Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Best method to upgrade FreeNAS Plex Plugin PBI to PlexPass version?

thirdgen89gtathirdgen89gta Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

In the past, to upgrade the free version of Plex to a new level I'd either click the "Update' button in Freenas plugins, or just download the FreeBSD Plex application, , stop the service and untar it to the Plex PBI directory, then restart it.

However, when I tried that with the download of the PlexPass 12.6 version, it destroyed the plex server and I had to restore it from a backup I made just for this purpose.

Best Answer

Answers

• rlobbinsrlobbins Members, Plex Pass Posts: 176 Plex Pass

Just a heads up that script no longer works again. You will likely need to install it manually again.

• TurboJailerTurboJailer Members Posts: 296 ✭✭✭

It's been working just fine for me.

• rlobbinsrlobbins Members, Plex Pass Posts: 176 Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

It no longer grabs the newest plex pass builds. Standard builds will work fine for the time being, but the link locations have changed again.

Edit: Never mind, forgot about the password change and didn't update the file that had my credentials. Works fine. My bad.

• sremicksremick Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,149 Plex Pass

I've always considered the script to be a delicate, unofficial "hack". It seems to break a lot. It's for this reason I opted to do a regular install of PMS from ports into a generic FreeNAS jail instead of using the plug-in. Makes upgrading so much easier and safer since you're using standard methods.

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• paradoxhubparadoxhub Members, Plex Pass Posts: 89 Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

So I noticed there's an update now for the server - I can't remember if i used PKG command or port commands (new to FreeNAS etc) to install plex initially (I didn't install it a a "plugin"), what would be the exaxt command I run to update it? I have plexpass/plexpass version installed.

I would rather not use the script as above, installing it only took a few small commands (lost the chat logs where someone helped me out with that...) but I don't know if like I said, pkg or port install matters when updating, or what the best option is. Is there a way to check how it was installed?

**Edit: **I found this page: https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/

When I try:
    "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/ && make install clean"
    I get:
    "/usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/: No such file or directory."

I definitely installed it manually but don't remember the exact steps.
    Currently version: 0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21
    Running on:
    FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE (FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p20 #0 r281084+77db986: Wed Jul 22 14:00:45 PDT 2015 root@build3.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/nightlies/FN/objs/os-base/amd64/tank/home/nightlies/FN/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64)

Thanks in advance.

Edit2:
    I found this post: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/981635/#Comment_981635

And tried these commands:
    cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass
    = /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass: No such file or directory.

pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

=
    Updating local repository catalogue...
    pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
    pkg: repository local has no meta file, using default settings
    pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/digests.txz: No such file or directory
    pkg: Unable to update repository local
    All repositories are up-to-date.
    pkg: No packages available to install matching 'plexmediaserver-plexpass' have been found in the repositories

So I guess I must have installed using pkg, and the pkg repo hasn't been updated yet? is that correct?

If so, how long after the update comes out does that usually take to happen?

Thanks again.

Unless you have a need to install with non standard options you should use pkg to install. Even if you have installed via ports previously pkg will update an installed package if an update is available.

I would try a package update first and see if that does it.

pkg update && pkg upgrade

If that doesn't work try the ports method since you've already stated that you're not sure how you installed it. You have to update your ports tree before you can perform any upgrade. To do that run the command below.

portsnap fetch update

After you've done that then try and run the commands in your previous post to update plex.

All of this can be found in the manual.

As I type all this I don't undertand why you are set against using the update script, it works great.

• paradoxhubparadoxhub Members, Plex Pass Posts: 89 Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

Hi,

I asked someone in IRC and I believe the problem is that I forgot I had to jexec into the jail before running the pkg update which is why it failed.

I did it like this:

SSH into the server with root.

# jls
    # jexec 1 tcsh (ID# or Name of the jail)
    # pkg upgrade plexmediaserver-plexpass

~Fetching files etc, proceed Y/N? Yes twice.

After installation, restart Plex with:

# service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart

Unfortunately it seems that the pkg repo is still using version 0.9.12.6.1347-54c2e56 and not the latest 0.9.12.8.1362 according to here: https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/

I guess I just need to wait a few days for the pkg to be updated and try again?

