If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plugin Development Documentation

manfermanfer Posts: 87Members ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Channel Plugin Development

I don't know if it is from my end but I'm totally unable to access the plex plugin development documentation since the hack of the forums.

Looks like the request to that documentation is redirected to a secure https connection and not only there is not a valid certification on the subdomain dev.plex.tv but even allowing the certification temporary I reach a 404 not found page.

The plex plugin development documentation used to be at:
http://dev.plexapp.com/docs

And though it was a little outdated it was the only one -with enough info- available.

Best Answers

Comments

• manfermanfer Posts: 87Members ✭✭

Thanks, those looks good.

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,257Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

This is now a Q/A thread

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• dmstvdmstv Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

@dane22 said:
    This is what I got, and yes, the box is currently offline, sorry

/T

Was there an attachment to this?

• manfermanfer Posts: 87Members ✭✭

Ups, sorry @dane22 it seems the forums has a bug and the attachments disappear when I mark your message as an answer. I won't do it again. Don't know which is the way you can solve it. Just by editing one of your previous messages or creating a new one. If you decide to create a new one I will not mark it as accepted answer.

Sorry again.

Huh...And indeed strange, so changed the thread back to discussion for a small test

And tried to attach again

Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

@manfer said:
    Ups, sorry dane22 it seems the forums has a bug and the attachments disappear when I mark your message as an answer. I won't do it again. Don't know which is the way you can solve it. Just by editing one of your previous messages or creating a new one. If you decide to create a new one I will not mark it as accepted answer.

Sorry again.

NP...We all has to learn the new forums, and I've reported this as a bug, and switched the thread back to a discussion one...and hopefully, my attachments will now stick ;-)

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,158Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • metalliqazmetalliqaz Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Excuse me but this can't be for real. Is there really no official documentation for writing a plex channel? We're just supposed to go off some old PDF files that someone saved from an old server, and this piddly FAQ??

I want to create a new plex channel for myself but I'm definitely not going to bother if there's no API docs.

• czukowskiczukowski Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

As much as it hurts me to say, it's obvious that Plex (perhaps as a company and not the devs themselves) isn't interested in supporting 3rd party development as they're too busy selling Plex to Xbox and Playstation users.

If they were, they could have published the documentation to Github long ago, when the original site with the documentation went down, and engaged the community in its maintenance and improvement. They could even go as far as publishing the Python-based framework sources and gotten some useful pull requests in the process. The community is great here I'm sure they would have supported the move.

• nolstonolsto Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It feels as if Plex is trying to make channel development as unpleasant as possible in hopes that we developers just give up and walk away on our own. What else are we left to assume when documentation for a closed-source framework is and remains unavailable without explanation? I wish the company would just announce the deprecation of channels rather than pull this bad spouse act of ignoring and driving us away.

• TwoureTwoure Posts: 583Members ✭✭✭

@nolsto said:
    It feels as if Plex is trying to make channel development as unpleasant as possible in hopes that we developers just give up and walk away on our own. What else are we left to assume when documentation for a closed-source framework is and remains unavailable without explanation?

Plex never gives a definite timeline, but they did mention starting to focus on documenting their API back in 06/23/2016.

Quote from The long and winding road to v1.0 blog post:

"I’d like to take you on a little tour on the eve of this historic release, which I consider as much a beginning as anything else. Consider it a commitment from us to take our post-v1.0 responsibilities seriously: to ship reliable software, to (finally!) document our APIs, and in general to work relentlessly to make this the best piece of software we possibly can."

So seems like some official documentation will be coming out, but might not include channels. Only time will tell.

• deciphercodedeciphercode Posts: 2Members

bumping this thread.

Why?

All avail docs are attached to the answer post of this thread?

• deciphercodedeciphercode Posts: 2Members

Only time will tell.

• czukowskiczukowski Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭

How about some community effort to compile all the bits of information that are here and there, in a nice wiki format? Google docs are okay, but we could do even better!

It would be nice if Plex devs created a repo just for a documentation on their Github and given forum admins or mods push rights, and then everybody else who is interested could chip in and do some pull requests.