If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for LG WebOS 2.0 TVs

The previous thread for LG TV's is now closed.
Any update on when Plex will come to WebOS 2.0 TV's?

The last update was from 1st August and said something like "we're waiting on LG to review tthe app"

Comments

• AlexDuaAlexDua Posts: 221Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Based on my interactions with LG, it might take months for them to do anything. It appears that they favor junk apps from Russia and China, and their support is junk. The firmware files for their TV's are not even posted properly on their web site. I would not blame Plex.tv for any delay.

• saltedlollysaltedlolly Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

To quote @mattseeley from Aug 1st '15:

"We've resubmitted out app to LG for webOS 2 testing. We'll post here when it's available."

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/147094/official-plex-lg-smart-tv-has-arrived/p19

However....

• krislordkrislord Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@saltedlolly said:
    To quote mattseeley from Aug 1st '15:

"We've resubmitted out app to LG for webOS 2 testing. We'll post here when it's available."

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/147094/official-plex-lg-smart-tv-has-arrived/p19

Yup that's what I was referring to in my initial post. As the thread was closed I started a new discussion specifically about 2.0 support. I was hoping we'd know more by now but based on AlexDua above, this isn't a quick process.

• SIcKSIcK Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is a new update out, but still no app for my webOS 2 UF850 TV :(

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,355Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Our webOS 2 submission was rejected by LG. I'm looking into their feedback and hope to resubmit very soon.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• krislordkrislord Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@mattseeley said:
    Our webOS 2 submission was rejected by LG. I'm looking into their feedback and hope to resubmit very soon.

Thanks for the update Matt. For now I'm using plex via the now tv box. I tried using the LG smart share (DNLA) feature but itd rather use plex as it keeps track of what has been watched.

• nruppasnruppas Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

thanks for the update, good luck! i have the UF850 as well and i just wish LG would open up their store to more quality apps like plex rather than the junk they currently have.

• rmhomermhome Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agree with the above, really hope they approve it soon :(

edited August 2015

All I can say is it's sad to see that such a large company as LG have such bad support. Their phone and email support is useless. All they do is reference the same web site we have access to. It appears they are some external entity. They don't post FW updates in a timely manner. And recently a file was posted for a TV but the ZIP file was empty!? It raises a lot of red flags IMO. They either outsource everything or something else is going on. I have read up on this and it also appears they had some friction with the WEBOS dev team that is/was originally based in the US. Honestly I am happy with TV in general, but App store is garbage filled with garbage. Just sad to see Samsung and even other less know brands having better apps. Just hope they approve and push out Plex before North Korea invades.

Oh and Matt, just sign the code as originating from China or Russia and you should get instant approval.

• rossomike1966rossomike1966 Posts: 56Members ✭✭
    edited August 2015

i hope soon....

• michaelthomsonmichaelthomson Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here for the Kiwi edition of the LG store - it's total bollocks. I've had to interact with LG twice in six months, they claim their NZ support is handled by Australia, but from that accent (almost impossible to understand) I've no doubt it is done in South East Asia. Basically my experience has been crap, whilst LG don't make a bad TV, their customer experience is completely terrible, their support is basically non-existent, and the apps and products (or lack of) are uninspiring to say the least.

My TV was purchased in January of this year (2015), and it is already out of date and not support because of their upgrade to WebOS2.X. Accepting the TV was manufactured evidently in August 2014 I am pretty amazed that a TV that is just on a year old is not supported or upgraded. Basically they said if I want WebOS2.X and the improvements it brings, then I need to upgrade my TV.

So yeh, sorry to say but this is the last LG I will ever buy - after having 3 previous LG TV's - even Apple supports it's products for more than twelve months after being produced.

I would say avoid LG, crap service, crap support, crap updates. Basically as a company their philosophy appears to be 'F**k you customer, once you buy our products we don't care".

@michaelthomson said:
    Same here for the Kiwi edition of the LG store - it's total bollocks. I've had to interact with LG twice in six months, they claim their NZ support is handled by Australia, but from that accent (almost impossible to understand) I've no doubt it is done in South East Asia. Basically my experience has been crap, whilst LG don't make a bad TV, their customer experience is completely terrible, their support is basically non-existent, and the apps and products (or lack of) are uninspiring to say the least.

My TV was purchased in January of this year (2015), and it is already out of date and not support because of their upgrade to WebOS2.X. Accepting the TV was manufactured evidently in August 2014 I am pretty amazed that a TV that is just on a year old is not supported or upgraded. Basically they said if I want WebOS2.X and the improvements it brings, then I need to upgrade my TV.

So yeh, sorry to say but this is the last LG I will ever buy - after having 3 previous LG TV's - even Apple supports it's products for more than twelve months after being produced.

I would say avoid LG, crap service, crap support, crap updates. Basically as a company their philosophy appears to be 'F**k you customer, once you buy our products we don't care".

Ok, here is my rant 2.0:

I hate to say this but I think from a hardware perspective, webos 1.0 was a DOA. I think memory storage and possibly CPU might play a role. But I could be wrong. Maybe they just are too lazy to make it work allowing all webos 1.0 people to get 2.0, even if cut down due to storage problems.

To be honest other than the lack of apps, the webos2.0 and native Netflix, Amazon and other apps are fine for me. But yes no other apps are out there, they don't seem to care. I think their software team might be based in China based on the fact that they had a China app dev contest and a large number of apps are from China. Perhaps the party has to approve all these apps? Maybe they just reverse engineer all apps that come in and deny them? China R/D= Receive and Duplicate.

