Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Some 3d movies appears as 2d

goranlundqvistgoranlundqvist Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

I have a strange problem with the plex app in xbox one. I cant get the same problem with the app in my phone or tablet.

When I start some 3D movies from xbox one plex, they appear as normal 2D on my screen. I know they are for example a SBS file and if I watch the file with vlc on my computer or with my plex app on the phone I get the normal "split screen". But when I start playing it within the xbox the tv shows the movie as a normal 2D. And if I then turn on 3D on my tv, I get the same result as if the movie was a 2D version....

Right now this problem appears on like 3 3D-movies out of 10. Andtwo is Half-SBS and one Half-OU. And I got other of both formats that is working like a charm with plex app in xbox one.

What I think is the weirdest thing is that plex makes the 3D-file to 2D

Comments

• goranlundqvistgoranlundqvist Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

To make it more annoying. I installed the plex app on my LG TV and even there is shows the real 3D version. Do I need to get myself a chromecast just to be able to see all my 3D movies here and skip the Xbox one app?

• mikeburroughs1mikeburroughs1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

My guess is that some of your 3d movies are not in a direct-play compatible format, and plex is transcoding them on the fly. I'm not sure that the Plex transcoder is 3d-capable, so the transcode is flattening the movies. I've given up on the XB1 app all-together as this latest update alleviated very few concerns and added more bugs. If you're having better luck with the LG app, I suggest sticking with it. I went to NVIDIA shield for better performance (and so much less buggy-ness)

Guess so then. But what annoys me it that the plex app on phone, tablet and TV works with the same movie which the app in xbox one cant handle.

• SpardhasSpardhas Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I have the same problem with my library. Did you find solution please?

sorry not yet. Really annoying if I have to go and by a chromecast to have on the tv just because of this.

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 928 Plex Employee

If you could post details of the file formats you're trying to play (video and audio codecs especially) we can see why this would not direct play on XB1 - maybe that will help.

• FDTFDT Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Hi,

I have the same issue with my X1. The same video is displayed as SBS using my Roku3 but as 2D using my X1. Both are connected to the same Onkyo amplifier and I tried using the same HDMI port.

Thanks.

• maiod86maiod86 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

It's to do with the mkv header. My guess is the Xbox can recognise that the file is 3d due to the header info, but the app isn't able to turn on the 3d the same way the bluray app can.

Update: just saw in the Xbox one update thread that 3rd party apps can't change video output, which is why we don't get 24hz playback. I bet that's the same reason that stops 3d output.

Well.. This gets wierd...

Now it is working. And I guess there hasnt been any updates for it. I have thou mixed around alot trying to get my chromecast to be able to play movies above 4Mbps/720p. But when I gave up and by some strange feeling just tested the app again and probably just hoping it would work =)

Anywhere, here is the details I think you want:

Video

Codec H264
    Bitrate 14000 kbps
    Bit Depth 8
    CABAC 1
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Space yuv
    Duration 2:41:41
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Frame Rate Mode cfr
    Has Scaling Matrix 0
    Height 1080
    Level 4.1
    Profile high
    Ref Frames 4
    Scan Type progressive
    Title 3D Half-SBS
    Width 1920
    Audio

Codec DCA
    Channels 5.1
    Bitrate 1509 kbps
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Bit Depth 24
    Bitrate Mode CBR
    Duration 2:41:41
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Title English (DTS 5.1)
    Subtitles

Codec PGS
    Language Português
    Format PGS
    Title Sup 3D PT-Europe
    Subtitles

Codec VOBSUB
    Language English
    Format VOBSUB
    Title English forced 3D (VobSub)
    Subtitles

Forced 1
    Codec VOBSUB
    Language English
    Format VOBSUB
    Title English forced 3D (VobSub)

• jmckeejmckee Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,717 Plex Ninja

The reason that file will not direct play could be two fold.

DTS (DCA audio codec) is not supported by 3rd Party apps on the Xbox One. So until Microsoft releases a DTS decoder at a minimum that audio is going to be transcoded by the server.

