If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on Xbox One problems when viewing subtitles

2»

Answers

• MarcB91MarcB91 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Ok I tried to use the subtitles from opensubtitles but they are always out of sync with the movie... It's a shame to not have movies and subtitles correctly on Xbox One with Plex in 2017 !!!

• MarcB91MarcB91 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

So, the solution for me was to create my own subtitles from the subtitles tracks of my MKV files.

I used MKVCleaver to extract the French subtitles tracks from the MKV and then, I used Subtitle Edit to create the SRT file associated to the movies.
    It is very time consuming, but it works fine. All subtitles are synchronized and I can watch all my 1080p movies with subtitles on my Xbox One S.

• bPlaTyPuSbPlaTyPuS Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

thx for this information. Are you able to play x265 movies? Also with subtitles?

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 5,050Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@bPlaTyPuS said:
    Hi,

thx for this information. Are you able to play x265 movies? Also with subtitles?

No. The Xbox One cannot use sidecar subtitles the subtitles will get burned into the video stream. Since HEVC is not a part of the HLS standard the video will currently need to transcode to H264. And to make it worse with the issue with Microsoft's h264 decoder the video will need to transcode down to 1080p if it was 4K as well.

• medeirosdmedeirosd Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just tried the new Xbox One Plex App and am able to play subtitles without transcoding! H264 encoded video in MKV containers can play internal and external SRT subtitles without transcoding. H264 in MP4 containers can play external SRT subtitles without transcoding (I don't have an MP4 with an internal SRT subtitle to test). H265 video still requires transcoding to play subtitles. I also tested MKV files with internal VOBSUB and ASS subtitles and both required transcoding.

According to the latest Plex newsletter the update will roll out in the next few days or you can download it from the Microsoft store which is what I did. I ended up with the old and the new Plex Apps on my Xbox One which was a little confusing so I removed the original app.

@medeirosd said:
    H265 video still requires transcoding to play subtitles.

This is not an expected behavior. SRT's should direct play even with HEVC as the SRT support is not tied to specific codecs. Is this by any chance another format of subtitle or is there something else triggering a transcode? (Such as audio)

I also tested MKV files with internal VOBSUB and ASS subtitles and both required transcoding.

This is expected. Video subs are not a supported sidecar format for the media player framework so they need to be burned in.

The HEVC file I tested is a 1080P, 10-Bit Depth video file with 5.1 channel AAC audio in an MKV container. The subtitle is an external SRT file. When I play the video without the subtitle the now playing status on my Plex Server shows up as Direct Play. When I turn on the SRT subtitle the status changes to "Transcoding HEVC to H264" for the video and Direct Stream for the audio and my CPU process spikes.

• jzm0066jzm0066 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Can we get a list of supported(non-transcode) subtitle formats? Is it just srt? Shouldn't ASS work since its text based? Also how does vlc get away with playing picture based formats(pgs, vobsub) as well as 10-bit h264 content on xbox?

@jzm0066 said:
    Can we get a list of supported(non-transcode) subtitle formats? Is it just srt? Shouldn't ASS work since its text based?

This is where it gets tricky. According to Microsoft subtitle support has been implemented. According to their media player FAQ there is no subtitle support. From testing though, only text based subtitles are supported for non-transcoding.

Also how does vlc get away with playing picture based formats(pgs, vobsub) as well as 10-bit h264 content on xbox?

VLC uses software decoding that adds additional format support that the native device does not have. In short VLC uses it's own media player framework while the Plex App uses the media player framework on the device.

@medeirosd said:
    The HEVC file I tested is a 1080P, 10-Bit Depth video file with 5.1 channel AAC audio in an MKV container. The subtitle is an external SRT file. When I play the video without the subtitle the now playing status on my Plex Server shows up as Direct Play. When I turn on the SRT subtitle the status changes to "Transcoding HEVC to H264" for the video and Direct Stream for the audio and my CPU process spikes.

Are you able to provide the Plex Media Server.log file when you play this? An SRT should not be transcoded and we would need some information to forward onto the developers to look into this. But also just to verify the settings in the app are set to automatic and not burn in?

I don't normally play HEVC files and only have one HEVC file that I used for testing. So I suggest waiting to see if anyone else has this issue before reporting it to the developers.

@talhazafar431@outlook.com said:
    Any news on this topic? Microsoft says it's now supported (not sure that all formats are supported) so maybe Plex team can already do something with this?

Soft subtitle support of text based subtitles was added in October of 2017.

• thanks for sharing with us its helped us too much
    Get into pc

2»