If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

High Quality video rendering planned?

The Fire KahunaThe Fire Kahuna Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited May 2016 in Plex Media Player

Let me start by saying thanks. This is a huge step up from anything Plex has offered before for home theatre video playback in terms of potential. I think that PMP is a great start towards something powerful long-term. Using MPV as the backend and ditching XP, 32bit and DirectSound bodes well for this apps longevity (it could become the basis for the universal app, creating the most powerful experience on many devices). I like the concept for the UI (looks very pleasing, and functions very well right off the bat) and so my only wish in terms of layout would be a 'dense option' for larger displays but also for people very close to their screens (monitors, etc). Whitespace is a little much right now.

I am glad to see that Plex Media Player uses something like MPV rather than the MediaFoundation stack or simple DXVA2 rendering. My only concern is that while MPV offers some great upscaling/dithering/motion settings, it doesn't seem like they are in use or have the option to be used in PMP. After spending a long time investigating the different config options for the video renderer (which were familiar since I have been using madVR for years and researched all this extensively).
vo=opengl-cb:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=spline36:interpolation:dither-depth=auto:dscale=mitchell:sigmoid-upscaling:fancy-downscaling:deband:tscale-clamp

Update: 2016 settings, based on newer builds, new defaults and more research
Low-End Settings
vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=lanczos:cscale=lanczos:dscale=mitchell:temporal-dither:dither-depth=auto:correct-downscaling:interpolation

Mid-End Settings (recommended)
vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=spline36:cscale=spline36:dscale=mitchell:temporal-dither:dither-depth=auto:correct-downscaling:interpolation:sigmoid-upscaling

High-End Settings
vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=ewa_ginseng:scale-antiring=0.75:cscale=spline36:dscale=mitchell:temporal-dither:dither-depth=auto:correct-downscaling:interpolation:sigmoid-upscaling

Very-High-End Settings
vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=ewa_ginseng:scale-antiring=0.75:cscale=ewa_ginseng:dscale=mitchell:temporal-dither:dither-depth=auto:correct-downscaling:interpolation:sigmoid-upscaling

_If your display does 24p/24hz, remove :interpolation

Placing that in the mpv.conf massively improved the quality of the video output, especially the motion (just the interpolation setting alone is a huge improvement). My question is whether there are plans to support a 'High Quality' checkbox in the Video settings that would much higher quality output (It's hard to watch 24hz content on a 60hz screen without the smooth motion you get with interpolation (which here isn't the 'soap opera' effect, very different method)). I was also wondering whether there are some key config options I am missing in my vo= line that the PMP team is using to ensure minimal framedrops (DwmFlushing?).

Besdies this, I was curious about the plans for some of the better featues supported on other Plex clients like:

• Seek Bar
  • Chapters
  • Selecting a subtitle/language by clicking on the text before entering the video (Plex Web)
  • Scrolling with a mouse (All Win platforms, sort of critical)
  • Dedicated back button for Mouse/Touch
  • Using content posters as a background right through the UI (PHT, the current blur backgrounds have SEVERE banding)

Finally, two small bugs. When your viewing posters in a grid (1080p) on Plex, for some reason every second row is slightly blury compared to the other rows. Its slight, but if I put together a PNG comparison you would easily see the difference. Its based on the row, as if you move the posters along, previously blury ones in the right row become crisp.

Second one is that the load time for backgrounds is way too long when your using the arrows to move between TV Shows (though its long when you enter an entry too). You click, the new info shows, then over a second later the new background shows.

Best Answer

Answers

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,615Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@The Fire Kahuna said:

Placing that in the mpv.conf massively improved the quality of the video output, especially the motion (just the interpolation setting alone is a huge improvement). My question is whether there are plans to support a 'High Quality' checkbox in the Video settings that would much higher quality output (It's hard to watch 24hz content on a 60hz screen without the smooth motion you get with interpolation (which here isn't the 'soap opera' effect, very different method)).

Yes, this is planned. Not sure when we'll get to it.

I was also wondering whether there are some key config options I am missing in my vo= line that the PMP team is using to ensure minimal framedrops (DwmFlushing?).

This particular option is not available in PMP, because we embed the player in Qt, and the player itself has actually no control about the window. Implementing it would likely require hacking Qt. (Not sure how technical I can get with my explanation.)

However, it shouldn't be needed in fullscreen mode.

(The other issues can be answered better by other devs.)

