: Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick (2017), iPad Mini +, Android Moto G4, OnePlus Three, HDHomeRun Connect 2 Tuner for Live TV and DVR

mcrommert
  • tarunsuritarunsuri Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any chance we will have the OTA DVR option on Xbox?

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,819Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, DVR is planned for many additional clients. :)

10.7K+ Movies, 435 Shows - 37K+ TV Episodes, 515 Christmas Movies, 480 Documentary, 335 3D Movies, 1300 Sports Events, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 900 GB Plex Meta-Data. 9 Network Tuners.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
  • bg3bg3 Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Most recent Xbox client is much improved! Thanks for the quick turnaround on the “bufferring… bufferring… buffering…” fix.