Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Watch Later - A Few Things

ShaGeShaGe Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This isn't limited to the Roku implementation (these thoughts apply to the Xbox One app, too) but Watch Later needs a little bit of love. Two things:

• First— it takes A LOT of clicks to get to it. I just checked and it took me 13 clicks. Maybe there could be a setting to enable it so it appears under the library area. Or, maybe a UI tweak that allows you to select "On Deck", "Recently Added Television", "Recently Added Movies" headers, by tapping up on the remote could help. It's also easy to not even know it is there. People are used to scrolling up and down in browser windows, and in apps. But, it is less common to scroll left and right, especially that far right.

• Second — On Roku and Xbox One, it just leaves watched items in the list. In older clients, like PHT and iOS it would remove watched items, which makes a lot more sense.

Love the new Roku release. This is a really solid release, I was very excited to test it out. Congratulations, looking forward to seeing some of this stuff trickle into my other room and onto my Xbox One.

Comments

• pruitt62pruitt62 Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ShaGe said:

• Second — On Roku and Xbox One, it just leaves watched items in the list. In older clients, like PHT and iOS it would remove watched items, which makes a lot more sense.

Please do not remove the Watched Later items after they've been viewed once. I mainly use it for marking YouTube based music lessons which I re-watch as needed. Removing them would cause me to have to find them again, to add them every time I want to watch them again. Pretty much making this feature useless to me.

Thanks for your consideration.

• superhancpetramsuperhancpetram Posts: 150Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@pruitt62 said:
    Removing them would cause me to have to find them again, to add them every time I want to watch them again. Pretty much making this feature useless to me.

On iOS, the original Roku app, and pretty much all other Plex UIs, watching a "Watch Later" item doesn't delete it, it just moves it to the "Watched" list. This ability to filter the "Watch List" into "Watched" "Unwatched" and "All" is the behavior that should be implemented in the new Roku app, imo.

@ShaGe Totally agree: "Watch List" should get a shortcut on the left by the Library area.

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Right, and that's still what's happening behind the scenes. The hub design doesn't currently have a way to pivot between All, Unwatched, and Watched, and so we're always showing All. We'll figure something out.

• timofcoursetimofcourse Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Watch Later is available in the Plex preview app? Since the OP mentioned it takes "13 clicks" to access, I guess I could be forgiven as to not being able to find it. Could someone point out how to access this?

Thanks!

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,310Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

@timofcourse said:
    Watch Later is available in the Plex preview app? Since the OP mentioned it takes "13 clicks" to access, I guess I could be forgiven as to not being able to find it. Could someone point out how to access this?

Thanks!

On the main screen press "Right" or "FF" until you reach the end of the list. "Watch Later" is the very last item in the main screen.

BTW: It only takes me 3 or 4 presses of the "FF" key to reach the "Watch Later" section. It depends of if there is a "Continue Watching" section displayed or not.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• ShaGeShaGe Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@schuyler said:
    Right, and that's still what's happening behind the scenes. The hub design doesn't currently have a way to pivot between All, Unwatched, and Watched, and so we're always showing All. We'll figure something out.

Awesome! This has been a really great release.

@Elijah_Baley said:
    BTW: It only takes me 3 or 4 presses of the "FF" key to reach the "Watch Later" section. It depends of if there is a "Continue Watching" section displayed or not.

Thanks for the hot tip. I didn't realize FF could jump sections in the hub. I've been pressing right arrow until I get there. I'll give this a shot when I get home.

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the hot tip. I didn't realize FF could jump sections in the hub.

You may also find it useful to hold down FF for a couple seconds. Those shortcuts work just about everywhere for faster movement.

@schuyler said:
    You may also find it useful to hold down FF for a couple seconds. Those shortcuts work just about everywhere for faster movement.

Very helpful. I've used it on the episode pre-play screens before to go between episodes of a TV show. Hope you guys can figure out something with the watched/unwatched. I like Watch Later and I feel like you guys got it right the first time. It's nice to have a watched archive, but only have unwatched material shown on the hub.

Keep up the awesome work!

• TylastTylast Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@schuyler said:

Excellent thus far. Looking forward to the future flexibility in the All/Unwatched/Watched. I kinda got used to the default view of Unwatched in the old client.

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,845Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Like some others, I didn't even know the "Watch Later" (formerly called "Queue" in the old app) feature was there until I read this thread. Could definitely find a better place in the UI, I think.

Any update on the "unwatched" default view option in the new client (instead of the "all")?

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,799Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Tylast said:
    Any update on the "unwatched" default view option in the new client (instead of the "all")?

No, but it's on our list for sure. We are focused right now on getting the new update our for everyone and will be tuning this feature in a future release.

• Madala58Madala58 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I understand some people may not want the watched things removed automatically, but how do I remove them at all? Some things I guarantee that I'll never watch again and in some cases the link is now dead, but it still shows up in my "Watch Later". I don't care if I have to remove it from the web or Roku, I just want to kill it.

• Madala58Madala58 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I FOUND IT - After reading that you tend to have defaults set, I wasn't seeing the watched videos show up on my web view since that was set to only show unwatched. When I put it to show all, that then allowed me to delete the dead links.

Please give the Roku app the ability to "just" show the unwatched videos like the old version used to. For now, I'm forced to use the web app to find videos I've not seen thus far.

I see that the ROKU app has been continually receiving incremental updates. Is the filter for unwatched still forthcoming? :)

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,799Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Tylast said:
    I see that the ROKU app has been continually receiving incremental updates. Is the filter for unwatched still forthcoming? :)

Yes, sorry. It's still on the list, but we don't have any ETA.

• donyzzdonyzz Posts: 151Members ✭✭

Watch later(plex it!) should have its own tab on the left for easier access. I also don't like how when you click a video in watch later it immediately plays the file, I prefer the classic way of being presented an option to play the file, delete it from queue, or play all. It also gave a more detailed description of the video.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 5,904Members ✭✭✭✭✭

@donyzz said:
    Watch later(plex it!) should have its own tab on the left for easier access.

This is Plex 8 - Live it or Live With It.

I also don't like how when you click a video in watch later it immediately plays the file, I prefer the classic way of being presented an option to play the file, delete it from queue, or play all. It also gave a more detailed description of the video.

Yea, well that's accomplished with the * button, bringing up a list with the delete option to the right. I'm not exactly sure where or if a description is included... I didn't stay in the new Plex app long enough to find out.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )