If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Roku New GUI

NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 896Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 2015 in Roku

I know there are many post already for this topic BUT I had to login to the forum just to say.........
I would like to say thank you for updating the GUI(without me allowing). It's like the most unfriendly GUI I have seen in a while. Actually, I felt offended when I saw the new look. I was like who sick joke was this....
Okay.. I'm mad and acting like an ass and ranting and stuff, but crap, what a difference. And I would have just accepted the new look (like I have a choice) if it wasn't for the fact that all my home movies now display random screenshots instead of my custom .PNG files I spent so much time creating and adding to Plex.

Here's a question, Why the update? I mean, I use Windows 7 and have updates off for a reason. I do not want change. And if I do, I don't want MICROSOFT to dictate the changes WITHOUT me knowing and allowing. This also goes for all the programs I've installed. I do not let them update themselves without knowing what has changed and why the update. New looks is great I guess but the dev's never think about the one person that doesn't want it. Sure maybe in 20-30 years I will like it and most likely the new members will like it because that's all they have every seen.

I don't know I'm mad and I can only imagine what I would do if one day Windows did updates and my system rebooted and now it looks like Mac.
Crap, I guess my crying is over.. Thank for listening

Comments

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,424Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex made the decision, like many other companies have, that they do not want to support multiple versions any more than the have to. That combined with the same decision being made by Roku means that when Plex updates their channel everyone gets the update. Choice has been removed from the equation.

For good or bad that is the way it is and it probably will not change as any other decision would mean that there would be multiple official Plex channels.

Plex did give the disgruntled users the option of using the old channel installed as the "Plex Classic" private channel.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,998Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

ALL apps on the Roku update automatically, without your approval or notification, when they are published. That's how the Roku works.

If you don't like change, you can install the Plex Classic channel, as mentioned here (and many, many, many other threads): https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/179089/folder-view-official-answer-and-request-for-use-cases

Be aware that there will be no further development on that version, so there will be no bug fixes, and no access to new functionality. But no change.

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 896Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

So true, so true.. I understand both of you. I knew all of that going into owning a Roku and knew this would happen someday. I've already requested the classic version but sadly I have to wait (upto 24hrs) to install.. I'll probably use the classic all the way to the point where Plex web servers change address and the classic can no longer connect or there is some great fantastic super awesome feature I MUST have. We are always at the mercy of the dev's. Hell, I should be used of this by now after all.. I own a Android phone. LOL! You want free... You can have free, for a price.....

To be honest, I can't see anything else I want from Plex other then having the ability to create cfg files for media that supersedes any and all metadata collected from the internet (synopsis, coverart, etc...). I only say that because I once had to rebuild my tv show library and found out that one show was completely out of whack. Turns out that thetvdb re-listed the episodes as 2-3 separate 8/10 minutes episodes instead of the whole 30 minute block. Fun stuff...

• bjamminbjammin Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

@NewPlaza said:
    I've already requested the classic version but sadly I have to wait (upto 24hrs) to install.

If you go into Roku's system settings and check for updates, it will download any channels you have installed from the web site instantly.

edited September 2015

edit: double post

Well fantastic. I could of swore I saw something about waiting 24hrs.. Hmm. I must of been so mesmerized by the new look I planted words in front of my eyeballs.

edited September 2015

@NewPlaza said:
    Well fantastic. I could of swore I saw something about waiting 24hrs.. Hmm. I must of been so mesmerized by the new look I planted words in front of my eyeballs.

It does say it could take up to 24 hrs, because if you don't manually check for updates it happens every 24 hours automatically.

LOL! Reading goes a long way.

• hackztor@gmail.comhackztor@gmail.com Posts: 486Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is very true. 1 version makes support easier when you know everyone is on the same page. You give people choices and a few never want to change. In addition, security fixes can be applied where they would not if someone did not update. Does anyone know if Plex Classic has the https security fix?

@Elijah_Baley said:
    Plex made the decision, like many other companies have, that they do not want to support multiple versions any more than the have to. That combined with the same decision being made by Roku means that when Plex updates their channel everyone gets the update. Choice has been removed from the equation.

For good or bad that is the way it is and it probably will not change as any other decision would mean that there would be multiple official Plex channels.

Plex did give the disgruntled users the option of using the old channel installed as the "Plex Classic" private channel.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,139Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@hackztor@gmail.com said:
    Does anyone know if Plex Classic has the https security fix?

No security with Plex Classic.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,938Members ✭✭✭✭✭

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    No security with Plex Classic.

That must be why the new app never allows the roku to sleep. Marauding bands of security guards keeping roku up at night.

Roku usually checks for updates while it sleeps. I guess that's why all these folks not forcing an update never see a new channel appear.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• NaChlorideNaChloride Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

The new UI is wretched. As in whomever thought that was a passable should be fired and never let design anything ever again. I'll buy 2 more lifetime passes if you put it back!

I finally get to something, after some hellish few minutes, that vaguely resembles some search-like (alpha-sort at least) feature. But it's worthless! Observe the picture of the TV screen I took. I have UNWATCHED, at the top of the filter selected, and yet, look at the list. No Edge of Tomorrow and it's immediately to the left in graphical glory! WTFO!?

Why, WHY, was it so hard to keep a working alpha-sorted list and a catch-all search _AT_LEAST?

