If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[HowTo]: splitting multi-episode files with MKVtoolnix GUI

2»

Comments

• TappistRTTappistRT Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the help everybody!

• seanfrisbeyseanfrisbey Posts: 115Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    Did something work?
    edited July 2016

@seanfrisbey said:
    Did something work?

I think the mkv files I was struggling with are corrupted or just encoded strangely. If I open them in VLC, they show long run times like they need to be split. But Plex seems to start and end the episodes on the time they should. Windows Player seems to be confused with them and can't figure out a time schedule at all. No luck in remuxing them with MKVToolNix.

via Email
    Then my next suggestion, to at LEAST see of it fixes it, is to run the file
    through Handbrake. Transcode it at a quality you are happy with, and try
    breaking up the resulting file. Odds are that Handbrake will not output a
    broken file too.
    edited July 2016

Ok, what I ended up doing was putting the files through MakeMKV. Looks like the indexing was generally screwed on this whole series. Just doing a straight re-enconde (re-mux) through MakeMKV maintained the exact file size and now the indexing is fixed. Turns out the episodes didn't need to be split at all, and that VLC was misleading me in the first placevia the files having messed up indexing.

Guess it's a lesson learned when you download media you never quite know what you'll get!

Thanks again for all the assistance.

via Email
    Good job! Glad you got it figured out ^_^
  • reohatakereohatake Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is absolutely the best, no time issues, it's perfect. Thank you so much! This multi-episode thing has plagued me for so long!

• goldenpipesgoldenpipes Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2017

@OttoKerner said:
    weird things that multi-episode files are plagued with.

this drives me nuts. there has to be a way to solve this (how kodi does) in the software itself.

personally i just skip over the repeated episode after i have watched the 2 part episodes but other users on my pms thing i have doubles of stuff haha.

• hzx505hzx505 Posts: 1Members

Thanks for sharing

2»