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,615Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@The Fire Kahuna said:
    vo=opengl-cb:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=spline36:interpolation:dither-depth=auto:dscale=mitchell:sigmoid-upscaling:fancy-downscaling:deband:tscale-clamp

PS: I think this should be vo-defaults=opengl-cb:... (technical reasons to to how the option system works, and how PMP interacts with it - I'll likely change and simplify this)

• skpManiacskpManiac Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

some good insights in this question - Some of us want the highest quality we can get and have the power to get it, so PLEASE bring this as soon as possible :)

• BRBManBRBMan Posts: 357Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:
    PS: I think this should be vo-defaults=opengl-cb:... (technical reasons to to how the option system works, and how PMP interacts with it - I'll likely change and simplify this)

the ones above worked perfect. Changing to this made it studder and jump badly

• The Fire KahunaThe Fire Kahuna Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2015

Changing it to

vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=spline36:cscale=spline36:interpolation:dither-depth=auto:dscale=mitchell:sigmoid-upscaling:fancy-downscaling:deband:tscale=oversample

worked quite well actually (ewa_lanczossharp seems to cause many frame drops, mpv's implementation isn't very optimized). It seems like there is less frame drops when I use it like this, is that placebo or is it because that option adds on-top of what you've selected, rather than wiping out your settings?

I've also added
    ad=lavc:libdcadec

Because I wasn't sure whether libdcadec was being used for DTS/DTS-ES as well, it decodes those with high-quality output. (noticed that PMS doesn't report 7.1 yet for DTS-HD MA)

Second last technical question, is MPV built with the filters that the 'af lavfi' option exposes (libavfilter from FFmpeg). There is one audio filter that I absolutely love in the newest nightly builds of MPC-HC called Stereo Crossfeed (using their new Internal Audio Renderer based on WASAPI), which blends a bit of the left/right channels to create a much better Stereo mix even after downmixing. The problem is that if I use

af=lavfi=graph="bs2b=profile=jmeier"

to enable the filter that does this in FFmpeg's libavfilter library I get this
    2015-10-23 09:59:10 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 401 - af: Adding filter lavfi
    2015-10-23 09:59:10 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 401 - af: Setting option 'graph' = 'bs2b=profile=jmeier' (flags = 0)
    2015-10-23 09:59:10 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 401 - lavfi: lavfi: create graph: 'bs2b=profile=jmeier'
    2015-10-23 09:59:10 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 401 - ffmpeg: src: tb:1/48000 samplefmt:s32 samplerate:48000 chlayout:0x60f
    2015-10-23 09:59:10 [ ERROR ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 407 - ffmpeg: No such filter: 'bs2b'
    2015-10-23 09:59:10 [ ERROR ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 407 - lavfi: Can't configure libavfilter graph.

When it should be able to be used in lavfi as said here:
    http://git.srsfckn.biz/mpv/log/?id=d04d2380e35ba016e3816ab5d7c282997df74168&qt=grep&q=bs2b
    And I think to do so lavfi needs to be built with it enabled as seen here:
    https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-cvslog/2014-May/076963.html
    by adding this to the build of that FFmpeg
    --enable-libbs2b

Is it possible this could be added for the next release? Its a very small thing to do, and I know its very niche, but with that in there, it could actually become an option in the Advanced Options for audio. The jmeier profile is almost universally regarded as the best profile, with a very natural crossfeed that doesn't mess with the sound of the audio, yet still improves the stereo imaging for headphone users post-downmixing. It shouldn't really added any significant bloat to your build either, considering how small an option it is.

Final one, is whether there is any sort of filter that can LPF (low-pass filter) the subwoofer channel only before downmixing. The research is for example here: http://www.community.genelec.com/news/21/15/What-is-the-LFE-Channel---Tip-7/ that Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA both use the LFE channel as a full-range channel, and often when a studio does their mix for a film, they use audio equipment that low-pass filter the LFE channel to remove garbage above 100hz (meaning, they wouldn't realise there is garbage in the LFE channel). In fact, because of this, you can see in the Table Note that the decoder is meant to low-pass filter the LFE channel at 100hz. There was an extensive conversation in the LAV Filters forum about this, where people discovered that a lot of movies do have garbage in the LFE channel (Dark Knight, Interstellar, many more), and that the decoder is meant to filter that out (unless your bitstreaming).

