Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Classic for NowTV

dotdaviddotdavid Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass
edited August 2015 in Plex Classic for Roku

Hi,

I've been using Plex 3.1.0 on my NowTV successfully for a while now. I understand the new fancy Plex 4.x isn't available for the NowTV, however I noticed that Plex Classic is now version 3.1.5 which is a version bump so attempted to sideload it onto my NowTV box from the ZIP file available at https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases/tag/v3.1.5

Unfortunately I get the following error when I try to do so;

Application Received: 647935 bytes stored.
    Install Failure: Compilation Failed.

I tried downloading the zip again in case it got corrupted somehow but it didn't work with the new zip either. The old Plex 3.1.0 sideloads fine still.

a) Are there any benefits of having Plex Classic 3.1.5 over Plex 3.1.0?
b) Is there a problem with the zip file uploaded to GitHub?

Thanks for your help!

• D
Tagged:

Best Answer

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,793 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

Sorry all! It looks like a recent change to Plex Classic was not supported on the nowTV due to it's firmware. We've updated the package, and the existing link should work. Please grab a new copy from the releases and it should work. Thanks @sa2000 for helping test on a nowTV box.

Answers

• getoffthepotgetoffthepot Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited August 2015

3.1.5 worked for me but I didn't like the layout so went back to rarflix

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,793 Plex Employee

@dotdavid said:
    Hi,

I've been using Plex 3.1.0 on my NowTV successfully for a while now. I understand the new fancy Plex 4.x isn't available for the NowTV, however I noticed that Plex Classic is now version 3.1.5 which is a version bump so attempted to sideload it onto my NowTV box from the ZIP file available at https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases/tag/v3.1.5

Unfortunately I get the following error when I try to do so;

Application Received: 647935 bytes stored.
        Install Failure: Compilation Failed.

I tried downloading the zip again in case it got corrupted somehow but it didn't work with the new zip either. The old Plex 3.1.0 sideloads fine still.

a) Are there any benefits of having Plex Classic 3.1.5 over Plex 3.1.0?
    b) Is there a problem with the zip file uploaded to GitHub?

Thanks for your help!

• D

Did you download the right zip? https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases, labeled PlexClassic.v3.1.5.zip, not the source zip.

• barney007barney007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 150 Plex Pass

thanks for the update ljunkie

• dotdaviddotdavid Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

@ljunkie said:
    Did you download the right zip? https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases, labeled PlexClassic.v3.1.5.zip, not the source zip.

Yes the PlexClassic.v3.1.5.zip file from https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases/download/v3.1.5/PlexClassic.v3.1.5.zip

• AscenityAscenity Members Posts: 1 ✭✭

I can also confirm, I'm getting the same problem as David when trying to upload the new zip.

Accepted Answer

Sorry all! It looks like a recent change to Plex Classic was not supported on the nowTV due to it's firmware. We've updated the package, and the existing link should work. Please grab a new copy from the releases and it should work. Thanks @sa2000 for helping test on a nowTV box.

Thanks ljunkie, appreciate all your work on the Roku and especially for supporting sideloading to NowTV which is a little non-standard!

• AuchAuch Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

@dotdavid said:
    I understand the new fancy Plex 4.x isn't available for the NowTV,

I've been trying to figure this out.
    Why is that? The new Plex is for newer Rokus only?

Rarflix still looks way prettier than classic 3.x Plex
    (I kinda just went ahead and got the latest classic hoping it would be the pretty, shining new one. And then rolledback to rarflix =) )

@Auch said:
    I've been trying to figure this out.
    Why is that? The new Plex is for newer Rokus only?

My understanding is the NowTV is based on the Roku LT which isn't officially supported in the new Plex channel as it's a little underpowered. Also as the new Plex channel isn't open source, and the source code would be included in a sideloadable zip file suitable for NowTV, it hasn't been made available at GitHub like Plex Classic (which is open source) has.

I am mainly using the official Plex Classic because of Plex Home to be honest, although Rarflix does have an alternative mulituser mode. I suspect Plex Classic and Rarflix will both slowly fade into brokenness and I'll be forced at some point to buy a couple of new proper Rokus, but I appreciate being able to use my NowTVs for a bit longer.

