Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Blur - another skin in progress

jaapsjaaps Members, Plex Pass Posts: 187 Plex Pass
edited December 2010 in Blur
*updated first post*
blurlogosmall.png
I tried many skins for Plex but none suited my taste. Probably because most skins use fanart, which I don't like, and have busy views.
I like a more clean style. While refocus and alaska come close (with fanart turned off) there are still some things I like to see different.
So, after some photoshop mockups I began creating my own skin.

If you want to try it out: it is available with Preen or from GitHub directly (github.com/jaaps/blur)

screen-shot-2010-10-07-at-22.48.31_595.png screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.39.10-pm_595.png

screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.39.24-pm_595.png screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.39.44-pm_595.png

screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.40.12-pm_595.png screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.42.08-pm_595.png

screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.42.29-pm_595.png screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.42.38-pm_595.png

screen-shot-2010-10-02-at-9.42.46-pm_595.png

Comments

• marklightmarklight Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,006 Plex Pass
    This looks great!

Some things
    In the list views I'd like to see the selected item text be bigger than the rest of the others items instead of smaller.
    Also I think you should have a toggle for there to be media flags below the artwork in the movie list view.
    Maybe also include the option to use fanart as a background (dim it like it does in Alaska so it's not so obtrusive).

I don't know about you but I feel like a lot of the skins main menus have become horribly cluttered - especially ones that use vertical columns. Refocus for Plex skin does a decent job of alleviating this by making two columns.

I really like what you've done so far!
  • platanito21platanito21 Members Posts: 9
    Skin looks really nice jaaps. I like your aesthetic. I think some things are just a little too subtle. They look nice in screenshots but if your actually navigating your brain needs to interpret the information very quickly. So I think the selected items need to be a little bigger and bolder. For the home screen, I think the icons should be all the same color scheme (all those different color icons seem to clash with the background to me). Perhaps they can be in a dark gray scale. There are a few settings that I think EVERYONE will want so perhaps you can integrate some but have them turned off by default. To name a few..... Fanart support, media flags, ability to change the background image or color, and maybe a setting that makes all the text just a little bit bigger for people that are far from their TV (or that have smaller screens). I'm kind of like you in that I hate any kind of clutter so I turn off as many settings as I can but I do like to have a very subtle looking fanart behind my movie posters (like only 20% visible). Would be great to be able to change that green to perhaps a couple of other color options (not everyone likes green). Anyway, good luck with the skin. Its looking great so far. Might become my default when you release it. How close are you to actually completing it?

P.S - I'm a Graphic Designer so my visual suggestions are not coming from some random person. I deal a lot with user interfaces...
  • jaapsjaaps Members, Plex Pass Posts: 187 Plex Pass
    Thanks for the comments.

About the active focused item:
    list:
    - It does a slide animation so I think it's easy to see which item is active. Also I tried making the non-active items more transparent but it wasn't working nicely with some background
    panel:
    - It does a zoom/pop animation so I find it also easy to see which item is active.
    But I understand what you guys mean. Maybe adding a secondary color could solve this.

About the background:
    - You can choose from 2 presets (green and purple) and three bokeh settings (off, bokeh1, bokeh2). And ofcourse your own background

About mediaflags and fanart:
    - I'll leave this to the modders.
  • JayBirdJayBird Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Looks really nice. Liking the purple version!!!
    Just trying something different...
    [attachment=4272:blur_listtest.png]
    [attachment=4273:blur_listtest2.png]
    Or perhaps somethings like this...[attachment=4275:listtest2.png][attachment=4274:listtest.png]
  • nameundecidednameundecided Members Posts: 26
    I like this quite a bit. I don't know if I would use it exclusively, but it is a skin that I'd be very excited to have.

I don't know how you'd feel about my saying this, but it does remind me quite a bit of Windows Media Player (from what I remember of it, using it a little more than a year ago). Though, it's probably just the font that makes me say that.

Really, this is nice. I also like how it's minimal enough to where a person with minimal to no coding experience, like myself, could learn just enough to change the background or homescreen icons if they so desire and still maintain its really nice uniform design.
  • jper415jper415 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 221 Plex Pass
    This looks awesome. I can't wait to take it for a spin. Thanks for all of your hard work.
    After looking over the screens one more time I have to say this is looking great. I hope that you included all of the shown backgrounds. I would love to be able to switch it up form time to time.

Also, I just wanted to toss in my vote for the original design of the "indicator." I like how the selected movie pops out, it looks so clean and smooth. Not clunky at all! Keep it up!
    There will be four backgrounds with four different bokeh options (bokeh off, bokeh1, bokeh2 and bokeh1+bokeh2). Also, you can always choose your own background.
    Here is a screenshot from the green with bokeh and a screen of a new background called "Dark Night":

[attachment=4291:backgroundbokeh.png]
    [attachment=4290:backgroundblack.png]
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,901 Plex Pass
    I like Dark Night :D
  • aaron.paceaaron.pace Members, Plex Pass Posts: 139 Plex Pass
    I really like this skin a LOT. The only thing I'd like is the media tagging to show up, in a nice font design like you have now. This is clean cut and really well done.
  • hrcolb0hrcolb0 Members Posts: 1,239 ✭✭
    this is really looking nice and clean. I like the added texture behind the selected item.
    Lishper McGavin wrote on 26 September 2010 - 10:57 AM:

I really like this skin a LOT. The only thing I'd like is the media tagging to show up, in a nice font design like you have now. This is clean cut and really well done.

I totally agree with this. Media tagging would really make this skin complete. I know the author indicated that it would be left up to the modders for that though. Maybe once this skin is out in the wild somehow can add that in....
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,901 Plex Pass
    I like media flags, too.
  • degTechdegTech Members, Plex Pass Posts: 51 Plex Pass
    I like where you are headed with Blur, especially the Dark Night theme. ... patiently waiting for more.
    For those who like fanart I now added an option (defaults to off) to show fanart. Also there is now a HD icon for 720/1080p content (this can also be turned on/off).

Currently I'm working on the Dialogs and OSD, which are giving me some trouble to look nice.. still trying out several mockups. After that I need to do the Music and Photos and some smaller things.. so still a long way to go.. but atleast I'm making progress.
    Awesome! Thanks for the update :D I can't wait to test it when it's ready :)
  • eyeballtickler7eyeballtickler7 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 153 Plex Pass
    Looking absolutely great!

I really like the blue
  • VideomindVideomind Members Posts: 20
    edited September 2010
    Beautiful skin! Very relaxing to look at, minimalistic is the way to go. Keep it up!