Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Play Locally on Server

famadorianfamadorian Members, Plex Pass Posts: 65 Plex Pass

I'm trying to figure out if Plex can play media files locally,on the server itself, using its sound card?

..and then use the plex app as a remote control.

I'm coming from kodi and I'm looking to convert it to a plex server, but this server is connected via its sound card to the rest of the house speakers directly, so I'm not looking to stream media to different devices.

Can Plex be used in this way at all?

Answers

• IsmeldaIsmelda Plex Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja
    edited September 2015

It all depends on what you call the server. If it's a windows, apple or linux computer you can use PHT (Plex Home Theatre) to play your media on your computer directly so yes.

I love Plex!
    Don't forget to check the support page for all you basic needs like the correct naming of your files for Plex to more specific topics like how to get the extras and trailers to work and Where are the logs?

• famadorianfamadorian Members, Plex Pass Posts: 65 Plex Pass

I think we're misunderstanding eachother.

If you install PHT on a server with a soundcard in the basement. How do you control this server? Do you install a Plex remote on a laptop?

I know you can control it with the web interface, but can you use a PLEX remote?

I have a server in the basement with a soundcard that is connected to all speakers and TVs' in the house.

• starbetrayerstarbetrayer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,308 Plex Pass

@famadorian said:
    I think we're misunderstanding eachother.

If you install PHT on a server with a soundcard in the basement. How do you control this server? Do you install a Plex remote on a laptop?

I know you can control it with the web interface, but can you use a PLEX remote?

I have a server in the basement with a soundcard that is connected to all speakers and TVs' in the house.

you can install PMS and PHT on the same machine.
    I control the PHT via keyboard with a logitech K400, much cheaper than a remote.

I'm being misunderstood again.

I have a server in another room that I want to play audio on, controlling it via a remote.

I don't want to install PHT on a headless server that is not at the location I'm at.

I've figured out that Plex doesn't allow to play locally, it only streams to devices.

So, basically, what I need is a stream client installed on the server. That way I can direct Plex to stream to this server, which is installed locally. It will then play on the soundcard of the server.

You understand now?

Do we have such a simple command line stream client?

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,855 Plex Ninja

There is no command line client.
    But you can control PHT over the network from many other plex clients. This feature is called Plex Companion.
    The idea @Ismelda had, is based on this fact. Even if you don't have a monitor on your server, as long as you can run PHT on it, you can "fling" media onto it, which it then plays back. Flinging video wouldn't make much sense, but music would work.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/sections/200276908-Plex-Companion

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

@OttoKerner said:
    There is no command line client.
    But you can control PHT over the network from many other plex clients. This feature is called Plex Companion.

Right, I actually did try this, but it consumed too much resources. I also run virtualbox on this computer for an Aastra telephone system. Therefor, I was looking for something more lightweight.

Is it not possible for Plex to send audio to pulseaudio or mpd or something similar?

Also, why can't these Companions control Plex directly? What's the point of controlling another user interface if you can control the Plex server directly?

@famadorian said:
    Also, why can't these Companions control Plex directly? What's the point of controlling another user interface if you can control the Plex server directly?

Ok, right, because Plex cannot play audio out on the soundcard, it can only stream data. So, that leads me back again to needing a lightweight client. PHT cannot run in sort of like a headless mode?

edited September 2015

PHT is a stripped down and modified XBMC. I don't know if that has a headless mode.

I'm a bit confused;) Sorry.

Can't Plex act as a dlna client?

If I have a dlna server installed anywhere in the network, isn't this dlna mediarenderer supposed to show up in Plex web interface when I play music?

edited September 2015

The only DLNA client in the Plex ecosystem is Plex Home Theater. And that is only because of its XBMC genes.
    And no, Plex doesn't support playing to DLNA renderers. Only to genuine Plex clients.
    I am told, there are Android or iOS apps that are able to cast content from DLNA servers (as Plex Server is) to DLNA renderers. Maybe such an app can help you.

Well, that wouldn't help me if they're Android/IOS apps, as I'm running the server on GNU/Linux

I am talking about the "remote control" you are after. This would run on a phone or tablet.
    The DLNA renderer, which ever you choose, will of course run on your server.

Right, that's a workaround;), but I was thinking of using the Plex Web interface, because it allows easily to edit metadata and building playlists. Maybe the other interfaces do a good job here aswell. I'll check it out, cause it seems like it's the only option.

It just seems strange to me; I've been running Kodi on this box for a while and it can play out on the local sound card without problem. It seems like they didn't think about this user scenario.

The server in the basement is connected to Bang & Olufsen link system, so everything video/audio on the server can be routed to any stereo or tv system in the house using the Beolink system. It's old school, but it was pretty George McFly for many years.

Maybe you should continue to run Kodi, only with the PleXBMC addon installed into it.
    http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:PleXBMC

Well, the problems I've been having with Kodi is lack of a proper user interface, pertaining to play repeat and playlists. It's just too retarded that I've had enough.

..and editing metadata.

I found the Plex web interface and it really does everything needed right now, which is repeat status, editing metadata and editing playlists.

I'll probably find some things lacking soon, but it does what I'll immediately need.

I see that if I run PHT on the server and use the web interface, the PHT takes quite a toll on the CPU. Why is this? It's like over 100% just playing a song.

I don't see any visualization, so it seems quite cpu hungry.

I would also need to make an init script, so that this PHT starts on bootup, in addition to the Plex server itself.

I haven't tried in a while, but PlexBMC will turn Kodi into a receiver for Plex Companion. So you don't need to use the interface of Kodi, just its ability to use your server's sound interface.
    You send your music to it from either Plex Web or the aforementioned mobile apps.

ok, wow, that seems like a solution; I'll try immediately and report back. Thanks.