If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How does updates work

When I click on Media Manager and it opens, it shows there is a new update for Plex Server. If I download and install the update, will I have to set up everything again ??

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No. Your setup will be untouched.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• taproomtaproom Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have an update ready to install. If I click Install Update, the button changes ti Installing but nothing seems to happen. Waited an hour then rebooted to get things operating again. I'm running Windows 8.1. Any thoughts? I'm a PLEX Newbie...

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,052Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

this only works, if you are actually sitting on the computer on which the server runs. You should take a look at the process list/task bar. A setup program should appear there.

If you server runs on a NAS, refer to the NAS subforums here.

If your server runs headless on a PC, use a remote desktop program to log into it.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • taproomtaproom Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ahh, thank you. I did RDP to the server when I saw the update was available and clicked the Install button. Received a message that I should have desktop access before proceeding, so I went to the server console and logged on. Did not look for or notice a taskbar icon however. I will take a closer look this weekend. Thanks Again.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,052Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If you use RDP anyway, just download the newest setup program manually and install by hand.

End/stop PMS. If you run PMS as a daemon/system service, make sure all processes with 'Plex' or 'Python' in their name are actually stopped. If not, shoot them down.Then install the newest version.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging