Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Amazon Echo and Plex! "Alexa, tell the home theater to put on a good episode of Always Sunny"

OverloadUTOverloadUT Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited January 2016 in Voice Control (Alexa)

I have been spending the last few weeks working on an Amazon Echo app to create a voice interface to Plex.

You can do simple queries, like "what's on deck," but far more interestingly you can actually request a particular show or episode to start playing on your Plex client.

Here's a demonstration video of the first proof of concept:

I've been doing a lot more work since then, and now have support for playing a specific episode, confirming the show if Alexa is unsure that she heard you right, and a random high-rated (top 10%) episode.

I'll be creating a new demo video once I get all of my 1.0 features in, and then it'll be on to multi-user support so that this can actually be published and made available on the Alexa app store.

UPDATE 1/20/2016

Great news for Plex and Amazon Echo fans alike!! I am going to be working directly with Plex to make an official Alexa Plex skill, which will be totally streets ahead.

With this partnership we'll be able to make this much more than I could have alone. Keep your eyes peeled to Plex's official channels for news when it's ready

Comments

• bcometabcometa Posts: 259Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OMG! Version 1.0 ready yet? This sounds incredible!

• OverloadUTOverloadUT Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@bcometa said:
    OMG! Version 1.0 ready yet? This sounds incredible!

Not yet, but I'm working on it! I'm nearly done with the 1.0 features, but that version won't be ready for multiple users. Version 2.0 is my big milestone for full authentication support.

• hxcadamhxcadam Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is amazing.

• many7695many7695 Posts: 237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have you bought a roku player (you mentioned it to me on your YouTube video) to see if it works on other plex companion players

My Plex Family
    running plex server on windows 10 HP
    Xbox One 
    IPad Air 2
    Nexus player
    Chromecast
    Appletv 4 currently my favorite

@many7695 said:
    Have you bought a roku player (you mentioned it to me on your YouTube video) to see if it works on other plex companion players

I have not yet! It should just work, so long as the Roku shows up as a controllable device on plex.tv

Thanks for the reply. I love to be able to use this, as of know I'm undecided on getting echo because the lack of Amazon services that are not available in Canada plus the U.S. price. But I know that this will be very cool for U.S. residents to use.

My Plex Family
    Xbox One 
    IPad Air 2
    Nexus player
    Chromecast
  • NathanWiensNathanWiens Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just got my Amazon Echo in Canada and really like it. There are a few things that don't work as well, but as long as you can get a US Apple ID (needs a US credit card billing address, I live near the border and have a Macy's card) most things work. Some things actually work that I didn't expect, such as Amazon Music (though not Prime Music) and Pandora. Plex integration would be the icing on the cake for me!

thanks for that. I use a vpn on my computers to get us versions of Netflix and Hulu. can that also be used on Amazon Echo since l live in Toronto probably not close enough on the border for it to work without a vpn

My Plex Family
    Xbox One 
    IPad Air 2
    Nexus player
    Chromecast
  • NathanWiensNathanWiens Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven't set up a VPN (yet), but from what I've seen Unblock-US doesn't support Prime Music yet. If it's a full-blown VPN then I can't see why it wouldn't work on the Echo, as long as the VPN is set up from your router and not your PC.

Thanks. So the Echo doesn't support change in DNS setting on its own. Not good for me since my router doesn't support changes in DNS as well. The provider that I'm with all their combo modem/routers are the same with DNS

My Plex Family
    Xbox One 
    IPad Air 2
    Nexus player
    Chromecast
  • tivodrometivodrome Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow, this is awesome! Can't wait until you've go this running. And Guy From Canada, I'm in the same boat -- I don't really want my entire network on VPN, so I guess the only way for me to get a VPN on the Echo alone is to be YAFR. (Yet Another **** Router.)

• HarlsHicksHarlsHicks Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

This looks amazing! I was kind of waiting for this before buying an Echo. Will this work for sending stuff to a Chromecast as well? I have Plex Server running on a headless linux server, and I just use my phone and tablet to fling it over.

• demetri90demetri90 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How's the progress coming along?

• KissellKissell Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can I throw money at my screen? I'm waiting to buy an Echo until there is Plex integration.

• bobbintbbobbintb Posts: 108Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It looks like the git page hasn't been worked on in a while. Is this dead?

Not dead!

I finished v1, although it only works if you deploy your own instance of it. I got stuck a bit when I needed to write a new node module to handle PIN authentication for the public version of the project.

However, just today I finally started working on this again and I'm making progress!

• bobbintbbobbintb Posts: 108Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2015

Great to hear!

We just got the echo and I'm anxious to try this out. Are there instructions on how to deploy it yourself? I see you need to use AWS Lambda. Is there a way to set it up without it? I'm in IT myself so I don't really need it spelled out. I've used AWS before, just not Lambda and I'd rather avoid having to use a secondary service.

Also, does it handle multiple instances of Plex? Like can I specify to play a show in the bedroom vs the living room?

• olobleyolobley Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OverloadUT said:
    Not dead!

I finished v1, although it only works if you deploy your own instance of it. I got stuck a bit when I needed to write a new node module to handle PIN authentication for the public version of the project.

However, just today I finally started working on this again and I'm making progress!

Would beer money help progress this? Let us know a paypal address..I'd love to be able to use my Echo to fling music/videos at my devices

• spiff637spiff637 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2015

To Olobley's point you should setup a gofundme page.. this is absolutely something I would be willing to Alpha and help support.. My echo is in the mail and I can't wait! $149 on amazon today, 20 bucks more to get plex working with 50% recognition in my living room would be worth it and then some.

• Spiral1Spiral1 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Very cool. I was hoping something official would make its way out from the plex team but this works too. It looks well done so far. I'd also be willing to send a few bucks your way...