Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on Xbox One problems when viewing subtitles

yvescorvilainyvescorvilain Posts: 2Members Plex Pass

Hey,

Whenever i want to watch with subtitles it begins to lag every 10s
I am using a Synology NAS DS214Play, i know the problem is that my NAS is full transcoding because of the subtitles.

Is there anything i can do to smooth up the play? so i can watch with subs!
Is it depending on the subtitle file?

Best Answer

Answers

• yvescorvilainyvescorvilain Posts: 2Members Plex Pass

this i was afraid of, thanks for the quick response!

• dLindendLinden Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

the xbox one have a subtitles settings, that you can change size and color ... why Plex do just use it?> @moussa.uk said:

Unfortunately there is no native sub support in the Xbox One app yet, so enabling any type of subtitle will require a full transcode. You're only recourse at the moment to avoid a transcode is to 'pre-burn' the subtitles into the video stream before playing it on your Xbox One.

the xbox one have a subtitles settings, that you can change size and color ... why Plex do just use it?

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,338Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@dLinden you know for a fact this is available via the api? I know the bluray player has this functionality, but I don't believe the Xbox One dlna app even has subtitles available which means it likely isn't available outside of the bluray app (which includes a few other features as well).

• dLindendLinden Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@adamskoog said:
    dLinden you know for a fact this is available via the api? I know the bluray player has this functionality, but I don't believe the Xbox One dlna app even has subtitles available which means it likely isn't available outside of the bluray app (which includes a few other features as well).

Hi, if you go to configuration(xbox one, not plex), subtitles, there you can change .. But dnt work on plex
    if they could use, would be nice.

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,338Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If I'm not mistaken, it won't do anything in the DLNA app as well. That is for the bluray player. Microsoft doesn't have those apis available outside of bluray (unless its changed recently, honestly haven't kept up with it lately).

• niallobrniallobr Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2015

Potentially signs of some progress on this front in the latest Plex for iOS changelog:

Version 4.0.9
    NEW:
    Many types of subtitles are now converted into a format that can be displayed by the app instead of burning them into the video stream, which can greatly improve server performance. This feature requires Plex Media Server 0.9.14.5 or above (currently in Plex Pass preview).

PMS: Nvidia SHIELD TV / Synology DS1513+

Client: Shield TV / Xbox One S

Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite

• obveronobveron Posts: 27Members ✭✭

Not sure how iOS relates to Xbone. Their are no subtitle support over DLNA on xbox, so there are no compatible formats to which to convert. Suggest anyone that wants subtile support on Xbone start here: https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps/suggestions/6345301-support-subtitles-in-xbox-one-media-player

Also this:
    https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps/suggestions/6377929-media-player-dts-audio

• stingerhustingerhu Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Guys,

sorry for my Wall of text but... this is ridiculous. I tried everything - e-v-e-r-y-thing to force my Xbox App to show the external subtitles during videos (i mean .srt -s, not embedded MKV's). But this app simply dont wanna show it. I did everything well what I read in plex support guide to able to view the subs.

I run Plex Media server on my synology DS215j NAS (Plex App version is the latest on NAS: 0.9.12.19.1537-f38ac80). App is great anyway, realize the correct format and the language of the subtitle, media server shows at the movies detailed page that I have a correct language format of subtitle and based on the config, media server is actually selecting my preferred one (yes, I tried to force it manually to my choosen one, result is the same). I'm using locally copied .srt-s with the naming format what Plex guide suggests next to the video file on my NAS - but I tried to use it equally with the file name. Not worked.

If I leave the subtitle section as it is (to use the subtitle), Plex app on Xbox one simply shows an error that my media server is unavailable and can't connect to the NAS. (I can browse the library, anyway and play the movies which doesn't have external .srt). IF I disable the subtitle on my plex media server on the specified movie, voila Plex app immediately starts to play the video.

Configs at the media server:
    Server/Agents/ >> Local Media asset is the top 1 at each section and sub-sections (Movies,TV-shows, etc)
    Transcoder (i didn't changed it 'cause my NAS is on my LAN where XO is located)
    Languages: Automatically select (checked and unchecked, both I tried)
    Languages> Prefer audio tracks in: Hungarian
    Languages> Subtitle mode> Shown with foreign audio (If I select Always enabled, mean, forcing, doesn't change anything, not working)
    Languages> Prefer subtitle mode> Prefer Hungarian.

For example, I'm seeing a Hungarian sub srt option on Love Actually (ya'know it's christmas time). System automatically detect it, and enabled it. If I leave as it is, XO app drops me an error, that can't connect to nas.
    If I'm disabling subtitle on the video detail to "none", XO App play the video.

What I'm doing wrong, or the app is simply crappy ? Other devices are playing the subs well, just XO won't.

Thanks!

• niallobrniallobr Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2015

@obveron said:
    Not sure how iOS relates to Xbone. Their are no subtitle support over DLNA on xbox, so there are no compatible formats to which to convert. Suggest anyone that wants subtile support on Xbone start here: https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps/suggestions/6345301-support-subtitles-in-xbox-one-media-player

Also this:
    https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps/suggestions/6377929-media-player-dts-audio

Well, what I mean is the devs have said they are working on a subtitle solution for the Xbox app and the new feature on iOS looks like a big step forward in that area, so I just put two and two together and thought maybe this could be ported to the other platforms (depending on how it works of course). I'd assume they're also talking to Microsoft about any support they might need from their end to make it happen.

The devs also mentioned their main goal is for the app to match the features of other Plex apps before working on anything else I believe, so this should be on the list.

PMS: Nvidia SHIELD TV / Synology DS1513+

Client: Shield TV / Xbox One S

Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,336Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@stingerhu Your NAS is not powerful enough to transcode video, that's what the issue is. Enabling any type of subtitles will force a video transcode, unless the client supports 'soft' subtitles which do not require a transcode. The Xbox One app does not yet support soft subtitles, but we're working on support for it.

• stingerhustingerhu Posts: 3Members ✭✭

@moussa.uk said:
    @stingerhu Your NAS is not powerful enough to transcode video, that's what the issue is. Enabling any type of subtitles will force a video transcode, unless the client supports 'soft' subtitles which do not require a transcode. The Xbox One app does not yet support soft subtitles, but we're working on support for it.

Thanks for the proper answer for my question, I really appreiate it. I'm sure that there's a workaround or permanent solution to support external srt's from a different source (a separated .srt file) at client (I mean XO app) side. In this case, NAS won't need to be a NASA.powered workstation.

• bPlaTyPuSbPlaTyPuS Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi everyone!

Any news on this topic? Microsoft says it's now supported (not sure that all formats are supported) so maybe Plex team can already do something with this?

Thanks.

• huangda1982huangda1982 Posts: 1Members

Any news on this topic?

• mestreotakumestreotaku Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@Moussa said:

My NAS is not powerfull enough to encode subs and play the file on PLEX app for Xbox One, but the same NAS can play any same video file WITH subs via new VLC app. I don't know how things work, but I wonder if PLEX support can implement something like VLC is using now. The playback is smooth, without any transcoding and WITH subs without any lag.

• obveronobveron Posts: 27Members ✭✭

The VLC UWP app renders soft subs natively. If/when Plex on Xbox One moves to UWP we'll have subs and DTS decoding natively, so your NAS will not need to transcode. Unfortunately, when Plex moves to UWP we'll lose the Snap feature.

• mal68mal68 Posts: 117Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@obveron said:
    The VLC UWP app renders soft subs natively. If/when Plex on Xbox One moves to UWP we'll have subs and DTS decoding natively, so your NAS will not need to transcode. Unfortunately, when Plex moves to UWP we'll lose the Snap feature.

I'm sure others will be upset about the snap, but I am so keen for the other 2 features. Would be a big win if it pans out that way

• MarcB91MarcB91 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I restart this thread because I'm facing the same issue with a WD MyCloud Pro 4100 and my Xbox One S.
    Plex is using the hardware acceleration and when I Watch a 1080p on my Xbox, the CPU usage is less than 15%.

BUT, as soon as I enable the subtitles, the movies stops every 5 secondes. CPU usage of the NAS is only 20%.
    Of course, I've set up my Plex Server according to the information I found in the Plex support pages and in forum.

So, I suspect the issue is not related to the power of the NAS but more on a problem in the Plex application in XBox One.

I would like to know if you have found Something relevant about this issue that can help.

• LeelaWangLeelaWang Posts: 1Members

well this thread helped me alot to solve the same problem, thanks again guys

proud member of getintopc

There’s no point wasting all your energy thinking about things that you can’t change. Instead, have a think about some of the things that are in your power to control and see what you can do about those. getintopc

• MarcB91MarcB91 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@LeelaWang: I'll be happy to know what solution you used. I've not found a solution so far.