If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Customize home screen?

luckman65luckman65 Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I guess that's not an option anymore?
Dashboard...?

Best Answers

Answers

• kideternalkideternal Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

I'm going to miss this too. :(

Especially the quick navigation to TV/Movies/Music/etc. It now takes two taps, apparently, both of which are much smaller tap-targets. Meanwhile, we've surrendered a third of the screen to resume watching something that we weren't interested in finishing a week ago in lieu of a TV series we've been watching every night for a week but the query isn't smart enough to realize. This is not an improvement!

• MrFancyPants1999MrFancyPants1999 Posts: 324Members ✭✭✭

Yeah would really love to be able to customize the home screen again. I hope they bring that back in the next update! Overall I like the UI once you get into the different sections and libraries. I just think navigation could be better and a little more simplified by allowing home screen customization.

• phunkysaiphunkysai Posts: 1,163Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me3. I don't usually watch media by the "suggested" content. My most used navigation is to click on "TV Shows" first, and then select the show I want to watch, and then the episode. The new design makes it somewhat harder to do this quickly.

Also, my wife, who watches Friends episodes out of order all the time, had no idea where the "TV Shows" library went, and I had to show her. I think that speaks pretty ill of the UI design of the home page...

Otherwise, thanks for the new app! Hopefully some of this stuff will get ironed out in the future...

• bmaaskebmaaske Posts: 210Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is a similar design to all new Plex clients. I don't think this will change because it's their strategic direction. You get used to it after a while. I've been used to it on Android and Roku for a while now so this was no surprise.

• stephenbanks@gmail.comstephenbanks@gmail.com Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Count me in for this also - on my TV I don't mind the "netflix" style browser but on my phone - I just want simple, rapid access to tv shows or movies and the same for synced content. I don't need suggestions or recommendations there. At least give us an option to simplify the listings to something less obtrusive.

• robertsigrobertsig Posts: 188Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also can care less about what I was previously watching, especially with it taking up so much real estate space. I liked the way the old client presented the initial menus better, but playback is definitely better on this version.

• sbbotssbbots Posts: 18Members ✭✭

+1 for changes to home screen. Do I care what is on deck or suggested? No.

• marchelh1marchelh1 Posts: 1Members ✭✭

Please please please bring back te dashboard view. I have an disabled son who uses the plex player to view his movies from the server. He is now unable to use the app anymore. And worst, due to the way Apple does not give you the opportunity to role back any applications.

• ijhammoijhammo Posts: 196Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kideternal said:
    I'm going to miss this too. :(

Especially the quick navigation to TV/Movies/Music/etc. It now takes two taps, apparently, both of which are much smaller tap-targets. Meanwhile, we've surrendered a third of the screen to resume watching something that we weren't interested in finishing a week ago in lieu of a TV series we've been watching every night for a week but the query isn't smart enough to realize. This is not an improvement!

Totally agree - far too many clicks to get to listed content - 3 clicks in fact -> Menu -> Section -> Browse. Having to explain this to my 5 year old who was able figure out the old app by herself says it all about the backwards step in ease of use...

• WilliamGWilliamG Posts: 440Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

Add me to this list. New layout is a huge step backward. I watch movies, mostly, - as I'm sure do many. So having access to my A-Z of movies is the most important thing to me. On Deck or Recently Watched is completely irrelevant.

At the very least this should be an option to have. Forcing everyone to have the On Deck/Recently Watched on startup is a bit odd (especially since the on-screen icons are so tiny that it's become a gasp chore to open the app and use it, now).

• JayselJaysel Posts: 130Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

Yes, I love it's awesomeness - But i do find it a pain to find my unwatched TV episodes now

• chrisivorychrisivory Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too, I don't mind the On Deck but I don't want the Recently Added. I want to tweak it to suit how I use it. Likewise the library order. Thanks.

• JohnAlexJohnAlex Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bmaaske said:
    This is a similar design to all new Plex clients. I don't think this will change because it's their strategic direction. You get used to it after a while. I've been used to it on Android and Roku for a while now so this was no surprise.

You can still customise view in the Win 10 app, why remove that from the iOS app.

• sfnetworksfnetwork Posts: 1,402Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

@ijhammo said:
    Totally agree - far too many clicks to get to listed content - 3 clicks in fact -> Menu -> Section -> Browse. Having to explain this to my 5 year old who was able figure out the old app by herself says it all about the backwards step in ease of use...

I get your point but two clicks after second time (it remembers if user was on discover or navigate.
    So, swipe (or click) and the library...
    Before, find your library in the multiple library icons all stuck in a very small scrolling area (which were all the same BTW) and click.
    IMO much better (and faster in my setup) but I understand not everyone likes this change I guess.
    But don't see the deal breaker here.., just accepting change and giving it a chance (an hour isn't enough IMO to spit on it)
    Just my opinion.

***Plex might add options to customise it also so... not all bad

• ijhammoijhammo Posts: 196Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

@sfnetwork said:
    ***Plex might add options to customise it also so... not all bad

I can figure it out and will get used to it - but for how I use the app it is a step backwards (there are lots of other nice things though like support for users and sync is much better etc)

But in the old app - it was two simple icons (kids movies and kids TV) right there on the home screen and it was easy for her to use. this one it's a tiny icon in the top right, then text selection before she gets to her stuff. My son who is 2 was also close to figuring out the older app but with the new one he stands no chance.. Lucky I have not updated his iPad yet :-)

Before anyone asks, yes my son has his own iPad! Daddy fancied a new iPad Air2 so the old iPad2 was donated.

I'd be all for a home screen customiser! :-bd

• pologeezerpologeezer Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

agree, my kids used to press one button to get to KIDS movies, now I will need them to press 3. The drop down, the name of the collection then the show all button.

Understand other people have different requirements.

If we could customize the home screen in future versions that would be great

• erk248erk248 Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is a massive step backwards. Clunky and unintuitive. Big letdown in letting viewer selection drive things. I didn't think Plex was about discovery of my own content - I thought others played in that space. I thought Plex was about the best way to manage my own content.

Home screen management/ customization please!

• institute11institute11 Posts: 1,454Members ✭✭✭

Please allow us to remove the continue watching banner from across the top. Takes up so too much space.

• tikilabtikilab Posts: 158Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The amount of work that was put into this release is obvious and I have no doubt it will get even better. Personally, I love the new "discover" features and using "chapters" is very cool. However, we really need the dashboard back.

I recently set up an account for my grandmother, who is 90 years old, so she can watch her old-time movies on her iPad. She loves Plex. (So much better than Netflix for her.) Unfortunately, the new tiny "hamburger" button is just too small for her to tap accurately and consistently. She needs the bigger buttons. The old Plex dashboard solved this problem nicely. It was a great way to customize the home page to make it easier for older people, kids, handicapped folks, etc. Please bring it back. You will make at least one totally awesome grandmother very happy! :)

• blcskateblcskate Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add me to this list. I have 3 kids with iPads that use Plex all the time (6, 7, and 9). I updated every one and then had to go through and explain to each kid how to open the Kids Movies or Kids TV Shows. The general theme of iOS is simple and intuitive. That does not apply to home screen of this application. The rest so far is great and thank you for the massive update.