Most Recievers will do this (some even with PCM), but any PC sound card/headphones will not unless the player does it for them. Even worse, if you downmix before using a low-pass filter, all the garbage in the LFE channel is mixed into the final output. Unfortunately both libdcadec and FFmpeg's TrueHD decoder don't LPF the output, so is there a chance that MPV has a filter or setting in its downmixer (if that's what your using) that could do this to improve the final output? (along with some sort of clipping protection option, normalization lowers the volume way too much)

Sorry for these ridiculously long posts, I am just excited that Plex finally has a player backend with such potential :)

• kupan787kupan787 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Would you mind elaborating on what this does?

Is it applicable for all video use cases (720p TV shows, 1080p 24fps video)?
    If my TV supports both 24Hz and 60Hz, does adding this code still provide benefit?

Like @skpManiac said, I'm looking to get the best quality video out of this, so any tweaks are much appreciated.

edited October 2015

This would be the line I recommend after doing further research, especially into interpolation (place in a new file called mpv.conf within AppData/Local/PlexMediaPlayer):
    vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=spline36:cscale=spline36:dither-depth=auto:dscale=mitchell:sigmoid-upscaling:fancy-downscaling:deband:interpolation:tscale=oversample

The only options you dont need for a 24hz display are the :interpolation:tscale=oversample options (smooth motion). The rest all still provide benefits to the final output:

scale/cscale improve the uscaling algorithm used to scale a video from to your native resolution, and for cscales case for even native resolution content (chroma (color) resolution for 99% of video is halved, it needs to be upscaled back to native res)
    Warning: spline36 is the best compromise between quality/performance that MPV currently offers. ewa_lanczossharp:scale-antiring=0.75 (also known as Jinc) is an option, but it isn't very well optimized in MPV. Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+D opens up the debug panel, and if you play a video you can see a section about dropping frames. Be careful that you are not dropping frames when using these settings, Jinc can do that (it does look better, but be careful of the cost).
    dither-depth=auto ensures that dithering is used when converting from the 16 bit processing chain to 8 bit. Without it there can be banding artifacts.
    dscale:mitchell controls the downscaling algorithm. Mitchell is a relatively strong algo here, and I believe MPV's mitchell is equivalent to madVR's catmull-rom
    sigmoid-upscaling/fancy-downscaling minimise artifacts like ringing and other side effects of the scaling algorithms.
    deband is a great filter to reduce the artifact known as banding (Google for info) which is prevalent in large gradients and especially with animated content

Lastly interpolation (combined with tscale=oversample which is the algorithm used). I cant explain it as well as this wiki article, so heres the detailed link: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Interpolation
    Short version is that it removes the problem that occurs when watching 24fps content on a 60fps display, ending the judder/stutter that would usually occur and providing a smooth output.

On top of these settings, I would recommend the audio syncing set to Display, not Audio (unless the temporary lip-sync bug for some broken files effects you, if it does use the setting ones its fixed). It is again best explained by this wiki: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Display-synchronization

Its a superior method to ensuring A/V Sync without dropping/repeating frames.

edited October 2015

Spent some final time looking at some of the higher quality upscaling algorithms, the lossless comparions that MPV offers, and research on the variations of the Jinc algorithm, and I found that ewa_ginseng is a slightly faster alternative to ewa_lanczossharp. It also has the advantage of not destroying the smoothness of playback, For some reason lanczossharp would not provide smooth playback. On top of that, I found 2-3 more settings to change, and the final output is great.

Hiqh Quality settings
    vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=ewa_ginseng:scale-antiring=0.75:cscale=ewa_ginseng:dither-depth=auto:temporal-dither:dscale=mitchell:sigmoid-upscaling:fancy-downscaling:deband:interpolation:tscale=oversample:scaler-resizes-only:pbo

Quality settings
    vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=spline36:scale-antiring=0.75:cscale=spline36:dither-depth=auto:temporal-dither:dscale=mitchell:sigmoid-upscaling:fancy-downscaling:deband:interpolation:tscale=oversample:scaler-resizes-only:pbo

New settings:
    ewa_ginseng: Variation on the Jinc algorithm, using a slightly different setup. Seems to provide much smoother playback, while still maintaining almost identical results.
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiki/mpv-player/mpv/upscaling/ewa_lanczossharp.png
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiki/mpv-player/mpv/upscaling/ewa_ginseng.png
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiki/mpv-player/mpv/upscaling/spline36.png
    scale-antiring: Prevents ringing artifacts introduced by algorithms like spline and jinc.
    temporal-dither: Changes the dithering positions every frame to hide dithering patterns.
    scaler-resizes-only: Improves performance by ensuring expensive upscaling algorithms aren't loaded for native resolution content (doesn't affect cscale)
    pbo: This is likely already enabled by default, but the documentation isn't clear on that for opengl-cb. Enabled to ensure maximum performance.

