If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Release: Sub-Zero 2.0.33.1871 - Subtitles done right.

Comments

• ledge74ledge74 Posts: 274Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can't wait to try this ! :)

My Projects:

• Cast Rocket for Plex, a Chrome extension for sending online content to be played on your Plex client. 
  • pannipanni Posts: 1,056Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

@ledge74 I'm aiming for tomorrow :)

• aptalcaaptalca Posts: 281Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2015

@aptalca I can't open that link, I don't have a Plex Pass :/ (I would've, but the lifetime costs doubled)
    Can you quote?

• aptalcaaptalca Posts: 281Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It was posted as a feature request for plex. Here's the full quote:

Plex is great, but the subtitle support is really sub par compared to alternatives.
    I have some suggestions on how this could be improved:
    1) Allow for bulk subtitle searching as a scheduled task.
    Reason: Especially for TV shows, when the media is first added to library, there may not be subtitles available yet. The agent finds no subtitles and never searches again. The only way to make it search is by going to the web interface and force a refresh (not available through clients). As a scheduled task, a subtitle search could be triggered later when subtitles are indeed available.
    2) Allow for retrieving a different subtitle.
    Reason: I don't know why, but very frequently, the subtitle downloaded by plex is not the right one. If so, I'm stuck. No way to change it. I'm forever stuck with that wrong subtitle (unless I manually try to find it and delete it, but that's not straightforward and a is a pain)
    3) In the clients, allow for initiating a subtitle search (or a refresh).
    Reason: 99% of the time I'm using plex on a client (roku, android, firetv, etc.). If I try to watch a show and realize there is no subtitle for it (which is 90% of the time due to reason explained in item #1 above), I have to go find a computer, open the web interface, hit refresh and hope to god that it retrieves the right subtitle.
    If the wrong subtitle is retrieved, I often fire up xbmc/kodi because it has excellent subtitle support.
    Anyone who agrees with the above suggestions, please like this post, and not one of the comments below. If you +1, that's OK, but please make sure you "like" this post as well, because that's all that matters to the plex team.
    Thanks

It seems #1 will be taken care of in the next update of this plugin. #2 is not really an issue with this plugin, so far it seems to retrieve the right subtitle every time. #3 will not be needed with the scheduler task.

I also updated that thread and put a link for this one.

I'm really looking forward to the new feature.

edited October 2015

And #2 is not that big of an issue as SZ supports filesystem subtitles instead of metadata, so they're easy to find and delete.
    #3 is planned in several ways.

• PMAdminPMAdmin Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Version 3 sounds good panni! Wanna check it out mate.

• chopetachopeta Posts: 182Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow!

Can't wait to see what else you're cooking up @panni

Jesus, my prayers have been heard ! :D

Thank you so much for all the efforts @panni, this automatic search feature is gold for people like us who rely on subtitles to enjoy our media.

I will test your plugin thoroughly and report any issue if I can find some. I have played a bit with the new "channel" feature and I have found out that if I press "refresh items with missing subtitles", all my recently added media are being refreshed, even though a lot already have both english and french subtitles. I store my subtitles next to the media. Is this normal behavior?

And I see that you have added an option to reset subtitle information storage. I am curious about this feature, can you tell us how it works? Like where are the information stored? What information are stored (I believe the previous subtitle and its score are part of what is being stored)? How are this information used (for example does Sub-Zero download a new subtitle if it can find some with a higher score?)?

In the meantime I think we cal all agree to say ..

My Projects:

• Cast Rocket for Plex, a Chrome extension for sending online content to be played on your Plex client. 
  • PMAdminPMAdmin Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nice panni! Going to test is in the upcoming days. Thank you for your efforts. :)>-

edited October 2015

@ledge74 said:
    I have played a bit with the new "channel" feature and I have found out that if I press "refresh items with missing subtitles", all my recently added media are being refreshed, even though a lot already have both english and french subtitles. I store my subtitles next to the media. Is this normal behavior?

Nope, that's not intended. Normally it should skip those items for which all subtitle languages exist.
    Please post your log around the lines of "Triggering refresh for".

And I see that you have added an option to reset subtitle information storage. I am curious about this feature, can you tell us how it works? Like where are the information stored? What information are stored (I believe the previous subtitle and its score are part of what is being stored)? How are this information used (for example does Sub-Zero download a new subtitle if it can find some with a higher score?)?

Currently that stored info isn't used anywhere, but it will be, in future releases. I just thought collecting data early can only help later.
    The info is stored in Plex's plugin-specific key/value-store. The data collected is: provider_name, subtitle_id (provider-specific), score, page_link, storage_type (metadata or external), content_hash (md5).
    And now that I think about it, I should include the download date of the subtitle in the next release.

@panni that's what I thought also. Here is the log extract (it goes on and on for ever) :
    2015-10-25 19:14:10,107 (116158000) : INFO (missing_subtitles:59) - Subs still missing for 'Foxcatcher': set([<Language [fr]>, <Language [en]>]) 2015-10-25 19:14:10,107 (116158000) : INFO (missing_subtitles:62) - Triggering refresh for 'Foxcatcher' 2015-10-25 19:14:10,128 (116158000) : DEBUG (logger:21) - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool: "PUT /library/metadata/1479/refresh HTTP/1.1" 200 198 2015-10-25 19:14:10,160 (116158000) : DEBUG (logger:21) - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool: "GET /library/metadata/1478 HTTP/1.1" 200 2927 2015-10-25 19:14:10,168 (116158000) : INFO (missing_subtitles:59) - Subs still missing for 'Gravity Falls S01E01': set([<Language [fr]>, <Language [en]>]) 2015-10-25 19:14:10,169 (116158000) : INFO (missing_subtitles:62) - Triggering refresh for 'Gravity Falls S01E01' 2015-10-25 19:14:10,193 (116158000) : DEBUG (logger:21) - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool: "PUT /library/metadata/1478/refresh HTTP/1.1" 200 198 2015-10-25 19:14:10,430 (116158000) : DEBUG (logger:21) - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool: "GET /library/metadata/1477 HTTP/1.1" 200 2990 2015-10-25 19:14:10,437 (116158000) : INFO (missing_subtitles:59) - Subs still missing for 'Gravity Falls S01E02': set([<Language [fr]>, <Language [en]>]) 2015-10-25 19:14:10,438 (116158000) : INFO (missing_subtitles:62) - Triggering refresh for 'Gravity Falls S01E02'

My Projects:

edited October 2015

What are your scan settings? Embedded and external checked? Which languages did you choose - only fr and en?

Edit: I think I forgot some brackets, please try the bleeding edge, https://github.com/pannal/Sub-Zero/archive/1.3.0.zip. To avoid the full rescan (if the bleeding edge doesn't fix the problem) you can add all your library IDs to the scheduler section blacklist option and add a new library with only one item in it.

Everyone else testing 1.3.0: Please wait for a bugfix release or add all your section IDs to the scheduler section blacklist to avoid unnecessary full library refreshes. Though it isn't that bad as the actual item refreshes don't enforce a subtitle search.

Works good now :)

My Projects:

edited October 2015

Great, thanks for testing.

Everone: 1.3.0.222 Beta bugfix release, https://github.com/pannal/Sub-Zero/releases/tag/1.3.0.222

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,100Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited October 2015

Thank you for this agent. Looks like it will be a lovely addition to Plex!
    Is the agent supposed to have the name Sub-Zero subtitles (TV, X.X.X.XXX) when I look at the agent list for my movie PMA (primary metadata agent)?

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
  • arabianhexarabianhex Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you for this agent it really completes my media server.
    is there any progress on moving 1.3 release from beta to stable?

• ressofressof Posts: 17Members ✭✭

@panni I have a problem with the encoding of swedish subtitles. Everywhere in the subtitle file "å" is replaced with "ĺ". Is there any way to fix this?