If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Music Release Dates Are Wrong

infinitejellyinfinitejelly Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2016 in macOS/OS X (Mac)

I have a Plex Premium Music library and when I sort the albums by release date, I can see that the release dates in Plex are all wrong. There are a bunch of albums that have January 1, 2015 as the release date and no albums newer than that. I tried enabled the agent to scan and use embedded metadata in the files. The dates in the embedded metdata are correct (I've used MusicBrainz Picard to tag my collection properly), but Plex seems to ignore the date altogether.

Any advice?

Answers

• amsterdecoamsterdeco Posts: 1Members

I have the same problem. Release dates work for flac and mp4 music files but for mp3 the dates always say January 1st even though I have tagged them correctly (using ID3 tags in MusicBrainz Picard). Pretty annoying that Plex won't read the tags correctly!

• infinitejellyinfinitejelly Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This appears to still be an issue. I just added a FLAC album to Plex with 2016-05-06 set as the date, but Plex shows the release date as January 1, 2016. Anyone else have this problem? Plex is almost a great music client but this bug is a big one for me.

• rayrluffrayrluff Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also have this problem and it's an issue for syncing recently released albums to my phone.

• bobackboback Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same problem. Year is right, but most dates are Jan 1. Need to use actual full release date.

• willtroutwilltrout Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

any update on this getting a fix?

• lehm589lehm589 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been seeing the same issue for quite some time. Haven't seen any response from devs.

Large majority of dates return Jan 1 with the Year the only data that changes. Not really any point to having this sorting as an option if it's not functional. Disappointing.