I can confirm these aren't placebo and are actually being used by MPV through the log:

• vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'scale' = 'ewa_ginseng' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'scale-antiring' = '0.75' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'cscale' = 'ewa_ginseng' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'dither-depth' = 'auto' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'temporal-dither' = '' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'dscale' = 'mitchell' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'sigmoid-upscaling' = '' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'fancy-downscaling' = '' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'deband' = '' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'interpolation' = '' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'tscale' = 'oversample' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'scaler-resizes-only' = '' (flags = 0)
    • vo/opengl-cb: Setting option 'pbo' = '' (flags = 0)
    edited October 2015

Is MadVR's faster? We've noticed that for many scalers mpv tends to require less GPU power than MadVR. But the ewa scalers have indeed quite high requirements.

I know that madVR has heavily optimized its Jinc implementation (even in its D3D9 state), and noticed that MPV developers have commented a couple times that its implementation is at least messy. I noticed major stutter issues using ewa_lanczossharp, but absolutely none with scale=ewa_ginseng:scale-antiring=0.75 (for both luma and chroma) which is just Jinc with one part swapped out, producing almost identical results. Also noticed that the developer said it was much better implemented than ewa_lanczos.

That's how I came to these final settings:
    vo-defaults=opengl-cb:scale=ewa_ginseng:scale-antiring=0.75:cscale=ewa_ginseng:dither-depth=auto:temporal-dither:dscale=mitchell:sigmoid-upscaling:fancy-downscaling:deband:interpolation:tscale=oversample:scaler-resizes-only:pbo

Its basically the opengl-hq defaults with a much better algorithm (an ultra setting basically), temporal dithering (experienced good results with that in madVR), possibly deband (might be a hq default), scalar-resizes-only to ensure 1:1 native res output and the absolutely crucial interpolation, which I cannot live without anymore (was always the deal-breaker in regards to Plex). The only one I am confused about is pbo (whether its necessary, the documentation isn't clear on opengl-cb defaults).

There's no need for this - it's the default.

I noticed that today when the logs showed it was always libdcadec :) Thankyou for the foresight to implement it completely.

It is. But bs2b in particular (and some others) require external libraries. These must be present at compilation time, so we'd have to modify our builds. I can look if we can add bs2b. (Can't promise it for the next release, so much to do.)

That's awesome to hear.

Thankyou for this, besides a seekbar, mouse scrolling and chapters, with this PMP is basically 1:1 functionality with MPC-HC/madVR/LAV, especially thanks to the MPV backend, DTS-HD MA decoding (way too many movies use this for it not to be decoded properly), FLAC support (though Album view and album shuffle are the final pieces of the music puzzle for me) which helps especially for Anime, full subtitle support (PGS and ASS are absolutely essential), Exclusive mode (for both movies and music, so good) and finally 10 bit decoding. So happy Plex has moved to this level, and will continue to evolve simply because it uses such well supported and developed backends.

Quick thing, to court audiophiles and music enthusiasts, expose ReplayGain settings, which should be implemented in MPV already and emphasis gapless playback along with WASAPI Exclusive. Provide album shuffle along with a way to edit the metadata of the music within the player and you have everything an enthusiast would need with their music player.

I don't know if there's already a filter that does this, though it sounds relatively simple. Can you link the LAV thread?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191&page=945
    There should be more on prior pages, but on that page there should even be two samples showing the issue you could use to investigate with. Its a general issue with production that only shows itself when you take the receiver out of the equation and use software decoding on a PC.

Thankyou again for PMP, look forward to improvements with the UI (especially in regards to some sort of 'dense' (third row) option and vertical scrolling) along with mouse support :). Also looking forward to MPV's plans to provide an OpenGL backend using Direct3D interop, which apparently will expose much more powerful control over timings and vsync with Windows, hopefully closing the door on those issues indefinitely.
    https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Stuff-to-do

@The Fire Kahuna said:
    The only one I am confused about is pbo (whether its necessary, the documentation isn't clear on opengl-cb defaults).

Technically it affects video texture upload. In my own tests, it made a big difference for 4K video when playing on a nvidia GPU, but there were also other users with other hardware who reported disimprovements. It really depends.

Quick thing, to court audiophiles and music enthusiasts, expose ReplayGain settings, which should be implemented in MPV already and emphasis gapless playback along with WASAPI Exclusive.

Both replaygain and gapless are sort of planned, but still need work.

Also looking forward to MPV's plans to provide an OpenGL backend using Direct3D interop, which apparently will expose much more powerful control over timings and vsync with Windows, hopefully closing the door on those issues indefinitely.

This doesn't affect PMP, because in PMP window handling is done by Qt. But yes, in mpv we hope that this will improve Windows support, but since nobody tried yet, we don't know for sure how much it will help. If it does help a lot, I might try to add this to Qt.

Also, thanks for the doom9 link with the LFE discussion. (Silly doom9 and its overlong threads...)

edited October 2015

Technically it affects video texture upload. In my own tests, it made a big difference for 4K video when playing on a nvidia GPU, but there were also other users with other hardware who reported disimprovements. It really depends.

Understandable. Using a NVidia GPU, so fully onboard with that setting then :)

This doesn't affect PMP, because in PMP window handling is done by Qt. But yes, in mpv we hope that this will improve Windows support, but since nobody tried yet, we don't know for sure how much it will help. If it does help a lot, I might try to add this to Qt.

Once a firm interface between DXGI/DWM and MPV is established, it will definitely be worth using it. Timing issues are horrid, and dropped frames are the ultimate evil :). madVR for example has tried many, many different methods and calls to DWM/D3D, and that is without an interop or OpenGL. A cleaner interface is always preferable, and I imagine it will be much more precise than Qt.

Also, thanks for the doom9 link with the LFE discussion. (Silly doom9 and its overlong threads...)

No problem, hope it helps. Would love to know that my bass isn't crackling because of the video I am watching, but because my headphones are **** :)

Should see the madVR thread. 1694 pages and going strong.

• sonicblue83sonicblue83 Posts: 412Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I did try this out and it really did improve picture quality a lot. I just had to delete the interpolation part since my display is 24p which caused some weird effects. But with your option activated I would say that PMP has the same picture quality as PHT or is at least very very close.

From what I can tell, the processing here should be better then PHT. It should in many areas be equivalent to madVR's processing. It matches the 16-bit processing chain (for massively improved precision), the high quality chroma upscaling/luma upscaling, the smooth motion functionality along with debanding. What it lacks, is a solid anti-ringing algorithm, an optimized full-Jinc implementation, the stability of madVR's presentation and its newer SuperRes algorithm for upscaling refinement, along with the newest SuperXBR image doubling algorithm (MPV's implementation is barebones).

In regards to PHT though, I dont believe it used a 16-bit chain, its algorithms were most likely Bilinear/Bicubic, and it lacked many other improvements that would maintain the quality of the original image.

• cryptochromecryptochrome Posts: 977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

All the haters should read this thread to see what has been done under the hood and what will be possible. Great stuff.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    http://flickr.com/cryptochrome
    Twitter: @cryptochrome
  • MartinAylaMartinAyla Posts: 848Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is a very informational thread, thanks for all the info! I will try the settings listed here.

We often forget that beneath all the features, video playback (and quality) is the main purpose of an app like Plex Media Player.

/Martin

• MartinAylaMartinAyla Posts: 848Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow, the new PMP mpv engine is really efficient it seems (compared to PHT/Kodi);

When playing back a full 1080p Blu-ray remux of Gravity, PMP is only using ca. 10-12% CPU on my MacBook Pro with i5 CPU.

/Martin

@sonicblue83 said:
    I did try this out and it really did improve picture quality a lot. I just had to delete the interpolation part since my display is 24p which caused some weird effects. But with your option activated I would say that PMP has the same picture quality as PHT or is at least very very close.

In theory, if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
    1. enable interpolation
    2. enable sync to display
    3. the video fps is almost the same as the display refresh rate (and the display refresh rate is reported correctly, plus the file you're playing has not one of those timestamp issues)
    4. your GPU is not too slow

... then interpolation should be a no-op. But it can be quite hard to tell which of these conditions is is not fulfilled.

• sonicblue83sonicblue83 Posts: 412Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:
    ... then interpolation should be a no-op. But it can be quite hard to tell which of these conditions is is not fulfilled.

Most probably the GPU. I use a late 2012 Mac Mini which has an Intel HD4000.

@vlang said:

Maybe a debug flag for interpolation? (For the debug OSD, would be great to know if its enabled or not)