If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sync reporting "Storage limit reached," incapable of calculating remaining space

danemacmillandanemacmillan Posts: 405Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 2015 in iOS

It feels like a number of issues have suddenly converged into one cluster of dysfunction.

Problems:

Currently, (1) the "Sync started" and "Sync finished" notification incessantly alternates while the app is open. Further, (2) the sync screen shows "Updating information / Storage limit reached," when I know it hasn't. Finally, (3) clicking into the "Sync Settings" screen (it's red from the hamburger menu location) and observing the storage space "in use" vs "available" is impossible, because Plex is changing the values non-stop: it'll report "17.5 GB in use | 13.4 GB available," then jump to "30.4 in use | 580.6 MB available," then "18.3 GB in use | 12.6 GB available," then "30.3 in use | 619.5 MB available," etc, etc, etc, and while this is happening, that incessant alternating of sync statuses continues (1). It's driving me nuts. To top it off, (4) PMS CPU usage is very high, especially when opening the iOS app and the sync fiasco starts its dance. This has been non-stop for at least three hours.

The steps (to possible reproduce):

I know for a fact that I had used just over 13 GB of sync storage (music only), leaving about 12 GB free. I initially had allocated 25 GB, but after trying to synchronize 10 unwatched episodes from a season of TV, I realized that the allocation would not be enough and it was also really slow, so I bumped it up to 30.9 GB (it's impossible to accurately select flat denominations with that slider). I figured that would allow the sync to finish up, but it just pretty much hung there, so I deleted the TV sync job before it finished, which had reached about 58% (it was close to %80 at one point but dropped back down). I figured I could start clean and try to sync that TV show again. Instead, three hours later and nothing has changed--except that all of the problems described above have yet to cease. The episodes are nowhere to be found in sync, which is good, and yet I've got no space left, or maybe I do, but Plex is certainly unable to decide, given that it jumps around on the Sync Settings screen. To be clear, Plex should be reporting that I have used approximately 14 GB and have about 16 GB available.

Extra:

iOS' settings show that only 13.1 GB is being used by Plex. In addition, I can still actually synchronize more content. I added one more artist album while all this was happening and it's fine, despite "Storage limit reached." Nevertheless, all the problems described continue during and after syncing actual content.

I've described problem 1 in two other threads in more detail, because it presents other problems, so I won't elaborate any more on that.

I spent two days synchronizing 13 GB of music to the app--because for some reason I have to keep the damn thing active and in the foreground in order for anything to sync--and now it's mostly unusable and PMS is thrashing my server, even after a cold reboot.

Attached are screenshots illustrating this behaviour, and I've even got a video should a dev want to see. Verbose logs were also emailed, and they're attached here as well. Also, notice how the "Sync start" / "Sync finished" notifications are present in nearly all of the screenshots, because they never stop.

Screenshots:

Going to the sync screen:

Syncing despite no space left, apparently:

On the "Sync Settings" screen. Plex unable to calculate used vs available storage:

iOS reporting used space by Plex:

Verbose logs are attached

Edit (specs at time of report):
Server:
▪ PMS 0.9.12.12.1459-49fe448 / Linux 3.16.0-48-generic (#64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP) / PC / i7-M640@2.80GHz * 8 / 8GB / 15TB storage
Clients:
▪ PHT 1.4.1.469-47a90f01 / OS X 10.10.5 (14F27) / MBP 15" Retina (late 2014) / i7-4850HQ@2.30GHz * 8 / 16 GB / 512GB SSD
▪ PHT 1.4.1.469-47a90f01 / OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)/ MBA 13" (early 2015)
▪ Plex for iOS 4.0.2.3571-bb1f3c5 / iOS 9.0 / iPhone 6 Plus
▪ Plex for Android 4.9.0.408 / Android 4.4.4 / Samsung SM-A300FU

image Lifetime
Servers:
PMS 1.11.0 / Linux 3.16.0-48-generic (#64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP) / PC / i7-M640@2.80GHz * 8 / 8GB
Plex Cloud PMS 1.9.1.260 / GDrive / Unlimited storage
Clients:
Plex 1.2 for AppleTV Infuse 5.6 for AppleTV / tvOS 11.2 / 32GB
Plex for iOS 4.22 / iOS 11.2 / iPhone 6+ / 64GB
PMP 3.3.0 / MacOS 10.13.2 / MBP 15" Retina (late 2014) / i7-4850HQ@2.30GHz * 8 / 16 GB / 512GB SSD
Others / Android, Samsung 4K TV, PS4
Network:
227Mbps down / 35Mbps up
Wireless AC5300

