Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Not Connected....Unauthorized....etc

marsengillmarsengill Members Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have Plex Media Server running at home. My 2 son's iPad Minis had the Plex app and played fine. I upgraded and now it just won't show any media. Not connected or Unauthorized are the messages I keep receiving. What is going on? Can you please help? Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• marsengillmarsengill Members Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thank you VERY much. I will try this tonight when I get home.

• topmarktopmark Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Pleasure, hope it works for you

• jamjam Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,297 Plex Employee

If your server is showing as "Unauthorized", it means that the account you're signed into on iOS doesn't have permission to access it. Make sure you're signed into the same account on both, or have shared your server with the account you're using on iOS.

• George McFlyGeorge McFly Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

This is driving me insane. I've never had ANY ISSUES WHATSOEVER with Plex. Now I can NEVER, EVER join the server on my iPad. It always says 'Plex Server - Unauthorised'. I shouldn't need to uninstall and reinstall everything as some people above have suggested. I am paying for a WORKING APP.

My iPad and server are on the same WIFI network.

My 'Secure connections' is 'Disabled'. (I've tried 'enabled' too).

'List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth' - I have added my iPad IP address.

What more is there left to do to make this work?

• derick.catman@gmail.comderick.catman@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I just had this issue and it turned out that the Date/Time on the server was not accurate. Thankfully I have a super-SysAdmin brother who caught the issue and corrected the time. Rebooted the server and everything went back to normal.

CHECK YOUR DATE/TIME before anything else!!!

• jahowell66jahowell66 Members Posts: 2

I had this same problem and the problem turned out to be a setting in the Plex server settings. Go into the Plex server portal and choose Settings, then click the Network settings/tab and choose to Show Advanced. Scroll down to the option for "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" and enter the subnet that is used on your home network. I had upgraded my wireless router and it changed from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.151.0. So I changed the setting in Plex to allow: 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 and it resolved the problem.

• jahowell66jahowell66 Members Posts: 2

To find out what your IP subnet is you can go to the CMD prompt in Windows (Click Start, Run and type CMD and hit enter; or use the Windows Key + R and type CMD and hit enter). Then type ipconfig. Look for your IPv4 Address and your subnet mak and you can use those or if they are set to something like 192.168.0.1 you can enter 192.168.0.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, Enter it like this in the "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" option field: 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0

• mytv12590mytv12590 Members Posts: 1

I had issue in windows 10
    we failed to reach a server reason: unauthorized
    Open regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server
    Create a new string value entry
    I added a string secureConnections
    with value 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    fixed the issue

other variables are listed here
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201105343-Advanced-Hidden-Server-Settings