If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

how to install update

markjwarrenmarkjwarren Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all - when I launch Plex from my Sinology NAS I have the orange band at the top of the page saying there is an update available. However in the package centre on the nAS it says the Plex app is up to date. I have downloaded the Plex update but don't know how to manually apply it to the NAS ??? Also I have just updated my iPad ap and that is now not reaching my Plex server because it says it needs to be updated ???

Am I missing something obvious here?? Thanks guys,

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• diemondiemon Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Hello! On the NAS Synology DS215j version installed Plex Server 0.9.12.3. My iPhone and iPad also offers to update the server and displays the published content.

Did you have written, but the update is not installed.
    I download the update at the NAS using the Download Manager (have a link to update https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39/PlexMediaServer-0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39-arm7.spk, I tried to download the update the link from the Web-interface Plex). After downloading via the network I copied the downloaded file on my MacBook and further to the NAS in the center of the packet tried to download the file "Installation Manual" - an error "The operation is impossible." In the "Settings - Certificates" my certificate installed Plex Inc., and confidence level is set to "Any developer."
    I even tried to remove the old version of Plex Media Server from your NAS result is the same.

Please help install the update.
    Thank you!

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,746Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

To uninstall Plex, open package center->installed->Plex and click on the 'Action' drop-down and select stop. Then click on the 'Action' drop-down and select uninstall.

If you see any error messages, then please grab a screenshot of the message and post it here.

After uninstalling Plex, click on 'Manual Install' then click on browse, navigate to where you saved the downloaded file, select it and click on 'open'. The rest is fairly easy, just follow the prompts.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • markjwarrenmarkjwarren Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Trumpy you're a legend !. Thank you so much for fast and spot on reply, followed your instructions to the tee and problem solved, now updated to the cool new Plex model (looks like quite a big change). It seems to be bit of a shame that Plex doesn't automatically renew for the NAS versions ( mines a 415play, very happy with it so far, been running Plex from it for about 8 months now), .

Once again thanks for your help - one more quick question, do you have any recommendations for offsite backing up of a large media collection 7TB plus, I was looking at something like back burner or similar?

edited August 2015

@markjwarren No, personally I don't like the idea of using someone else's machine to backup my data, it's just my paranoia kicking in I think, but, like most things, you can be handing over the rights to YOUR data very easily, so make sure you read the fine print before you even consider storing your files in the 'cloud'.

With large USB and internal hard drives available, I would recommend adding a couple to your PC. Seagate have just released an 8TB drive so that would help, but they are not so cheap. Or just grab a few USB drives and use those only when you need to. They will last a lifetime if rarely used and stored securely.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Yeah wise words Trumpy - I've sourced a good Western Digital from a local tech shop for just under $500 buck (NZ) for an 8TB external HD. I think thats the way I'll go - do a data transfer then store it at work and bring it home and do an update every month or so - that way I've got an 'offsite" copy always - and no nosey little pests in the cloud getting their mitts on it!

Thanks again mate, my Plex setup is humming along now. :-)

For $500.00 Bucks I would invest in an internal 8TB drive, that should cost you less than $400.00, but then you wont have the portability, so if the external works for you then that may be the best way to go.

Either way, you'll be able to keep your data out of the 'cloud' and safe ... :))

Regards,
    Andy M.

• pete738pete738 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2016

@trumpy81 said:

You should NOT store your media in the default 'video' folder on the NAS, if you have then open DSM control panel->shared folders and create a folder named Media or similar and make sure it has read/write permissions for both Plex and admin. Then move all of your media into the new folder you just created.

Can I ask why not put the media in the default video folder? I have this setup and have permission for everyone allowed? Why should I not do this? Thankyou

Synology DS214
    Mac Mini 2.3 Core i5, 8GB RAM
    Laptops, iphones, ipads

Proud Lifetime Member!

Synology DSM monitors and indexes that location by default and that monitoring/indexing can upset Plex at times and cause excessive scanning of your files. That can be an issue on underpowered NAS. You can turn off indexing of that location in DSM now, and I highly recommend you do that.

You can also have issues with file permissions preventing files from being added to your Plex libraries. In the past, the hidden @eadir folders and files that DSM stores in this location have also caused issues.

So as a precautionary measure, it is best not to use that location for your Plex media storage.

If you use Video Station, you can simply point it to your Plex media folder locations and it will use those locations the same as Plex does.

Regards,
    Andy M.

Ok great info. Thankyou!!!

As an aside. Is the default video folder the only folder that is likely to cause issues? I cant remember if there was a photos/pictures(or any other type?) folder that might cause similar issues?

ps: is there any other do/don'ts with a synology nas for a pms?

Synology DS214
    Laptops, iphones, ipads

Proud Lifetime Member!

As far as I am aware the default video folder is the only one that causes issues, but any of the default folders have the potential to cause an issue with Plex.

I suggest you read the FAQ's page, it contains information related to common problems with Plex on a Synology NAS. Link in my signature.

And DO make sure you name your files correctly and in accordance with the Plex guidelines. See the link in my signature regarding file names.

Regards,
    Andy M.

Thankyou again for your info. I had viewed the forum on my phone and not seen your signature. Great info - cheers.

One further question is the "file indexing" option within DSM for the shared "media" folder. I couldn't find any info on this in the faq or the searches I attempted. Is this something I should enable for my media folder/s?

Synology DS214
    Laptops, iphones, ipads

Proud Lifetime Member!

No, the media indexing option covers the default folders only, unless you add a folder to the list.

You should turn off that option for the default folders. That will help prevent DSM from indexing those folders.

Regards,
    Andy M.

Thankyou very much.

Synology DS214
    Laptops, iphones, ipads

Proud Lifetime Member!

Hey Trumpy - wonder if you can help with this one - a question related to Plex on LG tv's. Have just bought a late 2015 LG smart Tv (49UF770V), was assured by the store that there was a Plex app available for it. I unbox and find there isn't, seems the new operating system on the TV doesn't have one.

Is there an app coming soon for this model/generation of LG tv's or do I need to return the telly?

Thanks

I have no idea I'm afraid. You would be better off asking your question in the forum here: https://forums.plex.tv/categories/lg-medialink

Regards,
    Andy M.

cheers mate, will do