*Signature last updated: Jan-01-2018

Tagged:

Comments

• vacabocavacaboca Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm seeing the same issues - the completeness of your post shames me :) Overall, I'm finding the "new" sync to be a big improvement (128GB iPad, lots of travel, lots of syncing), but definitely a few polish and completeness issues came with the change. My only significant complaint is lack of manual-only control of syncing (ref https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1021850/#Comment_1021850 ).

• ThunderSpookThunderSpook Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had this issue massively. Would also be useful to know how much each item is using.

Last night I was told I had used up all 46Gb of space, yet settings said I still had 13Gb free.

Have wiped and started again yet again. Only going to sync one item at a time now. I think what is happening is it is reserving space for things it hasn't fully copied, but because it is jumping all over the place and not processing one item at a time it gets its knickers properly twisted.

• baberimbaberim Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

Having the same exact issue all around. It's driving me crazy

Here is a video showing this in action on my ipad: http://d.pr/v/aTGh (worth noting that nothing was syncing at the time, which makes this even more weird)

• ck620ck620 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having similar issues as well. My iPad is showing "Syncing 3 items" when it's actually still converting only 1 more movie file, but it's in "All Movies" a Folder that I created and a Playlist. but it's also showing Total 91% Synced and "Storage Limit Reached." But in my "Sync Settings" it says 8.9 GB in use | 4.3 GB available | and Storage Limit: No Limit. What the heck is this?

• ck620ck620 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

@ck620 said:

Now my iPad is also doing this crazy "Sync started" "Sync finished" incessantly too... WTF?

@danemacmillan said:
    It feels like a number of issues have suddenly converged into one cluster of dysfunction.

Problems:

Currently, (1) the "Sync started" and "Sync finished" notification incessantly alternates while the app is open. Further, (2) the sync screen shows "Updating information / Storage limit reached," when I know it hasn't. Finally, (3) clicking into the "Sync Settings" screen (it's red from the hamburger menu location) and observing the storage space "in use" vs "available" is impossible, because Plex is changing the values non-stop: it'll report "17.5 GB in use | 13.4 GB available," then jump to "30.4 in use | 580.6 MB available," then "18.3 GB in use | 12.6 GB available," then "30.3 in use | 619.5 MB available," etc, etc, etc, and while this is happening, that incessant alternating of sync statuses continues (1). It's driving me nuts. To top it off, PMS CPU usage is very high, especially when opening the iOS app and the sync fiasco starts its dance. This has been non-stop for at least three hours.

• danemacmillandanemacmillan Posts: 405Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

@baberim That video illustrates exactly what I'm experiencing as well. It's maddening.

I wouldn't be surprised if you also told me that the Plex Media Server process (if observed in some activity monitor, top, htop, task manager, etc) is also running a very high CPU ever since starting a sync operation, which is point #4 in my original post. I'd be curious to know if you're also noticing this. That issue (4) started getting some traction in a separate discussion as well: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/182532/bug-latest-plex-server-0-9-12-12-uses-a-lot-of-cpu. For example, I initiated a sync operation this afternoon around one, and it's now seven, but one of the cores on my server has yet to free up: it's still at 100% according to htop. I know for a fact that a service plexmediaserver restart will automatically free up the usage and quiet the fan on my server. That is true at least until I initiate another sync operation. Just did it. It's quiet again.

image Lifetime
    Servers:
    PMS 1.11.0 / Linux 3.16.0-48-generic (#64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP) / PC / i7-M640@2.80GHz * 8 / 8GB
    Clients:
    PMP 3.3.0 / MacOS 10.13.2 / MBP 15" Retina (late 2014) / i7-4850HQ@2.30GHz * 8 / 16 GB / 512GB SSD
    Network:
    227Mbps down / 35Mbps up
    Wireless AC5300

If it's any help to the devs--and I'm just kicking off an idea here: could it be possible that Plex allowed me to allocate more sync storage than was actually available on the device, which then made it difficult for Plex to calculate allocated vs used storage?

image Lifetime
    Servers:
    Clients:
    Network:
    227Mbps down / 35Mbps up
    Wireless AC5300

• Technomancer01Technomancer01 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had this same issue. I have also noticed that the current plex server (linux) is very crashy (I have to restart the service every couple of days).