While still in the jail, typing:

# pkg search plexmediaserver

should list the current versions available on the package repository.

And this will update the repo I think incase you have an old copy:

# pkg update -f

Anyway hope this helps anyone.

Yes it takes the package repo's a few days to update. Glad you got it figured out.

• FittyFrankFittyFrank Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

Hi,
    I'm new to FreeNAS, but I've run the script from github, and even ran it by fetching the script from github with the above method, the shell returns Done after about 5 seconds, and nothing else happens. Within FreeNAS it still shows the old version number, and when I logon to plex it tells me I still need to update it. Can someone please help me out? I also have PlexPass.

edited September 2015

If you installed Plex via the Freenas plugin then the FreeNAS GUI will display the version you installed at the time you installed it. Running the update script will update Plex but not the GUI in FreeNAS. The update available notice is a known bug in the FreeBSD version of Plex and it says that regardless of what version you are running.

Go to the Plexweb GUI and click on the server icon to see what version you are actually running. I've been updating using the script since I first installed Plex almost a year ago without issue.

• techltetechlte Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Hello, has anyone successfully switched from a plexmediaserver install to a plexmediaserver-plexpass install? If so, what were the steps without losing everything?

• FittyFrankFittyFrank Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

@TurboJailer said:
    If you installed Plex via the Freenas plugin then the FreeNAS GUI will display the version you installed at the time you installed it. Running the update script will update Plex but not the GUI in FreeNAS. The update available notice is a known bug in the FreeBSD version of Plex and it says that regardless of what version you are running.

Go to the Plexweb GUI and click on the server icon to see what version you are actually running. I've been updating using the script since I first installed Plex almost a year ago without issue.

Hmm I don't recall what the version was from the plexweb app, but I know it was not the most current version (9.12.12, or 9.12.11 for non plex users, it was 9.08 or something along those lines) because it did not work on my brother iphone. I've been trying to upgrade using the script since the spring and it's never worked for me, even though in the shell it says that it worked. I ended up installing Plex from a package in a jail I made. Makes it a lot easier to upgrade, although I've run into what seems to be a very interesting bug which I made a separate post about.

• davfre76davfre76 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hi!

I am a newbie at freenas and i am not a master at Plex either. I am a plex pass user but i am not sure how to update to plex pass version. This might be a old post but i give it a shot :)

I used synology before and there you could download the new package and upload to plex pass version. I hope there is easy way for freenas.

I am thinking of make a fresh install of plex media server or maybe upgrade to freenas 11 and reinstall plex.

I tired these commands but that made my confused.

@paradoxhub said:
    SSH into the server with root.

# jls
    # jexec 1 tcsh (ID# or Name of the jail)
    # pkg upgrade plexmediaserver-plexpass

~Fetching files etc, proceed Y/N? Yes twice.

After installation, restart Plex with:

# service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart

Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
    FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
    All repositories are up-to-date.
    Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
    Your packages are up to date.

And when i restarted plex "service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart "
    i got this message

Cannot 'restart' plexmediaserver_plexpass. Set plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onerestart' instead of
    'restart'.

I tried to ssh with putty as root user but not sure what to do. Please if there is someone that could guide i would appreciate it.

When i logged in to the plex server by the web. I noticed there was a setting that i hoped could help me in the matter.

First page under server and settings "Server version updates" "Automatically during scheduled maintenance" and "Updating channel" "Plex Pass"

I would really appreciate your help.

FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 - ATX / Intel Z97
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4x8GB) / 2400Mhz / CL11 / CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 8 threads / 4,0GHz (4,4Ghz Turbo) / 8MB / Socket 1150
    OS Hard drive: Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB (MZ-750250BW)
    Hard drive: WD Intern Hard drive Red 3TB (8x3TB)SATA III (IntelliPower / 64MB Cache / WD30EFRX)
    Graphic card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC) (i hope plex will soon support hardware transcoding)

Do you have Plex installed in a standard jail or are you using the plugin?

• sash11ua@gmail.comsash11ua@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited August 16

@davfre76
    Did you try following the solution in this thread? It is marked as Accepted Answer in green.
    Personally, I've setup a standard jail manually and then installed plex-pass, following the instructions in this post:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1248924/#Comment_1248924