The second possible reason would be subtitles. Currently, if you have subtitles enabled at all for the video than the video itself would need to be transcoded.

If you check your Plex Media Server.log when one of these files is being played (that is converting to 2D) you can see if the conversion is happening by the server (which I don't think is currently possible) or the Xbox (I believe this is the more likely culprit)

Guess time:
    There is a setting in the Xbox One's video settings for allow 3D videos. I am not sure if this will have any affect, the only thing I can think of is that if that setting is not checked the Xbox is automatically converting to a 2D mode.

well... real guess time then =) Why did the movie suddenly work in 3D with xbox one....

And... Now it aint... darn strange.. or rather.. now.. it is in 3d for like the first 5sec when they 20th century picture is rolling, then it is suddenly heading back to 2D.

About subtitiles so are there no extra .srt file or such for them, they are inbedded in the movie I guess.

About they log, is there anything special I should look for, its kind of big and right now both my children are looking at movies as well, so its kind of hard to know what row is for what. Can do a more isolated test when they are asleep.

question thou. Im using the same user at all my devices. Can it skrew up when like now that user is watching 3 movies on different devices?

Been looking abit more, dont have so many 3D movies. some work, some doesnt. I got movies with both DCA and one works and the other one doesnt. Right now it is only Half-SBS that doesnt work, but I think that is just a coincident since I also got Half-SBS movies with DCA that works.

Here are some details of a movie that does work:

Video

Codec H264
    Bitrate 11828 kbps
    Bit Depth 8
    CABAC 1
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Space yuv
    Längd 1:32:34
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Frame Rate Mode cfr
    Has Scaling Matrix 0
    Height 1080
    Level 4.1
    Profile high
    Ref Frames 2
    Scan Type progressive
    Width 1920
    Ljud

Codec DCA
    Kanaler 5.1
    Bitrate 1509 kbps
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Bit Depth 24
    Bitrate Mode CBR
    Längd 1:32:34
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Undertexter

Codec PGS
    Format PGS
    Undertexter

Codec PGS
    Format PGS
    Undertexter

Codec PGS
    Format PGS
    Undertexter

Codec PGS
    Format PGS

I think we're getting our wires crossed.

When you say 3D was working, do you mean you had a side by side (or over/under) picture, and then you switch to 3D on your TV manually?

What I'm on about is when the picture switches from side by side to one image as you described. That is the xbox recognising that it is a 3D file, but is not able to switch the output to 3D, which would send a signal to the TV to automatically switch to 3D viewing. As 3rd party apps can't do that, it's just giving us one image instead. I stick to my HTPC for 3D viewing because of it.

That's whats happening with my LG anyway. I can reproduce the automatic 3d switching in the display settings by enabling 3D.

• BenderopolisBenderopolis Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

I posted this problem some time ago. In my case only one of about 10 3D-Movie Files is shown in 2D (only the left frame) on the xbox one. All others are shown as SBS. So it seems to be an encoding problem.
    As on Playstation the xbox one does not switch the TV to 3D automatically, probably because this function is taboo for 3rd-party apps.

Try using mkvmerge to edit the header. There should be an entry to flag the file as stereoscopic. In theory disabling that flag should stop the Xbox trying to switch to 3D. Shouldn't be any need to remux or anything like that.

Okey..

I mean like this... 3D working = I see the side/side or top/bottom then I press the 3D-button on the tv and vola, I get real 3D. When It aint working, I get side/side or top/bottom for like 3-5 seconds then suddenly it goes to only one image, probably like Benderospolis says and it is in 2D so to speak

• giddarkgiddark Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I'm having the exact same issue. Sometimes 3D works (although rarely), other times it lasts for about 5 seconds then the two Side by Side videos combine into a single 2D video

• SpardhasSpardhas Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I saw it's generally the top/bottom movies which doesn't work. All of my movies in SBS, 3D working