If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can I default PCM on Samsung Smart TV?

Hi there, I am a Samsung smart TV owner. I use the toslink digital output to connect to my amplifier. My amplifier does not understand dolby digital and expects a PCM signal. Now comes the annoying part: when I start Plex app in my smart hub my TV audio setting is automaticly set to Dolby Digital. Every movie start to play this setting is set to Dolby Digital. When the movie is playing I can set it through the samsung audio settings to PCM, so I can hear the sound.But whenever I start another movie it is back to Dolby Digital. According to the Samsung support it is the movie that causes the setting. But I'm sure I have movies with PCM audio but also thise result in Dolby Digital output. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

«1345

Answers

  • OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    Under Preferences > Sound/Subtitles there is a setting called "Switch audio output based on media".
    If you disable that, it will not longer set the TV's output and will leave it to whatever you did set it.

    Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

    2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

    2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

    2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

    If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

  • howie1966howie1966 Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @ebert63 said:
    Hi there, I am a Samsung smart TV owner. I use the toslink digital output to connect to my amplifier. My amplifier does not understand dolby digital and expects a PCM signal. Now comes the annoying part: when I start Plex app in my smart hub my TV audio setting is automaticly set to Dolby Digital. Every movie start to play this setting is set to Dolby Digital. When the movie is playing I can set it through the samsung audio settings to PCM, so I can hear the sound.But whenever I start another movie it is back to Dolby Digital. According to the Samsung support it is the movie that causes the setting. But I'm sure I have movies with PCM audio but also thise result in Dolby Digital output. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

    I have the exact opposite problem. If i start out Dolby Digital it will stay that way until anything DTS is played and after that the tv switches to pcm and will no longer play in DD , but Dts always picks up. I have to go to audio settings and select DD after playing DTS. If i disable "Switch audio output based on media" then everything plays in pcm, but it's not a big bother .

  • ebert63ebert63 Posts: 2Members ✭✭

    Thanks Orca, that did the trick. I'm happy, and wil make a donation for your beer.

  • OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @howie1966 said:
    I have the exact opposite problem. If i start out Dolby Digital it will stay that way until anything DTS is played and after that the tv switches to pcm and will no longer play in DD , but Dts always picks up. I have to go to audio settings and select DD after playing DTS. If i disable "Switch audio output based on media" then everything plays in pcm, but it's not a big bother .

    And in which version do you see that? Are you using the latest?

    Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

    2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

    2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

    2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

    If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

  • howie1966howie1966 Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

    @Orca said:

    I use the latest version for my plex server(released 2 days ago ) and my tv has 1219. It's strange but anytime dts is played my receiver shows dts but go back to dd and i need to go to sound settings and change pcm to dd. I did notice this does not happen on anything that has its own hdmi connection such as my bluray player , fios and PC.

    I use a optical cable for TV audio because hdmi arc caused so many new problems like if i initially start watching fios about 5 seconds after everything powers up the tv switches to tv input and i had to add a button for every activity to switch the tv to the correct input, and the tv audio would switch from receiver to tv every time i turned the tv on. It got worse when i connected the 2015 one connect box.

  • tomgougouttetomgougoutte Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Hi there, sorry for my english (I'm french) I have the same problem as howie1966. Before the 2.003 version, the "Switch audio output based on media" works fine, the switch between DTS and DD was OK. Since the 2.003 version, the switch function not working. If i play DTS film and then DD film, the sound switch to PCM (and vice versa). If i want watch my film in good audio format, i must paused the film and then play ans the sound format is OK.

    Please, correct the issue :(

    Thanks

  • OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    The switch is working I can assure you, but if the TV accepts the switch that may be a different issue.
    If you enabled the "Send Debug to PMS" option and then check the logfile after reproducing the issue,
    you might see lines like this :

    17:25:15:466 [0792] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - setAudioOutput codec: dca
    17:25:15:467 [4680] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - Current mode: 0, New mode: 2
    17:25:15:467 [6856] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - Forced audio output to dca failed!
    

    In that case the TV did not accept the request for whatever reason, nothing I can do there.

    If you set the option to not switch the audio output you should see this line in the log:

    17:30:14:880 [6152] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - Auto change audio output is disabled
    

    Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

    2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

    2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

    2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

    If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

  • tomgougouttetomgougoutte Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Thanks for the reply Orca, i will test this tonight.

    But what I do not understand, with the 2.001 or 2.002 version (i don't remember) everything is ok...

    I'll let you know.

  • OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    You might want to uninstall the app, then power off the TV for a minute, then reinstall to be sure there are no old settings left behind.

    Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

    2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

    2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

    2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

    If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

  • tomgougouttetomgougoutte Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I tested with the debug mode :

    Aug 28, 2015 21:48:54 [0xb0b35b70] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Selected Audio codec: [ac3]
    Aug 28, 2015 21:48:54 [0xa9b7db70] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - Trying to switch AudioOutput to: Dolby
    Aug 28, 2015 21:48:54 [0xae335b70] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - Audio output switching not possible

    Aug 28, 2015 21:52:38 [0xa748fb70] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Selected Audio codec: [dca]
    Aug 28, 2015 21:52:38 [0xa9b7db70] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - Trying to switch AudioOutput to: DTS
    Aug 28, 2015 21:52:38 [0xae335b70] DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Audio.js] - Audio output switching not possible

    It's very strange...

  • howie1966howie1966 Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    It seems now my problem has been fixed with the 1220 update on my tv. I even switched back to hdmi arc and i am not having the same problems as before, it's working perfectly.

    The only minor bug is that it did not switch to DD automatically as i was watching Narco on netlix in uhd.
    But that was no big deal since this is the only issue now.