Is this just Roku or is it like this version of Plex look like this on every other set-top box? e.g. Amazon's Fire/stick. If the UI is actually usable, as it used to be, on any other device, I'm willing to beat the 3 Roku 3's I have with a hammer and go get whatever box presents a sane UX for the thing.

I cannot even convey how livid I am. Completely hateful and loathsome UI. Yeah yeah, I know of the 'classic' channel option. While it's something, it is eventually going to be broken. So I don't consider it anything more than an asteistic placation at best.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,139Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

You are looking in the collection label? Did you actually put Edge of Tomorrow into a collection?

• walterjnrwalterjnr Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@NaChloride said:

I finally get to something, after some hellish few minutes, that vaguely resembles some search-like (alpha-sort at least) feature. But it's worthless!

The alphabet search was all that was available when I first used Plex on the PS4. It worked flawlessly through 2000 movies. The old Plex for Roku design was actually a massive downgrade. Search takes forever. Give it a week and you'll love it.

• NaChlorideNaChloride Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@walterjnr said:
    The alphabet search was all that was available when I first used Plex on the PS4. It worked flawlessly through 2000 movies. The old Plex for Roku design was actually a massive downgrade. Search takes forever. Give it a week and you'll love it.

I appreciate your POV and I'm happy you learned to love it. For me, that UI sucks and doesn't deserve to be 'learned to love'. I have a lot of media and it's all just a jumbled mess. Terrible epic fail bad!

I went to a local Fred Meyer about 20ish minutes after posting and picked up an Amazon Fire TV stick. I got side-tracked after setting the thing up and didn't get to install Plex, but from the few minutes of googling around for what the UI looks like, it appears to be the same as the standard Android app. That being the case, I will definitely trash all of the Rokus and go all-in on the Fire TV/sticks. All I want is the posters in an alpha-sorted presentation and a catch-all generic search box. Easy, elegant, universal, and USABLE.

For my purposes, the only reason I have one of these devices is for Plex and Netflix. Since I am an Amazon prime subscriber, I can take advantage of that as well. But my primary interest is in Plex. W/out that, my TiVO/TV/Blu-ray could do the Netflix part at least and I wouldn't own a Roku or any of these things anyway. If Plex hates Roku/Roku users or Roku hates Plex users, and it was their call/pressure, then I just won't deal with the inferior UX of Plex/Roku.

@NaChloride said:
    I went to a local Fred Meyer about 20ish minutes after posting and picked up an Amazon Fire TV stick. I got side-tracked after setting the thing up and didn't get to install Plex, but from the few minutes of googling around for what the UI looks like, it appears to be the same as the standard Android app.

I'm not sure which you mean by standard Android app. The Android app actually has 3 different interfaces depending on the type of device. See this link for images of the 3, https://press.plex.tv/imagery/

• Touch screen devices use the Mobile layout (Android in the link)
    • The Fire TV devices use the Google TV interface (Amazon Fire TV)
    • Android TV certified devices use a layout different from anything else. (Android TV)

Note that the Fire TV layout is missing some features like playlist and a few others I cannot think of right now.

That being the case, I will definitely trash all of the Rokus and go all-in on the Fire TV/sticks. All I want is the posters in an alpha-sorted presentation and a catch-all generic search box. Easy, elegant, universal, and USABLE.

The Roku is a bit odd that it does not go straight alphabetical, but it is in order. This allows for the 2 rows.
    1 3 5 7
    2 4 6 8
    The team is looking for a ways to make navigation easier.

The search box has been added to the app. It is just waiting for Roku's approval before ti goes live. If you have the preview version installed, that has been updated so you can see what the Search will look like.

@NaChloride said:
    I finally get to something, after some hellish few minutes, that vaguely resembles some search-like (alpha-sort at least) feature. But it's worthless! Observe the picture of the TV screen I took. I have UNWATCHED, at the top of the filter selected, and yet, look at the list. No Edge of Tomorrow and it's immediately to the left in graphical glory! WTFO!?

Your photo doesn't make much sense. That list is the collection list for filtering. Do you put every movie into its own collection? That seems ... weird.

Why, WHY, was it so hard to keep a working alpha-sorted list and a catch-all search _AT_LEAST?

As mentioned, search has been added to the preview version and will be in the regular version as soon as it's approved. Yes it should have been in the initial release, but it wasn't so get over it.

The very thumbnail list you are looking at is alpha-sorted so not sure what your issue is there. You want a non-thumbnailed text view? Sure that would be a handy option but I don't remember the old app having that?

Is this just Roku or is it like this version of Plex look like this on every other set-top box? e.g. Amazon's Fire/stick. If the UI is actually usable, as it used to be, on any other device, I'm willing to beat the 3 Roku 3's I have with a hammer and go get whatever box presents a sane UX for the thing.

The new Roku is definitely more like the other Plex UI's I have used (Plex Web, Plex Home Theatre, Android & iOS). The old Roku app was basically a cookie cutter Roku UI originally developed by a fan, and was always the odd one out.

• walterjnrwalterjnr Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@NaChloride said:
    All I want is the posters in an alpha-sorted presentation and a catch-all generic search box. Easy, elegant, universal, and USABLE..

I'm not following now. The Plex app does do this. It actually does it quite well. All I can assume is that your media might not be named properly. Plex is not forgiving when it comes to this.