Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rasplex - Guide to Audio Settings [Updated]

NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,736 Plex Pass
edited June 2016 in Rasplex

To accompany the 0.7.1 release here is a pdf file which is a Guide to Audio Settings in Rasplex.

Now updated following the release of Rasplex 1.6.0

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."

Comments

• KoxiKoxi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 38 Plex Pass

Could you include some Hifiberry instructions aswell. Have a Hifiberry-digi but don't get a sound out. Is movie supported right now ?

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,736 Plex Pass

HiFiBerry is music only.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

• ledge74ledge74 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 268 Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

@NedtheNerd said:
    HiFiBerry is music only.

Regards

Hi Ned, any hints if hifiberry will be supported for movies in an upcoming release?

My Projects:

• Cast Rocket for Plex, a Chrome extension for sending online content to be played on your Plex client. 

Hopefully in next major release.

Regards

• ledge74ledge74 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 268 Plex Pass

Good to hear this Ned, I'll start looking for one of these then !

My Projects:

• Cast Rocket for Plex, a Chrome extension for sending online content to be played on your Plex client. 
  • VelociraptorVelociraptor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass
    edited October 2015

Hi Ned thanks for the PDF, but could you add a section regarding analogue audio output and how to boost the signal?

cu V

@Velociraptor said:
    Hi Ned thanks for the PDF, but could you add a section regarding analogue audio output and how to boost the signal?

cu V

Will have a look at that next week.

Regards

• cbjergcbjerg Members, Plex Pass Posts: 246 Plex Pass

My soundbar gives me the following output
    RasPlex:~ # tvservice -a
    PCM supported: Max channels: 2, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
    AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
    DTS supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 1536 kb/s.

Should i set it at 2.0 with dts and ac3 checked?

PMS on Ubuntu Server(primary)
    PMS on Dell Optiplex 3 GHz Xenon 16 128 GB SSD running Windows Server 2012 (backup/share)
    PMP and Kodi on Pi's as clients. Also using Xbox One, Android TV, AppleTV4, and iOS apps

Yes that sounds correct.

Regards

• CW560CW560 Members Posts: 1

After spending a couple of hours trying to get my audio working I found this, up and running in minutes after reading this, should be pinned at the top of the section.

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback, I will be updating this for the next release which has changes to audio settings.

Regards

• SebSonicSebSonic Members Posts: 1

Hi, i'm new to Rasplex and wonder if my Sound Settings are correct:

I have this configuration:
    RPi connected via HDMI to Amplifier, Amplifier connected via HDMI to TV
    and i get the following Information.

PCM supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
    DTS supported: Max channels: 7, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 1536 kb/s.
    DTS_HD supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.

According to the pdf i configured my Audio Settings as follows:
    Audio Output HDMI
    Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver Checked
    Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver Unchecked
    DTS capable receiver Unchecked
    Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Checked
    Audio output channels 5.1

With this config i should be able to play MKV's with DTS-HD and TrueHD Audio, correct? Is DTS with this configuration also decoded by Rasplex or will it passed through to the receiver if i Check DTS capable receiver?

edited February 2016

The settings you have are OK, however, if you're playing content with DTS-HD then should you set Audio output channels to 7.1, assuming you have the required number of speakers, if not why are you ripping your media with 7.1 DTS-HD audio, might just as well rip with DTS 5.1 core.

All types of DTS will be decoded to LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 dependent upon number of channels in the source with the settings you have. If you have Support 8 channel checked you should not enable DTS capable receiver.

Regards

• bigcanarybigcanary Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

I'd like to thank @NedtheNerd also for this and agree it should be at the top of the forum, saved me a lot of grief.

I have now updated this guide following the release of Rasplex 1.6.0, the document on the first post has been replaced.

Regards

• bigcanarybigcanary Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

Thanks for updating.

• nicknack35nicknack35 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass

Im not sure how to set my audio up properly my canton is stereo PCM but alot of my Films have HD audio i would rather keep that audio. I know it cannot pass through. But the volume sounds low. So i use volume amplification to turn the sound up i don't really want to transcode to AC3 it doesn't sound as good Ned could you help me with settings please how to set the audio for my Canton DM 55 soundbase please

• hannahbananahannahbanana Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

Total hifi-dunce question from me - apologies in advance! I have very basic setup - OpenPHT on a Mac mini, hdmi to tv. That's it. Since today's update, I can no longer control volume with my Mac remote. Previously that only happened with x265 content, now it's all content. Have played with the settings a little but to no avail, know next to nothing about audio. Previously just had output & passthrough devices set to default / hdmi, ac3 ticked, dts not ticked, I think. I've tried to follow your pdf, but I don't have the options recommended available to me? Specifically, i now have 4 audio output device options
    1. Default, HDMI
    2. HDMI, SONY TV
    3. BUILT-IN OUTPUT, INTERNAL SPEAKERS
    4. AirPlay, AirPlayNullEndpointAudioDataSource
    And for my passthrough device, I have only the first two.
    I've tried a few combinations of settings to no avail. Can anybody point me in the right direction, either for instructions that are relevant to my system, or the settings I should use? Not overly fussed about sound quality, I'd just like it to work the way it did without the need for the second remote control for volume!

• ValdhorValdhor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 502 Plex Pass

This is the Rasplex forum (Plex on a Raspberry Pi). You would have much better luck getting an answer on the OpenPHT or server forum.

• oisincarpenteroisincarpenter Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having trouble playing anything but stereo when playing movies only dolby digital movies seem to be play in 5.1
    I have ssh to the pi and this is what i got
    RasPlex:~ # tvservice -a
    PCM supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max samplesize 24 b its.

and my setting are

Audio output device HDMI
    Number of channels 5.1 (or 7.1 if you have sufficient speakers)
    Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Unchecked
    Enable passthrough Checked
    Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver Checked
    Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver Unchecked
    DTS capable receiver Unchecked

i see in the pdf Transcoding DTS to AC3 settings but i dont have this setting
    Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding

i have just installed rasplex and i have checked for up dates within it

I have a pi 3 and running 1.6.2.123-e23a7eef Architecture RPi2.arm

hope someone can help me if i cant get 5.1 in resplex the pi will have been a waste of money!
    Thanks for your help