Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Media server stuck on "Starting"?

jamjam Plex Dev TeamMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,297 Plex Employee
edited October 2015 in OS X (Mac)

I'm really sorry everyone... I recently sent out an update which turned out to have some problems, and prevents the media server from starting. By the time we realised, it'd already been downloaded by several users. We've taken the bad update offline, so it won't affect anyone else.

If you've been hit by this problem, you can resolve it by taking the following steps:

• Quit the media server by selecting the Plex icon in your Mac's menu bar, and choosing "Quit" from the drop-down menu.
  • Open the folder "/Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins" in Finder.
  • Delete "Framework.bundle", and "System.bundle" or move them to the trash.
  • Restart Plex Media Server.

After that, everything should be back to normal. Please post in this thread if you're still having issues, and again I sincerely apologise for any trouble this has caused.

Edited by sa2000: 

The instructions above only apply to Plex Media Server releases before version 0.9.12.5

Best Answer

• chrisallenchrisallen New ZealandMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 624 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

If you are experiencing an issue where your Server is stuck with the "Starting" message, please provide debug Plex Media Server logs from the time you start the Server until "Starting" is displayed. This should help us determine where the issue lies and what might be causing it. Please also include both your OS X version and Plex Media Server version when posting your logs.

NOTE: We know this issue is not 'solved', but need to get more visibility of the issue and narrow down what might be causing it.

Answers

• robnieprobniep Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Awesome! It worked :)
  • kcmedickcmedic Members, Plex Pass Posts: 95 Plex Pass
    Hmmm. Looking at my updates and it looks like my machine did get the updates (System & Framework), but I don't seem to be having any issues starting. Was there another update that went out that fixed the problem or am I just lucky?
  • rdoumardouma Members Posts: 13
    Thanks, that solved it indeed.

P.S.: awesome that I saw the notion on Twitter; really powerful to notify people like that.
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,317 Plex Employee
    kcmedic wrote on 10 September 2010 - 03:52 PM:

Hmmm. Looking at my updates and it looks like my machine did get the updates (System & Framework), but I don't seem to be having any issues starting. Was there another update that went out that fixed the problem or am I just lucky?

"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

You were indeed lucky, we nuked the update after we got the first report from pumpkin that it screwed things up!
  • limborogerlimboroger Members, Plex Pass Posts: 53 Plex Pass
    Thanks for the notify on twitter. Due to this wrong update Plex Online wasn't doing anything anymore. So I guessed it would be be this problem. Et voilà, it worked :)

Thanks
  • ChrispyChrispy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 45 Plex Pass
    Elan & Jam - Thanks for the update and instructions to resolve, as I was lucky enough to get the borked Framework update.

Lovin .9 so far, great work.

Chris
  • djmayhemdjmayhem Members, Plex Pass Posts: 70 Plex Pass
    Just happened to me... Anytime something breaks, its pretty quick and easy to find the thread for it on the forums lol! GJ!
  • ccjensenccjensen Members Posts: 438 ✭✭
    yea, thanks for the quick note on twitter. Really a great way of getting an alert out
  • raketemenschraketemensch Members Posts: 57
    NOTE: It says "Restart Plex Media Server," not just "Restart Plex."
  • dpolombodpolombo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 135 Plex Pass
    Got the bad update, took me about 3 mins to research the issue, find this topic and fix it. Thanks for the great support, team!

Also, Plex for iOS feels mucho snappier since the update :)
  • SuhrSuhr Members Posts: 2
    This is something that never should happen.
    Please add an option to disable automatic updates in the future.
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,317 Plex Employee
    Suhr wrote on 10 September 2010 - 10:04 PM:

This is something that never should happen.

Yup, totally agree with you. We've instituted a better process over here to make sure it doesn't happen again.
  • ErikssonEriksson Members Posts: 21
    jam wrote on 11 September 2010 - 03:00 AM:

I'm really sorry everyone... I recently sent out an update which turned out to have some problems, and prevents the media server from starting. By the time we realised, it'd already been downloaded by several users. We've taken the bad update offline, so it won't affect anyone else.

If you've been hit by this problem, you can resolve it by taking the following steps:
    1. Quit the media server by selecting the Plex icon in your Mac's menu bar, and choosing "Quit" from the drop-down menu.
    2. Open the folder "/Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins" in Finder.
    3. Delete "Framework.bundle", or move it to the trash.
    4. Restart Plex Media Server.

After that, everything should be back to normal. Please post in this thread if you're still having issues, and again I sincerely apologise for any trouble this has caused.

Is there a way to start the PMS without starting Plex? There's an option to Quit PMS but the only way I have found to restart it is to strart Plex.

//Erik
    Eriksson wrote on 10 September 2010 - 11:10 PM:

Is there a way to start the PMS without starting Plex? There's an option to Quit PMS but the only way I have found to restart it is to strart Plex.

Yes, PMS is a regular application, you can find it in ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/Plex Media Server.app
  • maxtermaxter Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass
    Hi, I had the same problem. After deleting the "Framework.bundle" the server started again, but now i got another problem.
    When i try to start the Plex app, i only get an empty plex window, its grey. Any ideer?
    maxter wrote on 10 September 2010 - 11:58 PM:

Hi, I had the same problem. After deleting the "Framework.bundle" the server started again, but now i got another problem.
    When i try to start the Plex app, i only get an empty plex window, its grey. Any ideer?

That usually means you're using remote desktop and the monitor/TV isn't on. On OS X, the display needs to be turned on for Open GL apps to work.
    elan wrote on 11 September 2010 - 12:02 PM:

That usually means you're using remote desktop and the monitor/TV isn't on. On OS X, the display needs to be turned on for Open GL apps to work.

:-D Ahhh. i should have known, i little bit embarrassing, but thank's. you were right!
  • 6ive6ive Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Great! Media Manager works again, thanks.
    Have you removed Imdb as Info provider? i cant find it anymore
    maxter wrote on 11 September 2010 - 12:51 AM:

Have you removed Imdb as Info provider? i cant find it anymore

We no longer source data from IMDB.