If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Linux plex server won't start after sudden power loss

LandmarkWingsLandmarkWings Posts: 2Members ✭✭

After a sudden power loss my Plex server stop working. Server boots just fine but Plex services wont start. I tried "sudo service plexmediaserver start". Still not working. When I try getting on it on the web it shows "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED". I am on a local connection.

Best Answer

Answers

• eckartheckarth Posts: 455Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

Is the server process running or not?

Have you scrutinized the log file? What does it tell?

Nobody here is a "Hellseher."

• LandmarkWingsLandmarkWings Posts: 2Members ✭✭

The server process is not running, but where do I go for the log file?

• jtischjtisch Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 w/ Plex Version 1.7.5.4035 and I also can confirm that anytime I lose power suddenly, the next time I boot up Plex is corrupt and I have to remove the "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" folder and start over. I have tried several times to fix the problem to no avail, redo is all that ever seems to work. I sure wish I knew why this happens.

• code1997code1997 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is why one shoud run a server on a UPS. I recommend the APC Pro series. They are a little more expensive at arround 150€, but you can replace the Batterie inside and run your ethernet through it as well. This protects you in case of a lightning strike. If you dont know what a UPS is: It is a glorified Battery which shuts your PC down gracefully before it comes to a power loss.