If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Feature Request: View entire play queue in Plex Web app

dmacbridedmacbride Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Plex Web App

I'm using the plex web app (Windows server version 0.9.12.4) to play music and cast it to a Chromecast. The "play", "play next", "add to up next" are working fine - music is playing. Yay.

After queueing up a few albums or many singles I have a long list of music in the queue. Often I want to review and modify the queue; I want to change the order of items in the queue, sometimes remove items. Basically I want to use play to DJ for a house party, etc and perhaps allow guests to update the queue as well

I found the "up next" function in the web app, and it does some of what I need. However I find it has limitations:

• I cannot see or scroll through the whole play queue. I can only see part of the play queue
  • when there are more items in the queue than will display in the window, the items displayed are not the ones at the head of the queue. I cannot see the song that is next.

Is there a way to view and scroll through the entire play queue in the Plex Web app? I want to be able to do the following:

• view and scroll through the entire queue
  • change the order of items in the queue
  • remove items from the queue
  • ideally I could use multiple select as well (I don't like implicit queues so often want to remove all of the songs added implicitly)

Answers

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 4,000Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

As an alternative, you could create a playlist from the Up Next queue. Then you could do everything you're asking for, except multi-select. When viewing the Up Next queue, at the top right corner of the list is an "add to playlist" icon. There's no tooltip explaining what it is, but it looks like a small version of the "add to playlist" icon on the left sidebar.

• rbaffert@yahoo.frrbaffert@yahoo.fr Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

hi,

I was wondering if I was the only one to find this bug annoying ! that's just that when you want to scroll on the "play queue" small popup, it's just changing the playing volume. Very annoying !

Why isn't it a link to "show entire play queue" ? or is it just hidden somewhere ? Am I the only one missing this very basic function ?

• troymccabetroymccabe Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If I'm queueing up several albums for a couple hours of work, I would prefer not to have to make a playlist just to manage the songs queued up to play.

Any way that the playlist interface could be re-used for "Up Next"? Even if there's a temporary playlist under-the-hood so the playlist interface could be re-used without effort would be awesome.

Thanks for all the work on Plex, loving have it set up!

• gavinhogan@gmail.comgavinhogan@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah, I am a bit bothered by this too. I have adapted by creating daily playlists. In particular I want to be able to shuffle my queue. If anyone knows how to do so without a temporary playlist please let me know.

• evilmanimanievilmanimani Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for either a button to view/manage the entire queue, or at least a scroll bar in the pop-up.

• mmg12345mmg12345 Posts: 82Members ✭✭

+1, spent a lot of time looking for this, can't believe it's not present

• darkjamesdarkjames Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 also had this issue just now.

To reiterate what I would find useful:

• Up Next was scrollable
    • Up Next/Now playing (music) had a full screen view where I could see the entire upcoming list.
    • Shuffle (so I don't manually have to shuffle my list that I probably queued up in a non-random order)
  • zoli99zoli99 Posts: 5Members Plex Pass
    edited May 26

+1 please note that these are really basic functions of a media player program. You can find it everywhere and I am really surpised that it is missing in plex (its a shame). I have just checked, even the very simple win10 stock "groove music" program can manage queues! The basic queue functions a proper music / media program has to provide:
    - add to queue (artist, album, song)
    - scroll the queue,
    - reorder the queue by drag and drop, delete items
    - shuffle the queue
    - all this whitout the need to make a playlist
    - possibility to save the queue as a playlist
    You may look at the pc programs Itunes, Spotify, Sonos, etc. even Groove music... to see how it is done.

EDIT: Even the free Audio Station of Synology - which looks much simpler than plex - can do all these queue functions. I will use Audio Station until Plex develops proper queue functions.

• CjemersonCjemerson Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have to say that I agree with @zoli99 - I like to use mixes based on a track (Plex Mix) but can't see what's coming up. Most annoying. Hope this gets fixed soon.

• blakflagblakflag Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed, I love love love Plex, but they put almost no effort into the actual media player functionality. It's pitiful. I remember the good old days of Winamp playlists, wish there was a love child of Plex and Winamp.

• elvisman113elvisman113 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@blakflag said:
    Agreed, I love love love Plex, but they put almost no effort into the actual media player functionality. It's pitiful. I remember the good old days of Winamp playlists, wish there was a love child of Plex and Winamp.

"almost no effort" - this is wildly unfair. The devs have put a lot of work into...pretty much everything...even since I bought a PlexPass a couple months ago (used the free version for years and finally got a nice offer :smiley:). They have to balance functionality and user experience, which is not an easy thing to do.

To prove my point, the play queue has had a major upgrade!! Add to queue, reorder, delete, scroll, save to playlist all work for me, as of Version 1.9.6.4385.

• evilmanimanievilmanimani Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've noticed the update, and it's definitely an improvement albeit with one major flaw: It appears that the list can only display the next 20 items at a time, everything else is inexplicably hidden; I wonder if this is this a bug, or a conscious decision?