Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Remote access broken since SSL version release

atf130atf130 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All,

Great to see SSL being implemented in Plex. Only problem is remote access keeps going offline. This has been since security has been added to the latest release , never had a problem before, been running plex since...forever!

Version: 0.9.12.8

Any other folks having this issue?

Thanks

Answers

• Elvin AtombenderElvin Atombender Posts: 62Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I too am experiencing the same issue. I've previously shared logs with the devs. I'll share more logs on the next occurrence. I previously had the PMS behind a (single) NAT but based on some forum posts it seemed that the "Manually specified port" could be the culprit. To eliminate that as an issue I put the PMS on a static public internet address. Still experiencing the problem.

Version: 0.9.12.9

• atf130atf130 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

I have not changed any settings. Same router and server config. NAT has always been enabled as well as manual port assign. No changes except for upgrade to newer version of Plex.
    I have several people I know who have same issues with thier servers windows 7 x64 and on 8.1 x64 .
    I have disabled secure connection. So fat working ok. Every 2 or 3 hours or sometimes sooner remote access is offline if required or preferred is selected.
    Something to look into for Dev team, have number of clients connecting remotely and this new update has issues with SSL. Uninstall and reinstall Plex Media server a few times to no avail.

Any more feedback on this will be very helpful.

Thanks

I installed 0.9.12.9 last night and so far have not disconnected from Remote Access, about 12 hours.
    I will see how long it stays up for this time.

• Milupa5Milupa5 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1, same problem

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 26,812Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

None of this will help without debug log files and setup information for remote access. Is there any evidence that with Secure Connections set to Disabled the remote access is more reliable ?

Sure, I understand logs are needed. debug logs are a little intrusive, so will clean it up and then post.
    There is no evidence as yet that Secure Connections set to disbaled is more reliable. Remote Access still goes down but after a slightly longer period of time.

I have port forward enabled at the moment on my router and always have and port maps correctly and remote access is fine for a number of hours and then goes down.

I have to say in all the years of using PMS this is the first time had issues with remote access.

Update on Version 0.9.12.9:

Remote access fine for approx 18 hours then went down again.
    Bouncing PMS almost always resolves the issue which I have done now and also removed port forwarding rule. Remote access back up and running, I will see how it goes for the next few hours to see if Remote Access disconnects at all.

• zonediverzonediver Posts: 262Members ✭✭
    edited August 2015

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA whats up with this Plex again??????
    I cant connect my server to my plex account in plex web (v0.9.12.8).
    Message: There is a problem connecting to your account - LOL????????
    Really????
    What a kind of "stupid" error-message is this????

• mukatymukaty Posts: 2Members

I;m having the same problem, spent lots of money on a new switch, cat 5Es, even a new modem.....................
    any suggestion????
    all I get is Video Unavailable error message.............

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 26,812Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@mukaty said:
    I;m having the same problem, spent lots of money on a new switch, cat 5Es, even a new modem.....................
    any suggestion????
    all I get is Video Unavailable error message.............

I suggest you have a look at the Support Portal here: support.plex.tv and raise a topic for your problem summarizing your issue in the title

You need to establish whilst plex clients this error appears to and always test with Plex Web App on your server

Specific support pages of relevance:
    Reporting Issues with Plex Media Server
    Plex Media Server Log Files

• FrederikFKFrederikFK Posts: 566Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

For those having problems, does your server machine sleep during idle periods? I have the problem (discussed here) that Remote Access is lost when waking from sleep (the only way to get it back is to do a manual re-instating, "Retry" in Server Preferences, Remote Access).

Check this info to see if your server is registered with plex.tv; for Remote Access to work via plex.tv, you need have an entries for both a local (local=1) and a public (local=0) address:
    https://plex.tv/api/resources?includeHttps=1

Update. I removed port forwarding rule(which I have always had previously and never had any issues) so far Remote Access has been working fine on various clients:

Chrome, Windows 7
    IOS
    Android V5

Uptime for Remote Access is around 21 hours odd so far. Hope it stays like this now.

• markdurrantmarkdurrant Posts: 3Members

My remote access has now also broken and will not reconnect since the update.

Plex Version: 0.9.12.11
    Port manually specified: 32400
    Port forwarding rule on my router's firewall: 32400 <-> 32400

I've not changed anything except for updating the Plex version, it has worked flawlessly up until this point.

edited August 2015

An update on my new settings.
    I disabed port forward and PMS has been running well no issues so far.

My recommendation to those who are having to renable Remote Access often, is to first disable port forward and see if your ports map automatically. If not I would add a new port range e.g 32401 and map it to your router, I tried this on a another server which also had issues and that seemed to have fix it.
    Not sure why this has happened in latest release but so far I am back up and running without any issues.

Restart PMS once changes have been made.

• starbetrayerstarbetrayer Posts: 3,306Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@markdurrant said:
    My remote access has now also broken and will not reconnect since the update.

Plex Version: 0.9.12.11
    Port manually specified: 32400
    Port forwarding rule on my router's firewall: 32400 <-> 32400

I've not changed anything except for updating the Plex version, it has worked flawlessly up until this point.

PM me