Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What's the right/best way of adding music videos to my library?

irock1irock1 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just learned that Plex now has a totally improved support for music — both audio and video.

I tried to follow this guide: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/205568377-Adding-Local-Artist-and-Music-Videos, in order to add my own music videos, but I'm failing miserably.

First of all, I've added my music collection (audio) to Plex with no problem at all. I've always used iTunes and let it manage my music for me (the tracks are in Users/My User/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Artist/Album/Tracks), so I just added my iTunes folder (Add Library>Music) and everything worked like a charm. I have the correct metadata and everything.

When it comes to music videos though, I have a different system. I keep them in a separated folder (let's say Users/My User/Movies/Music Videos), where I have all the bands organized in subfolders (for instance Users/My User/Movies/Music Videos/Red Hot Chili Peppers). Also, I have some lonely videos that are just inside the main folder, with no specification at all. However, every single file follows the naming rule “Artist - Song”.

I did exactly what the aforementioned page says, from “Global Music Videos Folder” to the bottom, but that guide doesn't cover what kind of media should I add or how to do so. I tried with Music, but it doesn't work — the library looks empty. I tried too using Home Videos, but I don't get any metadata.

So the question is, how can I add those music videos to my library, using the “global music videos folder” system (i.e. not associating every music video to my already existing music library), and getting the right metadata?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• theonlycuretheonlycure Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass

Has never worked for me either. Ended up adding them to Movies and sees them fine just doesnt look right with movies and is annoying. But oddly enough pulls the right metadata for most videos which is strange that PMS doesnt see them for me any other way.

• irock1irock1 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

@theonlycure said:
    Has never worked for me either. Ended up adding them to Movies and sees them fine just doesnt look right with movies and is annoying. But oddly enough pulls the right metadata for most videos which is strange that PMS doesnt see them for me any other way.

It didn't work quite right for me. Most of my videos were considered as documentaries, concerts and even movies. I don't think this is the right approach. Surely there must be an “official” way of adding music videos...

• irock1irock1 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

@theonlycure I think I missed something. Should every file have the right metadata embedded in the file, rather than the artist and song info in the filename?

• Pil71Pil71 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 299 Plex Pass

Same problem here also

You don't add any new library at all. The music videos are integrated with your existing music library no matter what. The only choice you have is the "Inline" way which is where your MP4s (or whatever) music video files are in the same folders as your music library, or the other option where you have all your music videos in a separate folder and you use the "Global Music Videos Folder" to tell Plex where that folder is. Which ever option you choose, Plex merges the music videos with your music library.

I've only just learnt this, I was trying the same thing as you. Trying to set up now as above.

• josephzittjosephzitt Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

So when we have our music videos together in a directory tree by artist, separate from the directory tree that has the music, do we add that directory tree with the type "Music" even though it contains video?

• coz2001coz2001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 282 Plex Pass

@josephzitt said:
    So when we have our music videos together in a directory tree by artist, separate from the directory tree that has the music, do we add that directory tree with the type "Music" even though it contains video?

No, when you have followed this guide https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/205568377-Adding-Local-Artist-and-Music-Videos you need to refresh every artist that has a folder in the global music video directory to load the videos since they won't show until you refresh the artist,
    then if you prefer shuffling or playlist with your music videos you have to make a library using the same global music folder as source, I myself have made it as a Home videos library.

Interesting. The page at https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/205568377-Adding-Local-Artist-and-Music-Videos , as it loads for me, appears to say nothing whatsoever about refreshing the artist.

• sckylesssckyless Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

@theonlycure said:

The same here. Any workable solution on this?

• KabeyunKabeyun Members, Plex Pass Posts: 40 Plex Pass

@Pil71 said:
    You don't add any new library at all. The music videos are integrated with your existing music library no matter what. The only choice you have is the "Inline" way which is where your MP4s (or whatever) music video files are in the same folders as your music library, or the other option where you have all your music videos in a separate folder and you use the "Global Music Videos Folder" to tell Plex where that folder is. Which ever option you choose, Plex merges the music videos with your music library.

I've only just learnt this, I was trying the same thing as you. Trying to set up now as above.

Actually, and this may be semantics, but isn't the global music videos folder option you describe a new library? A folder exclusively containing music videos is precisely a new library...of music videos. This is exactly what the OP, others, and I want to do: Have a library of videos sitting alongside our libraries of Movies, TV Shows, etc. I haven't succeeded yet either, and it seems like it should be simple. On my NAS I have a folder called "Music Videos" in which live subfolders with artists' names, and the subfolders contain their videos. I set up a new library and called it "Music Videos" although Plex's instructions don't specify what kind of library to choose (I failed with Movies, Music, and TV Shows, btw). I set the agent to Personal Media Artists, aimed it at my Music Videos folder and... nothing. No content in the library. At Settings>Server>Agents>(Artists & Albums)>Personal Media Artists I made sure to check Local Media Assets, click the gear, and type in the path to my videos folder (Volumes/DiskStation/Music Videos) (failed with and without the underline _ symbol in the "Music Videos" name).

