Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PHT only works if I force transcoding on NUC? New problem.

mmccroremmccrore Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass

Setting up an NUC5i5RYH as my HTPC, and have discovered that recently, PHT will only play some of my videos if I force transcoding (on my PMS).

Here are my HTPC NUC specs:
5thGen Core i5-5250U, Intel Graphics 6000, 16GB DDR3, 256GB M.2 SSD, 1TB SSHD

PMS is running on my PC which is:
Core i7 3770k, GTX 760, 32GB DDR3, 2xRAID10-(6x256GB@750GB) 840 Pro SSD, 3x4TB SSHD (DrivePool)

Both are running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 w/ WMC.

Not sure what would have caused this. It was working fairly well, then something happened. Uncharacteristically, I've had a few problems setting up this HTPC, but everything is slowly falling into place now. First WMC was giving me trouble across 2/3 machines on my network (that got sorted out), then SmoothVideo Project (SVP) was giving me hell (but that too got sorted out). Maybe my codecs got jacked somehow? Anyway, any help is appreciated! :)

Cheers!

Answers

• gbooker02gbooker02 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 545 Plex Employee

Is there anything special about the files it won't direct play? Anything that they have in common such as a particular file type or quality or bitrate?
    Did you upgrade PHT on this machine recently? Perhaps a previous version of PHT will work better. If not, it'd help eliminate that as the problem.
    Is there a particular need for Windows? I've found the OpenELEC version of PHT works quite well. At the least it'd help determine if the issue is PHT or PMS.

For reference, I have the previous generation NUC running OpenELEC and it direct plays everything I throw at it.

• mmccroremmccrore Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass

Interesting... Upon closer inspection, it's seemingly all files in the mkv container.

I haven't upgraded PHT on this machine. The current installation of PHT is the first installation. I haven't had this NUC for very long.

Yeah, there's a need for Windows 8.1 since I'm using WMC. Also using Steam In-Home-Streaming, Netflix, Hulu, and have a few other shortcuts set up on the Harmony remote (like baby crib ip-camera, etc.) that make it simple/usable for my wife.

• gbooker02gbooker02 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 545 Plex Employee

OpenElec does have a livestick ability to put on a USB boot disk if you wanted to try that just an experiment. Items in MKV containers tend to be higher bitrate video so maybe it's more related to that. Make sure you have the Settings -> Network -> Quality preferences set appropriately, most notably that direct play is the quality set. Assuming you have some other computer in the house sufficiently powerful, try putting PHT on that, control it via the keyboard, and see if it'll direct play.

Pure speculation here, but it sounds like either a settings change or something in the OS changed on the PHT side. When PMS is direct playing, all it is doing is serving up the file as a web server would, so there's not much that can go strange there with differing file types. As a wild guess, you can try enabling/disabling the hardware acceleration in PHT. You can find this in settings -> video -> advanced video -> VAAPI at the bottom. Unfortunately after that, I don't know what else it could be.

• atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,093 Plex Ninja
    edited September 2015

Without Plex Home Theater.log this has a very slim chance to get answered. Please provide that @mmccrore and I will look into it.