Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Update software on Drobo NAS

LoscipressesLoscipresses Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hi, usually I get a prompt to update my Plex software running on Drobo NAS but since about 3 months I have not be able to upgrade the Plex software on my Drobo 5N.
Anyone that can please help me to get my Plex updated would be appreciated.
I did actually go through the long process of deleting Plex from my Drobo and reinstalling (thinking it would pick up the new version but nope, it didn't)

Thanks

Answers

• GliceasGliceas Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

hi

simply download direct the plex.tgz file then open the \address\DROBOAPP share and drop it in and then using the drobo dashboard force a restart and it auto installs the update on boot

or

There are several ways to install a Drobo App onto the Drobo 5N.

From your host connect to the DroboApps share using explorer for Windows, finder for Mac, and command-line if using Linux (e.g. afp://[DroboIP]/DroboApps.) If you get prompted to authenticate to this network share, you should provide the Drobo Dashboard admin username and password.

Once connected to this share, place the Plex.tgz file to be installed onto this share.

Notice that nothing has happened to this file, this is because the Drobo hasn’t been instructed to install this application. If you already have access to the Drobo via SSH, you could just execute the following command

/bin/sh /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

If SSH access is not yet enabled, a reboot of the Drobo should be sufficient. Upon boot, Drobo will look into the DroboApps share to see if there are any applications that need to be installed. Once the unsupported Drobo App is installed, it will show up in Drobo Dashboard.

• MauricenMauricen Members Posts: 2

I tried this... I put the latest plex.tar file in the root of DROBOAPPS, in the existing PLEX folder, I have rebooted the DROBO several times. It doesn't update. What do I do?

• MauricenMauricen Members Posts: 2

OK, I figured this out... a .tar file does not work - you have to find the .tgz file for this to work properly. If you use Safari on a Mac, it converts .tar to .tgz on download, I believe. You should use Firefox to download the patch file. I hope this helps!

• nlbrmnnlbrmn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

HI Gliceas,

I've done as you directed in your post above (and I'm on a Mac by the way) but I am still getting the message (atop my Plex library window):
    "A Plex Media Server update is available! Download now"

Also, in Plex, under Settings > Server, there is the message:
    "Version 1.0.3.2461 ! An Update is Available"

Might you have any other suggestions as to how to get the update to "take".

If it helps to know, I've got the Drobo 5N.

For some background on what I did:

• I downloaded the current Plex software.
    • I connected to afp://[DroboIP]/DroboApps
    • I put the flex.tgz file there
    • I restarted my Drobo (via the Drobo Dashboard > Tools > Restart
    • After it restarted, I checked Drobo Dashboard > Drobo App > Plex and there was an option available to Update, so I did.
    • After doing that I restarted the Drobo again.
    • Once it restarted, I came back to Drobo Dashboard > Drobo Apps > Plex and chose Configure.
    • Plex opened up in Safari, and the message about there being an update available was still present.
    • I restarted the Drobo once more and checked again... the "update available" message was still there.

I'm a bit stumped. I'm good with computers but I'm new to Drobos and Plex. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Neil

• nlbrmnnlbrmn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

Along with help from this thread:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/79243/how-to-manually-install-the-plex-app/p1
    I figured it out!

The two mistakes I was making were:

• I was not stopping Plex before moving the plex.tgz file to the DroboApps folder.
    • I was pressing the "update" botton in the Drobo Dashboard > Drobo Apps > Plex (Pressing this update button apparently downloads an older update, thereby still leaving me out-of date.)

Once I corrected the above mistakes, Plex updated!

-Neil

• wynn72wynn72 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Has anyone had problems installing the latest version lately? I have followed these steps multiple times in the past with no problem and it is no longer working. I changed file to a tgz, drop into DroboApps folder, restart, and Plex does not update. Have tried deleting the servicerc file and that doesnt work work either. No idea what to do anymore with this. Anybody have a solution?

• wynn72wynn72 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Nevermind, Got the lastest version installed by going directly to Plex's page and downloading the latest Server version for Drobo. Dropped that .tgz in the apps folder as oppsed to the update and restarted and it worked.

install ssh access, then drop the .tgz file in and then run vis ssh

/usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

can be used for any tgz package on droboports website etc

i also just tried the direct plex pass download today, and now its not loading at all

Found a fix for the current version ( plex pass), tell drobo app manage window to uninstall plex

then drop the new .tgz file in the drobo apps as normal, and then reboot or use the ssh command, and it will take 3 minutes and you will see successful

• evaldoncevaldonc Members Posts: 1

@Gliceas said:
    hi

simply download direct the plex.tgz file then open the \address\DROBOAPP share and drop it in and then using the drobo dashboard force a restart and it auto installs the update on boot

or

There are several ways to install a Drobo App onto the Drobo 5N.

From your host connect to the DroboApps share using explorer for Windows, finder for Mac, and command-line if using Linux (e.g. afp://[DroboIP]/DroboApps.) If you get prompted to authenticate to this network share, you should provide the Drobo Dashboard admin username and password.

Once connected to this share, place the Plex.tgz file to be installed onto this share.

Notice that nothing has happened to this file, this is because the Drobo hasn’t been instructed to install this application. If you already have access to the Drobo via SSH, you could just execute the following command

/bin/sh /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

If SSH access is not yet enabled, a reboot of the Drobo should be sufficient. Upon boot, Drobo will look into the DroboApps share to see if there are any applications that need to be installed. Once the unsupported Drobo App is installed, it will show up in Drobo Dashboard.

The first way works very well for me.
    Thanks!