Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sony Android Plex on Bravia TV

Just wanted to report an issue. You can not select 3D from the Sony TV for the plea application. You can for Youtube and other android applications. Who do I report this bug too?

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,203 Plex Employee

Its not a bug. it is feature that the app doesn't have. But I have reported to devs the desire to somehow detect the TV has 3d ability and enable a button to turn it on.

• LittlegreenmLittlegreenm Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hi there,

+1. Definitely improves the PLEX Android TV experience as without it'll be hard to play 3D movies.

• xmalxxxmalxx Posts: 2

+1 here too

• LittlegreenmLittlegreenm Posts: 3 ✭✭

I found a work-around for the 3D limitation in Plex. I have a KDL65W850C running Android. In order to activate 3D (SBS or over under), first go to the inbuilt video player app and press the action button on the remote. The 3D option will appear. Switch on 3D, then exit the video player app. Then go to Plex and play the movie, the 3D option will still be switched on. In order to watch normal 2D content again, go to the standard Sony videoplayer app and press action on the remote again, select 3D and switch it off.

• BassebuuusBassebuuus Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited September 2015

This has been driving me crazy!
    I have been trying to get the 3d autodetect to work, whitout any luck!
    And also as @sbriscoe says, the "3d" option is missing when in plex.

My friend with a Samsung tv says 3d works just fine in Plex.
    I am already using the same workaround as @Littlegreenm , but this is so damn annoying!

So what you are telling me is that there's no official support for 3d in Plex, on Android tv?

• sbriscoesbriscoe Posts: 9 Plex Pass

We only have a work around which does work.

"I found a work-around for the 3D limitation in Plex. I have a KDL65W850C running Android. In order to activate 3D (SBS or over under), first go to the inbuilt video player app and press the action button on the remote. The 3D option will appear. Switch on 3D, then exit the video player app. Then go to Plex and play the movie, the 3D option will still be switched on. In order to watch normal 2D content again, go to the standard Sony videoplayer app and press action on the remote again, select 3D and switch it off."

• BassebuuusBassebuuus Posts: 39 ✭✭

@sbriscoe: Yeah thats the workaround I used.

A better workaround I just found is to use the app:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tv-remote-control-tv-sideview/id594171390?mt=8
    This one has a built in "remote" with a 3d-button which opens up the 3d-settings on top on plex, so no need to go to the settings.
    Downside with this is that you need to use your phone, I wanted that /&¤#/("!#&Y¤/ button on the physical remote.

But whats the real problem here? Why isnt the 3d option displayed? Since it's visible in some apps, some not, I guess it's something that the developers need to enable?

And why no autoswitch, my friends Samsung does it!
    Any word from the developers?

• Martin...Martin... Posts: 50 ✭✭

To bad it doesn't work on my SONY Bravia TV to rename the files as you can do on Samsung:

SBS = The Martian.h-sbs.mkv
    OU = The Martian.h-ou.mkv

As you can see you just add the "h-sbs" or "h-ou" at the end of the file name, and the Plex client on the TV tell the TV it's a 3D file, and what type it is, and it'll auto place the TV in "3D" mode without you having to do this manually.

• mickeyjcmickeyjc Posts: 2

@Bassebuuus, where is the 3D button? I can't find it in that Sideview app

• mickeyjcmickeyjc Posts: 2

@Littlegreenm, after the latest sony firmware update, the workaround seems no longer works.

Is there any words from the developer when this can be fixed? I wanna watch 3d via plex too..

• simar.kalrasimar.kalra Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited April 2016

@mickeyjc I've got the same issue. I can't find the 3d button either.

Anyone got a workground or fix for this?

EDIT: I found a working workaround to get the TV to show the 3d menu.

First you need to start the movie on your tv and then use the scripts here to send the Show3d menu command to your tv. This should bring up the menu and then you can just turn 3d on. Annoying but it works.
    https://github.com/breunigs/bravia-auth-and-remote

• Dan1jelDan1jel Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@Bassebuuus said:
    @sbriscoe: Yeah thats the workaround I used.

A better workaround I just found is to use the app:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tv-remote-control-tv-sideview/id594171390?mt=8
    This one has a built in "remote" with a 3d-button which opens up the 3d-settings on top on plex, so no need to go to the settings.
    Downside with this is that you need to use your phone, I wanted that /&¤#/("!#&Y¤/ button on the physical remote.

But whats the real problem here? Why isnt the 3d option displayed? Since it's visible in some apps, some not, I guess it's something that the developers need to enable?

And why no autoswitch, my friends Samsung does it!
    Any word from the developers?

Damn you just saved my day! I thougt the same, why can i see the 3D settings when im on my PC via HDMI but not when i have stream a 3D movie from Android Plex. no fysical buttons to press on the remote but this workaround is just what i need. I have my phone on me all the time, just that it works without having to use the keyboard/mouse to view movies. Great find, thank you :)

• jedimacjedimac Posts: 2

I have a xbr900c and SBS doesnt auto detect but Top and Bottom do via plex app on android TV, however I can enable 3d manually if I use plex on my xbox one. The iphone App posted above did not give me a 3D button.

Buy a xbox one! (LOL)

• ozbrianozbrian Posts: 7 ✭✭

This problem has been going on a long time. I was very hopeful when I saw that there were major updates this month but Plex have still not addressed the 3D problem on Sony TV's

• drizuiddrizuid Posts: 8 Plex Pass

@simar.kalra said:
    @mickeyjc I've got the same issue. I can't find the 3d button either.

Anyone got a workground or fix for this?

EDIT: I found a working workaround to get the TV to show the 3d menu.

First you need to start the movie on your tv and then use the scripts here to send the Show3d menu command to your tv. This should bring up the menu and then you can just turn 3d on. Annoying but it works.
    https://github.com/breunigs/bravia-auth-and-remote

i just wanted to say, i tried the remote option in android and lacked a 3d button. i tried the above and it worked perfectly. my command was Mode3D rather than Show3d, but it popped the menu up within plex and the movie played perfectly in proper 3d after this.

• hoffa27hoffa27 Posts: 1

I have sony KDL-65W859C with same issue: disabilty of TV to show the 3d option in action button menu , from Plex or KODI appl. Original RC from sony is for this useless!!! For my TV model I found 3rd party no-name RC with HW 3D button:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322082419925

...works like charm... 100% better, as original!!!

• webdealerwebdealer Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hi

I am having same problem with my new sony (android) tv, no 3d support in plex, my old samsung tv showed 3d perfectly,
    I even tried the app on my nvidia shield (also android), with same problem.

I will try it from my PS4 later today.

• x43x61x69x43x61x69 Posts: 1

All those methods does not work on my KD-65X9300D with latest version of Android TV.

The tv simply shows "not supported".

• kale.samil@gmail.comkale.samil@gmail.com Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Is this a plex related issue?

This is driving me nuts! Before the last update (Android 6) I could use the workarround with the sideView App

• HudsonHudson Posts: 8 Plex Pass

@x43x61x69 said:
    All those methods does not work on my KD-65X9300D with latest version of Android TV.

The tv simply shows "not supported".

Have exactly same problem with KDL-50W807C... Android 6 ... Worked perfectly (by workaround) before updating to v6