  • tomgougouttetomgougoutte Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

    @howie1966 said:
    It seems now my problem has been fixed with the 1220 update on my tv. I even switched back to hdmi arc and i am not having the same problems as before, it's working perfectly.

    The only minor bug is that it did not switch to DD automatically as i was watching Narco on netlix in uhd.
    But that was no big deal since this is the only issue now.

    You're lucky, I have no update for my TV and since 2.003 version, the switch not working...

    I have tested on another Samsung TV and it's the same problem....

  • Dhanraj palaniDhanraj palani Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I have the same problem, tried all options but no luck. My TV is F7500.

  • howie1966howie1966 Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @tomgougoutte said:
    I have tested on another Samsung TV and it's the same problem....

    I have the same plex from the app store as everyone(the one Orca so generously designed ) else, my tv's software was upgraded to 1220 from 1219 and that solved my problems. Before that the 2015 one connect box made it worse especially since i was using hdmi arc, but now that works perfectly so i disconnected the optical audio cable i was using for smarthub . My tv is the UN50HU8550FXZA.

  • tomgougouttetomgougoutte Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

    @howie1966 said:
    I have the same plex from the app store as everyone(the one Orca so generously designed ) else, my tv's software was upgraded to 1220 from 1219 and that solved my problems. Before that the 2015 one connect box made it worse especially since i was using hdmi arc, but now that works perfectly so i disconnected the optical audio cable i was using for smarthub . My tv is the UN50HU8550FXZA.

    My TV is a model 2012 (UE46ES800) upgraded with the samsung evolution KIT SEK-2000 (TV firmware : 2018.0 and evolution kit firmware : 1040.2). If i remove the evolution kit, the plex app return to 2.001 and all works better !

  • mav2010mav2010 Posts: 32Members ✭✭
    edited September 2015

    I have to chime in. I have exactly the same issue with v2.003 on an H6470 with firmware 2770. The change from Dolby Digital -> DTS is working fine most of the time. But from DTS -> Dolby Digital is not, the TV is reverting to PCM. Often the issue can be worked around by stopping the movie and restarting it.

    I tested with the final 2.002 version from the forum and there everything is working fine! So it's definitely an issue with 2.003. Can you please check?

    If you need further information, let me know.

  • copious_rexcopious_rex Posts: 1Members

    @Orca said:
    Under Preferences > Sound/Subtitles there is a setting called "Switch audio output based on media".
    If you disable that, it will not longer set the TV's output and will leave it to whatever you did set it.

    This worked as a viable solution for me up until a recent app upgrade removed this setting. It has been replaced by: Audio Output Mode; I've tried setting it to PCM only, but that doesn't work. Instead, I still have to manually set the audio to PCM within the Samsung TV settings.

    Is there a new area to select: "Switch audio output based on media"??

    Thanks!

  • mayorofbayswatermayorofbayswater Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Hello all

    I had followed the advice given above and was very happy that my Samsung TV allowed me to play my DTS (MKV) files However, it seems that after my latest update of the Plex app for the Samsung TV, there is no preference on the sound/subtitles to allow me to switch audio output based on media - this feature has gone from my app and has been replaced with AUDIO OUTPUT MODE. ..... The choices are - AUTO. ......PCM ONLY ..... PCM+DD ..... PCM + DTS.

    I have tried all the various combinations and unfortunately the sound still switches away from DTS and doesn't allow playback of the sound . The only way that I can get around this, is to Use the direct sound settings on my Samsung : tools : audio settings : sound : additional settings : digital out : and then changing this from DTS to PCM

    In the old app, I did not have to go through this whole palaver :-(

    Any advice ??

    Regards and thanks in advance.

    Mayor

  • MunshiHTMunshiHT Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I have the same issue. It use to work ok with old setting but since upgrade i have to change the Audio Setting everytime.... its annoying.

    @mayorofbayswater said:
    Hello all

    I had followed the advice given above and was very happy that my Samsung TV allowed me to play my DTS (MKV) files However, it seems that after my latest update of the Plex app for the Samsung TV, there is no preference on the sound/subtitles to allow me to switch audio output based on media - this feature has gone from my app and has been replaced with AUDIO OUTPUT MODE. ..... The choices are - AUTO. ......PCM ONLY ..... PCM+DD ..... PCM + DTS.

    I have tried all the various combinations and unfortunately the sound still switches away from DTS and doesn't allow playback of the sound . The only way that I can get around this, is to Use the direct sound settings on my Samsung : tools : audio settings : sound : additional settings : digital out : and then changing this from DTS to PCM

    In the old app, I did not have to go through this whole palaver :-(

    Any advice ??

    Regards and thanks in advance.

    Mayor

  • mayorofbayswatermayorofbayswater Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    Please let me m ow if you find a solution to this as its a real pain.

    Regards.

    Mayor.



    On 15 Jan 2016, at 21:42, MunshiHT wrote:

    I have the same issue. It use to work ok with old setting but since upgrade i have to change the Audio Setting everytime.... its annoying.

    @mayorofbayswater said:
    Hello all

    I had followed the advice given above and was very happy that my Samsung TV allowed me to play my DTS (MKV) files However, it seems that after my latest update of the Plex app for the Samsung TV, there is no preference on the sound/subtitles to allow me to switch audio output based on media - this feature has gone from my app and has been replaced with AUDIO OUTPUT MODE. ..... The choices are - AUTO. ......PCM ONLY ..... PCM+DD ..... PCM + DTS.

    I have tried all the various combinations and unfortunately the sound still switches away from DTS and doesn't allow playback of the sound . The only way that I can get around this, is to Use the direct sound settings on my Samsung : tools : audio settings : sound : additional settings : digital out : and then changing this from DTS to PCM

    In the old app, I did not have to go through this whole palaver :-(

    Any advice ??

    Regards and thanks in advance.

    Mayor
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.