Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No version of Plex will install on my PC at all.

verywittynameverywittyname Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I tried Ask a Ninja last night and it was no help, and I'm getting desperate.

I'm a Lifetime Plex Pass user running Windows 10, been using Plex for well over a year now. Recently I got the option to upgrade to the newest Plex Pass server, but it didn't work, saying it couldn't remove the old Plex server. So, I uninstalled it. When it still didn't work, I deleted everything from the registry as instructed in the guide on the site. That was clearly a mistake; now I can't get any version to install at all. When I try to install any version of Plex, it comes up with the generic error that begins with "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable", and asks me to enter an alternate path to a folder containing pms.msi. I've actually got my friend to install Plex on his PC just so I could grab that file off him and try to point to it at this point. Still doesn't work.

Every time the issue has been resolved before it seems to be either random, or using Microsoft Fix It which doesn't work on Windows 10. I absolutely love Plex, but I don't want to have to format my hard drive just to use it!

Answers

• hbaldelomarhbaldelomar Posts: 2Members ✭✭

i have the same problem, i hope someone can help, i've been unable to use plex because of this.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 26,812Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Last person to have this type of problem fixed it by downloading the old version and installing it and then upgrading to the later version

See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/997473/#Comment_997473

• verywittynameverywittyname Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I tried to install every previous version of Plex, more recent ones would lead to the same error and when I got to older ones (approx November 2014) it's instead have another issue which I've seen on the forums, where it SAYS it's installed but does nothing.

For what it's worth, hbaldelomar, I eventually got this fixed by downgrading back to Windows 7, running the Microsoft Fix It Install/Uninstall Troubleshooter, installing Plex again (which worked this time) and then going back to 10. Incredibly cumbersome, and either Plex need to fix this issue from happening in the first place or Microsoft need to make Fix It available to 10 users. Either way, if you think that'd help, get on it because the ability to revert to the previous OS is lost after one month.

• hbaldelomarhbaldelomar Posts: 2Members ✭✭

thank you verywittyname i'll try this, i pretty much got no choice.

• verywittynameverywittyname Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Good luck. In future I'm not going to uninstall any version of Plex until the in-program update works.