Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

This is horrible

lukerenlukeren Members, Plex Pass Posts: 42 Plex Pass

The old forums had a neutral look and were generally very awesome.
These new ones look like a unicorn threw up on a blank page....

The front page of the forums is just black on a lot of white, this kinda hurts the eyes to look at.
When you enter a catagory, it gets even worse with all these avatars flying around.

I know you're not gonna switch back, but I'm still gonna whine!

It's horrible.

Comments

• sremicksremick Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,149 Plex Pass

I wouldn't have worded it as you did, but I do basically agree with you.

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• starbetrayerstarbetrayer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,308 Plex Pass

I agree also

• slice-o-hetzelslice-o-hetzel Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

No complaints here

My Plex server: VM on Hyper-V | 6 vCPUs | 8GB RAM | 22TB Stablebit Drive Pool | Server 2012 R2

• mutosanmutosan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 426 Plex Pass

I liked the old forum also better. and there I could block users. Somewhat the new forum is also to childish for me. I like the navigation and the brightness of the new forum but I agree with the thread opener.

• ChristoffeeChristoffee Members, Plex Pass Posts: 269 Plex Pass

Change is not always bad. Sometimes it's not better, it's just different.

My initial reaction was also horror! But now I'm used to it and don't think about the old one. Orange splodges for things I need to read, green splodge for answered.

Also, tagging people is a good feature addition. And it's easier to mark and unmark topics with the stars.

Maybe this is the way Plex is going. iOS app with the new white theme coming soon! PMS to follow! :))

And the mobile version is great.

edited July 2015

The worst thing is @elan 's new avatar! Where's camera guy gone!

• jayz78jayz78 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 162 Plex Pass

Sadly I would also have to agree. I'm glad to see the forums back online but this new forum software is...well..atrocious!

-The mobile theme is horrible. Why have avatars showing on a tiny screen taking up precious screen space? No mention of when the last post in a subsection forum was posted? No ability to go to the next page or last page from the top of the screen but have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to the "next page" button? Insane.
    -huge amount of white empty space on a desktop
    -New forum looks and functions like an 8 year old made it compared to the wonderful old forums.
    -there are tones of things I don't like but I'm sure someone else will beat me to it with a comprehensive list.

I can understand the difficulty the Plex team must have faced. When this new forum software provider offered to help it would have seemed like a god send. How do you bring back as quickly as possible the forums and still keep all the old posts that contained such a wealth of support info? It's a big dilemma. HOWEVER I hope these forums are a transient solution and you are looking at something else as frankly it will be very tragic if this becomes the permanent forum software and will undoubtedly hurt visitor numbers in the long term. Personally I'm finding I'm actively avoiding coming to the forums now as it's not a fun experience.

Maybe you can do wonders with skinning to make it work and look like the old one although judging on how bad it currently is, it will be a mammoth task. I think working on patching the old forums would have been a better option.

Good luck, I'm sure you're working hard on it and hopefully something better will come along soon.

• PlexhilaratedPlexhilarated Plexperimentalist Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,620 Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

I've said before... the most difficult forum software to learn, is the second one.

That said, I am having problems un-learning some of the things I used to do in the previous forum software. And I miss the ability to manage my own uploads (attachments, photos, logfiles, etc...) like we could in the old software.

The O/P commented that it looked like a Unicorn threw-up on a blank page, and every time I see another animated avatar, we get closer to that being the truth.

There were some things I didn't like about Plex when I first installed it, but those aren't so bad anymore either, so I'll give it time.

My Current Plexistence:
    Server: Intel i5, 14x3TB Internal Drives, Win-10, running PMS, PlexPy, PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, Plex for Windows 
    27" Samsung Monitor and Vivitek HD/3D Projector, 10' Diagonal Fixed Screen
    Dell Laptop: Win-10, running PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, and Plex for Windows
    Samsung 55" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Vizio 50" UHD TV: Vizio Plex App
    Samsung 40" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Tablet PC: Windows 8.1 Mobile App
    Motorola Droid: Android App
  • \0\0 Members Posts: 993 ✭✭

Only been here 2 minutes and got a tan..

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,185 Plex Pass

@\0 said:
    Only been here 2 minutes and got a tan..

So you have discovered another free feature of Plex.

