Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Play All Music in Folder

I am trying to just play all the music files in a folder as one playlist. The problem is that it is sorting them by artist, genre, year, album etc but I cannot see an option to just play all. Also if it can do them randomly that would be good as well.
The folder that I am trying to do will have random mp3 files from different albums\artists that I am in the mood to listen to. I change the contents daily\weekly when there is a new song I like or remove one when I am tired of it.

Answers

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,798 Plex Employee

We do plan on bringing Play All/Shuffle to the library level, so it would work for any library type.

• Superflyer77Superflyer77 Posts: 2 Plex Pass

OK so it is not available yet? Any idea on when this would be coming?

• Yes, my Plex for Roku has updated itself today. And well it looks pretty enough I can not search/play my music library by folder.
    All my music is in folders for different moods / dj's / live sets. So they do not show up as the sets have no or nil tags.
    The ap is useless to me unless I can browse my library by folder and play from there. Random play a folder also sounds like a great idea!!

Am I missing something ??? or has this ability been removed in the new update of Plex for Roku users?

Looking forward to a reply or comment,

Bo
    www.techbo.ca >:/

• Norrin__RaddNorrin__Radd Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Same thing here, unable to play by folder. Either a regression bug or you purposely removed a very useful function.

Either way, the question is...WHY??? And why no official response yet? :-(

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,375 Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

@Norrin__Radd said:
    Same thing here, unable to play by folder. Either a regression bug or you purposely removed a very useful function.

Either way, the question is...WHY??? And why no official response yet? :-(

The first reply above is from a member of the Plex development team. Official enough?

• browneactionbrowneaction Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited October 2015

same here.. I can play all my music on random which is not how many people would ever choose to consume their music.The filtering by genre doesnt work; it lists a bzillion genres which I havnt tagged my music with, and it just doesnt work. Even if genres did work I cant use random so would grow pretty tired of the same song set in a hurry. I can browse folders of music ant cant listen to a folder so that's a waste of time. But the biggest lack of functionality is I cant use my legacy (m3u) playlists that Ive been building up and adding to over the past two decades. Surely it cant be too hard for plex developers to read an m3u playlist and stream that out (and making the random feature work of course). That is how many people consumed their music for years, and still want to. Adding supposed playlist support a while back to plex was a marketing spin as all it did was allow me to begin making new playlists rather than use my legacy ones. It would probably take me three solid months of effort to recreate my playlists which is a catalogue of over 20000 songs.

I love plex, but the music piece is utter poop (at this point in time). Hoping for some real improvements so i can use plex music instead of my legacy ways of listening to it.

• marcsakamotomarcsakamoto Posts: 5 ✭✭

Just want to add my vote for the option of playing all tracks in all albums in a library. I had this feature when I was using Windows Media Player with my Roku but lost it with Plex. It was my favorite way to enjoy my record collection.

@marcsakamoto said:
    Just want to add my vote for the option of playing all tracks in all albums in a library. I had this feature when I was using Windows Media Player with my Roku but lost it with Plex. It was my favorite way to enjoy my record collection.

This feature is present in the new standard Plex for Roku app.

• marcsakamotomarcsakamoto Posts: 5 ✭✭

beckfield: I don't see it. Could the problem be that I use the Plex "Classic" app?
    @marcsakamoto

@marcsakamoto said:
    beckfield: I don't see it. Could the problem be that I use the Plex "Classic" app?
    marcsakamoto

Yes. That's no longer the standard app. It is no longer being developed. They renamed the old app to "Classic" and kept it around for compatibility with older hardware.

• kuif75kuif75 Posts: 4 ✭✭

@ljunkie said:
    We do plan on bringing Play All/Shuffle to the library level, so it would work for any library type.

When will this be tho?

@kuif75 said:
    When will this be tho?

As mentioned, it is already done.

• marty.epsteinmarty.epstein Posts: 67 Plex Pass

i look forward to the play all in a folder shuffle on the desktop. I can do it on my ios devices which is very nice.

• lagerglagerg Posts: 1

I'm experimenting with Plex to stream music to my HEOS. There is no option to play all my music in the library. I can do it with the web interface but not a DLNA client (i.e. HEOS). Looks like I may have to stick to PlayON.

• kuif75kuif75 Posts: 4 ✭✭

@beckfield said:

@kuif75 said:
    When will this be tho?

As mentioned, it is already done.

Beckfield, it still ISN'T.

Anytime i try to play a folder on my plex (apple imac & laptop) it just wont let me! And its updated to the latetst version.... STILL NO FOLDER PLAY possible

• gizmozgizmoz Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Wow! I just ran into this today. Very frustrating to pick one file at a time in a folder. I would not have gone for Plex Pass if i had known this issue. Major drawback... Sad.

Let's not forget that this forum is for issues with the Plex CLASSIC app for Roku. This app is no longer under development, and therefore will never have this function.

The current Plex for Roku app has this feature. If you are wanting the feature in other apps, you need to bring it up in the appropriate forum. You will get little to no attention from the appropriate people by bringing it up in a stale thread in a forum for a discontinued app.