• reddwarfcrewreddwarfcrew Members, Plex Pass Posts: 606 Plex Pass

The first generation NowTV is RokuLT and therefore not up to the job from a hardward point of view.

The second generation NowTV (£15) is a ROKU3 and perfectly capable.

The decision is one purely of Plex choosing to not make the app available for the second generation NowTV boxes. Disappointing...... a sign of things to come.

• benarcher4benarcher4 Members Posts: 1 ✭✭

Just updated my NowTV 2g to 3.1.5 successfully.

Shame about 4.x....

• buzzmebuzzme Members, Plex Pass Posts: 46 Plex Pass

I was waiting to see what happened with the new NowTV box and sideloading the new Plex app before purchasing a lifetime pass. Simply won't be happening now, and I am looking to switch to Emby (aka MediaBrowser)

• AuchAuch Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

I thought NowTV was only receiving the stream, so didnt need much "power".
    Makes sense if the app is no longer open source though.

I suppose we will see how long classic and rarflix stay around, I was really only changing for the eye candy.
    Thanks for the replies

And thanks @ljunkie for letting us enjoy NowTV with Plex ^^

• thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Members Posts: 106 ✭✭

Is there anyone out there who has the know how to fork this and add USB playback in?
    There are stand alone USB players for the NowTV box. There's also a FilmOn plug in that also has USB playback.
    The new NowTV Smart box would probably be capable. Not sure about the older ones.

• rkcc4rkcc4 Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

So did they rewrite Plex 4.0 on a new platform?

Can't really "decide" not to be open source if any of their 4.0 platform is based on GNU software.

Anyway as an update V3.19 of classic plex works on Black and White NowTV boxes and is available here

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases

or direct download

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases/download/v3.1.9/PlexClassic.v3.1.9.zip

While Rarflix is here

https://archive.org/download/RARflix/RARflix.zip

If you need install instructions

https://danielgibbs.co.uk/2015/12/plex-on-nowtv/

I have a Roku3 and have loaded RarFlix as well as Plex Client as there are some things I just prefer on RarFlix.

Still to get used to Plex 4 all this image only thing does not work for me as I have too much content, so I need structure.

• tek-monkeytek-monkey Members, Plex Pass Posts: 195 Plex Pass

Looks like the cheap media streamer party is over, nowTV just announced they are removing developer mode. One of my boxes is already crippled, the others will no doubt follow soon :(

In the coming days, there will be a few changes to the NOW TV Box as part of our regular updates to improve the service.

The latest update has been designed to safeguard the device from piracy and illegal streaming of content; therefore it will disable the use of unofficial third party software or apps.

This will not affect your ability to watch NOW TV or download supported apps through the Channel Store.

NOW TV Team
    https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/Developer-mode-no-longer-working/m-p/420973/highlight/false#M8031

• jt999jt999 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

Does that mean ones with the app already sideloaded will stop working? If so that's rubbish :(

• tek-monkeytek-monkey Members, Plex Pass Posts: 195 Plex Pass

@jt999 said:
    Does that mean ones with the app already sideloaded will stop working? If so that's rubbish :(

Afraid so. I just came home one day last week to find plex gone, and the usual key presses to get dev mode no longer work. Dev mode is still active if you browse to it on a PC, but you get an auth key failure if you try to upload a new package.

• Mark SMark S Members Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

I cant confirm this but this is an alleged work around thats being circulated, whether it will last for long I really dont know.

• Mark SMark S Members Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

The video got taken down but here is this so called fix, personally I think its a hoax but here is the fix and use it at your own risk or peril or whatever you want to call it :)

Click the home button 5 times then fast forward 3 times then rewind twice this will take you to a secret screen, on the right hand side of your screen your need to click on cycle Channel store server.
    Keep pressing on on your remote you will see that it changes, you need to be on API QA ROKU.COM ITS THE 2ND FROM THE TOP when you see it on there click software update, once that is done click ok the box will reboot, thats it....