I do not think that the site is bad at all. Most everything people are complaining about can easily be mitigated by settings in the browser. I know the screen is not too bright in my browser and the text is not too small.

I guess it is just easier to complain than it is to just take personal action to reduce or eliminate what is being complained about. I am firmly convinced that most people would rather complain than take action to fix the problem. There seems to be a very strong complaining gene active in a large number of the technology using population.

"We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming." Wernher von Braun
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children." Ancient Indian Proverb
    "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr
    "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm beginning to believe it." Clarence Darrow
    "Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away." Robert Orben
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
    "Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have."
    "Televangelists: The Pro Wrestlers of religion."
    "I do not want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality by not dying." Woody Allen
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." Oscar Wilde

• \0\0 Members Posts: 993 ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Markdown is a lightweight markup language with plain text formatting syntax designed so that it can be converted to HTML and many other formats using a tool by the same name. Markdown is often used to format readme files, for writing messages in online discussion forums, and to create rich text using a plain text editor.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,357 Plex Employee

These new ones look like a unicorn threw up on a blank page....

Not exactly what we were going for, but points for descriptiveness.

As a heavy forums user (check my post count), you'd think I would have a fairly strong reaction to the new site. But I have been really enjoying the clean new look, ability to drop images into comments, and the use of markdown to do complex quoting (dropping into [code] mode in the old forums made me feel like a script kiddie).

I generally prefer "night mode" but I spend enough time in GitHub and other sites that are black on white that it really doesn't bug me.

Just my $0.02.

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• SteveKSSteveKS Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

As a new user to forums, I only experienced the old forum for a week but have to say this new look works for me. I have found this forum easy to use and I like the clean feel it has.

559127efc2dd4.jpg

• PlexhilaratedPlexhilarated Plexperimentalist Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,620 Plex Pass

@elan

Ok... the Script Kiddie thing was good.
    But I still prefer the way images and attachments were handled by the previous forum tools.

$.02 more.

My Current Plexistence:
    Server: Intel i5, 14x3TB Internal Drives, Win-10, running PMS, PlexPy, PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, Plex for Windows 
    27" Samsung Monitor and Vivitek HD/3D Projector, 10' Diagonal Fixed Screen
    Dell Laptop: Win-10, running PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, and Plex for Windows
    Samsung 55" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Vizio 50" UHD TV: Vizio Plex App
    Samsung 40" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Tablet PC: Windows 8.1 Mobile App
    Motorola Droid: Android App
  • log0nlog0n Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

Though I don't have a large post count I've been lurking since Plex was forked from XBMC and think the new forum is major improvement in just about every regard except it's the only website I have to put my sunglasses on before loading. There are a few other odds & ends but I mean really the white... "the googles they do nothing"

• dericdddericdd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

I am certainly loving the new forums. :)

• don.alcombrightdon.alcombright Members, Plex Pass Posts: 591 Plex Pass

Setting browser level tweaks for a webpage is kind of counter-intuitive, pretty sure the web is suppose to adapt to your browser not the other way around, just my 2 cents though.

What I have found though, is I am here a lot less, and I didn't think I would be but I am. Not because of the color, but because things are to hard to follow. Finding new posts is a PITA to put it bluntly. Oh well I suppose.

PMS: unRAID 6.3.5 (32TB) + HDHomeRun Prime | Media: 2,698 Movies, 143 TV Shows (9,664 episodes), 25,683 Songs, too many photos...
    Living Room: Vizio 65" P-Series (2016) 4K LED TV, Denon X2200W, Klipsch Quintet III & Klipsch R-12SW, Apple TV (4th gen)
    Mancave: Panasonic 46" TH-46PZ800U 1080p Plasma TV Mi Box | Bedroom: Panasonic 32" TC-L32X1 720p LCD TV, Mi Box
    Connected Devices: iPad Air, iPhone 7+, iPhone 7, XBox One, Dell XPS 15" Infinity 4K
    Sharing is Caring: Fire TV Sticks | Roku's | Samsung TV's | Various Phones & Tablets

Plexing since November, 2012

• mike4001mike4001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 498 Plex Pass

I think it would go a long way if the user pics left of each topic where not this big.

Make them the size of the first line

• mike4001mike4001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 498 Plex Pass

Something like this: