Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Audio stream quality?

benjamindainesbenjamindaines Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Does plex stream full quality FLAC files to the android player or does it transcode to 320 mp3 or something lossy like that? I've noticed that it will only seem to do lossy files when syncing.

Comments

• IanDBirdIanDBird Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,292 Plex Employee

At the moment, Android will stream the full FLAC file... For syncing, it will either copy the original FLAC or convert to MP3, depending on the quality settings you select. There has been requests for a 'Audio Quality' preference to be used for streaming, as some users don't want to stream full FLAC files over cellular network. We're hoping to add this feature in soon...

Ian

• benjamindainesbenjamindaines Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

OK cool, that's actually how I'd like it to behave. On my local network I definitely want full quality FLAC (and out in public via hotspot too, but an option to stream a lower quality on the fly if the network is spotty would be quite nice.)

Thanks for the reply.

• ecd1973ecd1973 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 124 Plex Pass

Second this request. A music quality option between moble and LAN would be fantastic (just like the video settings) so I can stay within my mobile data quota and not pull down whole albums of FLAC files on the road.

• IanDBirdIanDBird Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,292 Plex Employee

The recent updates in the 4.6.0 version actually make this a lot easier. I'll talk to others to see if we can try to schedule this feature...

Ian

• Computer_Dude95Computer_Dude95 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@IanDBird Any progress on this? Steaming FLAC files over mobile data will use way too much data, so I would love it if the server could transcode them down to a user-defined quality when on data.

• kottavkottav Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@IanDBird I would love to see this feature. I would like to listen to my music in the car, but since most of it is FLAC it makes the cellular data usage unreasonable. 64 kbps mp3 stream like Pandora would be awesome.

• relentless_drelentless_d Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@IanDBird I would like to throw in my hat for this as well. Restricting audio quality over a cellular network would make plex's audio handling perfect for me.

• hoveehovee Members, Plex Pass Posts: 63 Plex Pass

Any update on this feature? Would love to see this on both ios and android.

• groovensteingroovenstein Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

I also would love to see this feature. I have many titles in FLAC format and only 1GB of LTE traffic per month. Even with MP3 320 its a bunch of traffic. AAC+ seems to be also a great codec to safe traffic with an great audio quality. Frisky Radio uses this codec and I think the quality is really good.

• smayers01smayers01 Members Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Any update on this feature?

• lanjesuslanjesus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    edited July 14

By trying out Plex music on my way to work today I blew through 200MB of data. I expected the mobile network quality for video to also apply to audio. (Who streams video at 96kbps anyway?!) Whoops!

Please implement mobile network quality setting for music.

Please offer the user a choice for which codec to use. This is extremely important at low bitrates.

Additionally, consider supporting the emergent internet streaming audio codec, Opus.
    (edit: update URL)

• ClaussmClaussm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Chiming in to add my support. I've been very disappointed in Google Play Music streaming lately and decided to give Plex music a whirl. I was surprised to find that this wasn't already implemented. In addition to mobile quality limits, I think it would be great to implement auto-playlists (recently added etc..) that I could sync to my phone in 320 or V0 as well.

• MeibeMeibe Members Posts: 2

I'm also surprised that this isn't implemented already. Being able to select exactly what quality I want my server to encode my music to will be a phenomenal addition to plex! I don't actually use music for plex currently but this feature would seal the deal for me and probably give me the inspiration to do a cleanup of my music collection. I'd love to see the range of bit rates that we can choose for videos currently. Plex is awesome.

• antman70antman70 Members Posts: 1

I would love to see audio given a bit more love generally.

• ggoldfingerdggoldfingerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

Any updates on this?

@IanDBird said:
    At the moment, Android will stream the full FLAC file... For syncing, it will either copy the original FLAC or convert to MP3, depending on the quality settings you select. There has been requests for a 'Audio Quality' preference to be used for streaming, as some users don't want to stream full FLAC files over cellular network. We're hoping to add this feature in soon...

Ian

Any updates on this?

• drezni01drezni01 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

+1. Absolutely need this when on mobile network. Probably would set to 128Kbs VBR.
    Thanks.

• drezni01drezni01 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I just tried the iPhone app and guess what, it allows to set the bitrate for remote music playback (96 to 320 kbs). So the back-end functionality is already there, just need to expose it in the Android app.

• Timmy_05Timmy_05 Members Posts: 1

please i need this for android since i dont have a good upload speed in my house and dont want to wait the buffer.

• bucketheadmjsbucketheadmjs Members, Plex Pass Posts: 25 Plex Pass

Any update on this for Android? I'm not able to play my FLAC remotely on the gym's wifi as they limit per device bandwidth. I would really love to be able to transcode my lossless audio while I am working out.

Plex Media Server: Headless Gigabyte Brix GB-BXBT-1900 (Ubuntu Server 16.04)
    Storage: QNAP Turbo NAS TS-212-P
    Clients: Nexus 6P (7.1.1), 2013 Nexus 7 (6.0.1), OnePlus One (6.0.1), Roku, Chromecast

• Inner DualityInner Duality Members Posts: 2

Ouch.

Been using this on Windows Phone 8.1 (no cost and can stream for hours if I want .. I'm surprised?), and am used to streaming 128kbps and NOT burning through my data usage.

Well, I think anyone who even knows WP8 exists knows where that's going... I've recently got myself an Android device. Realised the limitation that requires subscription or purchasing... Fair enough. BUT..! Now I see it streams the FLAC?

LOL. If this feature doesn't get added very soon, I'll likely jump ship to Subsonic or now I have more space on my phone, just start saving it locally again. For me the whole point of Plex was to give me my whole music library remotely AND to transcode for limited data usage. If I can't do it on Android, I'm bugging out. Which would be a pity, because this software seems pretty amazing and I wish I'd tried it ages ago.

Would definitely buy Android app/subscribe if I can do in Android what I can already do on Windows Phone, and will definitely not buy if not.