The worry I have is being cut off when and if webos3.0 comes out. The recent Webos 2.0 update seems to resolve some issues I found. So they appear to be working on updates. But yes 100% I agree, their normal support sucks. When you call to report a specific issue they don't understand what you are talking about and do this automatic, lets check for updates BS. It is clear they outsource to some call center in India or another place. You are NOT talking to someone from LG that actually know anything about TV's. They just follow a script and go to the same public web site we see for information. You would get the same answers from any mope on the street, waste of oxygen.

I suppose the worst case scenario, once they totally drop support and new app dev, you get some media box like Roku or something else. By the time LG totally drops support for our TV's (webos 1 and 2) the 4K version of these players should be out and you can just say FU to WebOS, let the TV function as a monitor. I guess webos 2.0 will be updated for another 6 months, then they drop me for webos 3.0 and I will join your club.

However I will give credit where credit is due. The 4K image on these IPS's is just great. Netflix in 4k just blows my mind. Native 4k Video played via USB key is like a window. The fact that DeepColor is supported on the 65UF8500 that I have is sort of nice. So for the money, it's not a bad deal. I just wish we have apps like HBOGO, Sling.TV, Plex! , and a ton of other apps. I have a Roku on my other TV's and the Roku App store is a day and night difference compared to LG. IF LG actually let the WEBOS team do what they want and not bog it down with big corporate BS, I think WEBOS would be the best TV O/S ever. But I sense there is some internal crap going on with LG. Or they are just more interested in breaking trade show dishwashers and washing machines from rivals.

Once and if Roku 4k boxes come out I will get that to compliment this TV and make up for the pathetic LG app store.

Matt, I have a question: Their app dev team the same pathetic bunch? Did you go WTF to the notes they sent you as to the reason for the reject? Just curious.

I agree with all of those points, including the fundamental quality of the overall product, however, they clearly have a long long long way to go in terms of their customer experience and the apps they provide to any customer. This geo based thing is similarly annoying, down in this part of the world we are pretty much stuffed - when Netflix arrived here I rang LG Australia (in asia for sure), and the CS rep said, 'what, netflix in NZ, are you sure'? This wasn't really all that inspiring.

Sadly we don't get roku down here at all, we are stuck with overpriced and out of date apple TVs or WD Media players, nothing else available. I don't doubt LG doesn't make Aust or NZ much of a priority because of the small population bases.

On a final point, and in regards geo set ups, my less than 12 month old TV will also not work outside of NZ/Aust/Asia. I am likely to move back to the UK next year, which will mean because of this Geo setup, the TV basically does become an overpriced monitor.

I said it before, and i'll say it again.... never again will an LG product cross my threshold, here or in any other part of the world.

One interesting thing that the Aust/NZ LG TV's have is the Timemachine DVR feature (where one can record live shows onto a USB HD for later playback). Some of the earlier LG's had this in the states, but not anymore. I called LG asking about this and the lack of it in the states and they obviously had no clue what I was talking about. So that is the only positive thing about the units you guys have. However, yes the tuner will only work there, not in states or UK. But can't you get some receiver box that connect to tv? Maybe something like this?:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-OPENBOX-V8S-Full-HD-TV-Digital-Freesat-PVR-Satellite-Receiver-Box-UK-Seller-/301619806599

Good luck.

Yep, and of course a Sky or similarly box (Tivo maybe) will overcome the barrier, but I still think LG's approach is rather poor. I can't imagine this is a hardware issue per se, rather, they are just for some unknown reason of the mindset that TVs don't change continents. You're right about the time record thing, it is here on mine though I found it wouldn't accept a WD drive, and it'**** and miss with plain old USB thumb drives so I don't really use it. My TV has infact just become a monitor for my mac, 55 inches is a big monitor but ultimately the absence of good apps, the limits around content via freeview here and so on mean it's really not much good for anything else. I've said it before and i'll say it again, i'm very disappointed in LG and this is the last time I will buy one of their TVs, so i'm always keen to see what others recommend. I was pondering Samsung perhaps, maybe Sony but thats a bit iffy these days.....

@mattseeley said:

Matt, just curious what is that status on this? Not bitching or pushing, just curious. I am happy with Plex. Thanks for the hard work.

• lamentlament Posts: 26Members Plex Pass

Also interested since I'm waiting for the 55EC9300 OLED to drop a bit in price before I jump on it.

• lamentlament Posts: 26Members Plex Pass

So I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at the 55EC9300 which uses webOS 2.0 (gorgeous, btw), and noticed that Plex was in the LG store. Is the deal that it won't work on webOS 2.0 if I tried to install it? (I went to install it but it wanted an LG account first)

• Peter GrayPeter Gray Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@lament said:
    So I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at the 55EC9300 which uses webOS 2.0 (gorgeous, btw), and noticed that Plex was in the LG store. Is the deal that it won't work on webOS 2.0 if I tried to install it? (I went to install it but it wanted an LG account first)

That is correct. Even if you log into the LG app web store and "purchase" Plex, you will not be able to view or download it to a WebOS 2.0 device...yet.

edited September 2015

@lament said:

Are you sure it was Plex? not PLAYz Media? From what I can tell there still is no official Plex for WEB OS 2.0. And yes, you still need a LG account to be allowed to install any app, or even update the built in ones from what I can tell.

As far as LG's go. Before you do anything here are the steps I would take:
    1. get it on the internet
    2. update the operating system, general, and check for updates
    3. restore to system defaults, then recheck for os update (long story here)
    4. create LG account and update all existing apps and load whatever additional apps you need