It could be related if it's leaving the sync in an unknown state and there aren't enough checks in place to clean up stale entries left from a botched sync.

• ktdktd Posts: 325Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

Same issue here. It's getting really frustrating how bad 4.x still works.
    The iOS app is a paid app so I expect better performance. Please, re-release the old app until you fix all issues.
    I use Plex on my iPad a lot in my work trips and since 4.0 Plex is a disappointment. :(

• jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the reports. This issue has been fixed in the next update, which is waiting for review by Apple.

Awesome. I was expecting that a lot more traffic would have to pass through a discussion before any progress could be made. Thanks for the info, @jam

image Lifetime
    Servers:
    Clients:
    Network:
    227Mbps down / 35Mbps up
    Wireless AC5300

• ryanmacryanmac Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, yes, yes. I'm seeing the same. I've also deleted the iOS app and removed my device from the server to reset any bad settings. I have 50+ GB free and sync will "fill" all of it with only a few tv shows and a single movie. Previously I've had 10 shows and at least 10 movies without problems. Looking forward to a fix.

• gerardmansvelder@gmail.comgerardmansvelder@gmail.com Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am seeing similar behavior.
    It appears that once the threshold has been reached the Plex App is no longer able to recover from this condition.
    Deleting content on the iPad from within the plex app doesn't solve the issue.

• gerardmansvelder@gmail.comgerardmansvelder@gmail.com Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

sweet:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/64568/plex-for-ios#latest

Version 4.0.3

NEW:

Added TV Out support.

FIXES:
    Resolved an issue causing free space calculations to be incorrect during syncing..

• julieknitsjulieknits Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nope, still not fixed. I installed 4.0.3 last night. I synced about 15 tv episodes. All seemed to go well -- completed syncing and showed my remaining 25Gb of space. This morning however, I launched Plex to see if it still functioned ok, and it's back to Storage Limit reached. I have loads of space, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

These days I've switched over to Infuse for watching video on my iOS devices. I do still have Plex Media Server runner so I can use it on my Tivos. I also launch iOS Plex when I want to remotely delete a tv file. This whole Plex 4 thing has been rather discouraging.

• doubter13doubter13 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

same herem using 4.03 and the sync issues are still here...
    well, "still".....not really... the problem came with 4.03 and i am currently traveling so i can't reinstall, as i can not upload all my shows again :-(

edit:
    problem seems to be only on ipad2
    ipad mini is working

- Plex 0.9.12.8 on Qnap 670 Ultimate 

PlexPass Lifetime

• kclimiekclimie Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

This just started for me on 4.03 on an iPad Air running 9.0.1. Server is Linux version 0.9.12.13.1464

• aberkeleyaberkeley Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

happening for me too Ipad 4.0.3 and windows server 0.9.12.13

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I've just noticed something odd about the sync storage calculations:

On iOS I've allocated a total of 25.0 GB. Of that, 8.4 GB is apparently in use, with 13.1 GB still available. That alone is inaccurate.

8.4 + 13.1 = 21.5

Where did the other storage go?

Not only that, but when I look at the iOS device from the Web UI's Devices panel, it says there are 759 items synced, which I assume is correct, but it states that those 759 items occupy a total of 16.7 GB. I'm not really sure which is more accurate. Perhaps they're both wrong. Maybe I have to wipe all my synced content again since there's been a new update?

Compare these screenshots:

image Lifetime
    Servers:
    Clients:
    Network:
    227Mbps down / 35Mbps up
    Wireless AC5300

edited September 2015

Okay, I've just made another observation. Have a look at this screenshot.

I'm leaning more towards the 16.7 GB of sync storage used as reported by the Web UI as more accurate.

If anything, the 8.4 GB is more accurately the amount of storage still available, if accepting the Web UI as accurate. I wonder why Plex would show 13.1 GB available, which is exactly what iOS reports, even though Plex should be reporting what's available out of the 25 GB allocated to it--not what the entire device still has available.

I'm just putting these thoughts out here in case they trigger something for one of the developers. @jam

image Lifetime
    Servers:
    Clients:
    Network:
    227Mbps down / 35Mbps up
    Wireless AC5300