This is exactly how Plex asks us to set up a dedicated Music Videos folder (at the support link quoted above) so I'm pretty frustrated. Will a Plex Brain please help us out with this?

Thanks in advance.

The Plex instructions do not talk about creating a new library and I mean 'library' in a plex sense aka 'section'. The instructions offer two options - inline or global music videos folder. Both options refer to where your music video media is stored, that is all, nothing to do with how it's viewed in Plex. Viewing in plex is integrated in to your existing music library, again per instructions this viewing style is not a choice it's just how it is.

However nothing stopping you create a new plex library for music videos, using a movie or home movie style is the way to go, however there are many limitations - using movie based agents for metadata isn't great, no view by artist, album covers squeezed in to the shape of a dvd cover etc etc.

So you've tried creating a new movies library using the music videos folder and you saw a completely blank library ? What type of video format are these files? Done a full refresh I assume? I did this and it worked first time although the metadata and artwork was messy.

Kaneyun describes pretty exactly what I'm facing. What Pil71 suggests doesn't appear to work for what we're doing. Doing a Movies or Home Movies styles doesn't associate the artists' songs and videos.

From the documentation, I understand that we can have our Music library set up so that, when we select an artist, we see his videos listed along with the music, if we follow the steps on the page and, apparently, do at least one other thing that the documentation appears to be taking for granted by that is not evident to some of us. How can we get this to happen?

@Pil71 said:
    The Plex instructions do not talk about creating a new library and I mean 'library' in a plex sense aka 'section'. The instructions offer two options - inline or global music videos folder. Both options refer to where your music video media is stored, that is all, nothing to do with how it's viewed in Plex. Viewing in plex is integrated in to your existing music library, again per instructions this viewing style is not a choice it's just how it is.

However nothing stopping you create a new plex library for music videos, using a movie or home movie style is the way to go, however there are many limitations - using movie based agents for metadata isn't great, no view by artist, album covers squeezed in to the shape of a dvd cover etc etc.

So you've tried creating a new movies library using the music videos folder and you saw a completely blank library ? What type of video format are these files? Done a full refresh I assume? I did this and it worked first time although the metadata and artwork was messy.

So looking at this again: Are you suggesting that we don't create a new library for the music videos, even though they're not in the same directory tree as the music, but only indicate their presence by listing the location as the Global Music Videos Folder?

Also: when you say to "refresh" the artist, do you mean what the documentation calls "updating"? And is it possible to do it artist by artist rather than for the whole thing? I have over 1800 artists for my 60,000 music tracks, so building the library at first took an entire day. I only have videos for about one hundred of them, so going artist by artist might actually be faster, if it's possible.

• coz2001coz2001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 282 Plex Pass

Its totally up to you if want a library next to your Movies, Tv Shows etc. libraries, but this would come in handy if you like to shuffle or make playlists with music videos. Either way you only need one location for the files that will act like Global folder and/or a "normal" library.

You can refresh 1 artists at the time just hit the circled arrow on the left option panel, if it still don't work then its probably the path to the folder thats incorrect.

Josephzitt, yes I'm saying per the Plex instructions you don't create a new library. Also yes you HAVE to refresh artist by artist.

Per coz2001 comments you can create a new library if you like but its not what the plex instructions are talking about. Pros and cons with the new library approach.

edited September 2015

So.... my music videos are in G:__Video\Music Video .
    I have set the Local music video path to G:__Video\Music Video .
    The folder G:__Video\Music Video\Fiona Apple contains a single file, Fiona Apple - Criminal.mp4
    I have gone to the Fiona Apple page in my Plex (corresponding to F:\Music\Fiona Apple ) and pressed the Refresh button.
    I saw Plex messages indicating that it did update information for Fiona Apple.
    When I returned to the Fiona Apple page in my Music Library, the video was still not there.
    Why not?

(I see that the posting software ate some characters. There's a backslash after each instance of "G:".)

Add "-video" to the end of every filename in your music video folder. Then refresh artist again. Eg "Artist - Track -video.mp4"

edited September 2015

@Pil71 said:
    Add "-video" to the end of every filename in your music video folder. Then refresh artist again. Eg "Artist - Track -video.mp4"

OK, I just tried this, renaming, in my test case, "Fiona Apple - Criminal.mp4" to "Fiona Apple - Criminal-video.mp4" then refreshing the artist. It had no effect.

Can you confirm in the Agents settings you've selected "Artists" then for each sub section you have "Local Media Assets" ticked and moved to the top?

@Pil71 said:
    Can you confirm in the Agents settings you've selected "Artists" then for each sub section you have "Local Media Assets" ticked and moved to the top?

Yep, confirmed.